Nile Online vs Ikariam

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
Niempie

Postby Niempie » Fri May 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Hmm, maybe I should try the Plus option, that way I can trade 1:1 and get the marble needed for my embassy...

ImaniNile

Trade within the Alliance

Postby ImaniNile » Sat May 09, 2009 2:20 pm

"darlingBri" wrote:I started playing IK to fill in time on NO. With a 24 hour upgrade, there isn't a lot to do on NO besides throw bread at monuments and do my daily trades with my partners. That's completely fine - it's how the game was designed - but I like that you can be in a state of constant activity on IK if you choose to.

More than that, though, I like the Alliance aspect of IK a lot. I like having the opportunity to band together and build our own community, to debate and decide on our own rules, and to interact for good or for evil with other alliances, too. Alliances have a strong role in IK whereas they would be entirely pointless in NO because the gameplay is different.

Our alliance is, naturally enough, the Nile Alliance, and it is only open to current players of Nile Online :) We have ten current members and another four NO players currently building their IK embassies in order to join. If you play NO and you're looking for a relaxed, democratic alliance to join in IK with some familiar faces, you'll find yourself very welcome.

I have joined IK and completed the form for membership into the Alliance. I am currently researching "Expansion" and expect to begin research on "Foreign Cultures" by the end of today. In the interim, can the NO players on IK share their coordinates so that I can trade among those within the Alliance? I'm at 44:40 on sulfer, name Lady Kemet. I'm in need of crystal and marble.

darlingBri

Postby darlingBri » Sun May 10, 2009 2:23 am

"Amun Nefer" wrote:Yeah, I mean for IK, it's definitely some form of extortion.

Why is it extortion? You do not need to buy ambrosia to play, and they have to make a living. What's wrong with the model they have?

The features are very nice and quite addictive (which is very smart of them) but they don't get you anywhere you can't go without them.

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Sun May 10, 2009 4:42 am

Basically you can purchase a great advantage over other players. So it forces players to either buy ambrosia or become someone else's raiding post. Why do you think even though I started about a week after you guys I'm so far ahead of everyone except Emeny? (other than that it could be that my research might be bugged and going to fast)

darlingBri

Postby darlingBri » Mon May 11, 2009 3:30 am

But you're not the only one using ambrosia - others of us are as well, so that can't be the advantage. Possibly you're just a better player!

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Mon May 11, 2009 3:55 am

Lol, fat chance of that being the case. (I'm guessing Sip is one of those using) Maybe the very good raiding posts nearby? :D

Siptah
Location: Fürth, Germany | Immortal in Sabah | as Men Maat Ra in Sabah & Theoris now

Postby Siptah » Mon May 11, 2009 6:53 am

i bought ambrosia.... but since i have not a single worker working in ressources i only use it for the better UI

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Mon May 11, 2009 4:01 pm

You don't have anyone working in resources? Why? Oh yes, you can also get a few features which are similar to ArmEagle's script here, except you have to pay for them.

Siptah
Location: Fürth, Germany | Immortal in Sabah | as Men Maat Ra in Sabah & Theoris now

Postby Siptah » Mon May 11, 2009 8:10 pm

amun because i pillage more than enough and this way i get lots of gold

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Mon May 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Well I pillage a lot too and I also have workers on resources. ;)

Michlo
Location: Originally Merseyside, England now Los Angeles, USA

Postby Michlo » Tue May 12, 2009 6:00 am

The ambrosia does not give a game-breaking advantage. Unlike NO, it merely offers enhancements. Everyone, with or without ambrosia can "complete" the game or make the same journey.

markedisonchua
Location: Chemaphy Slaying Problem Market and Cyberwarface Office

Postby markedisonchua » Wed May 13, 2009 4:47 am

GUys I am in NY servewr IKARIAM.ORG

In Ellas alliance one of the strongest in NY Server
My Name is TINKER I AM 7 MO already playing... 10 10 08

Aramel

Postby Aramel » Wed May 13, 2009 5:38 pm

"markedisonchua" wrote:(edit: removed by me due to font being too annoying)

Good for you now, go back to the Ikariam boards. :P

Fenehk

Postby Fenehk » Thu May 14, 2009 1:36 pm

I played Ikariam for a while. I didn't "get" it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've quit it again now. Somehow, when I started playing NO, I very quickly realized what I wanted to do and how to strive for it. But in Ikariam, every day just seemed to be upgrading a random building because I had nothing better to do. I never felt like the game gave me something to aim for.

It DOES win on the hilarious grammatical errors point, though. It's got plenty of those! Very, very pretty graphics dragged down into the dirt by poor cleaning up of building graphics and terrible language use...

Aetheric

Postby Aetheric » Thu May 14, 2009 6:26 pm

I've been thinking the exact same thing as you Fenehk.
I love NO, but I'm not getting into Ikariam because it feels so aimless. At least I enjoy being in the Nile Alliance. I'll stick with it until my ambrosia runs out and see if I change my mind about the game by then.

Aetheric

Postby Aetheric » Tue May 19, 2009 8:47 pm

The Nile Alliance is living in interesting times. I'll let another member fill in the details, but we're facing a threat from a player who probably doesn't have enough friends in real life.
A good alliance really adds a lot to Ikariam. I think I'm going to enjoy this game after all. :)

Aramel

Postby Aramel » Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 am

I realized what I wanted the second I started a game: steam giants!

Those gyrocopters look pretty cool too.

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 pm

Steam Giants are awesome. I should have them in a day or two. :D

Aramel

Curses

Postby Aramel » Sat May 23, 2009 1:09 am

Curse you Amun! Oh well I shall have mine soon enough...

Nabirye

Postby Nabirye » Fri May 29, 2009 10:40 am

I've started playing Ikariam and would like to join the Nile Alliance, how do I go about it? I sent a message to the Alliance but no reply, I think I need sponsorship? Perhaps the Alliance has too many members already.
Any insight is appreciated :)

Return to “General Discussion”