third city - placement advice

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
Rednael

third city - placement advice

Postby Rednael » Sat May 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi,

I need some input on 3rd city placement.

So far, I have 2 cities in the same nome and have 2 monuments in that same nome. The resources are henna and bronze. This has worked out well for me so far, I consider those 2 cities actually one city since the transfer time is only 9 minutes, they work well together and have specialized their production to support each other.

Now I wonder where to put my 3rd city. Considerations I have made so far:

- Would it be smart to have the 3rd city 44 or more nomes away from the other 2 to have a "whole new" market to explore? (since max market coverage is 22 nomes) and should i establish the 3rd city close to 1S/1N to get lower raw material prices, or out in the boonies for higher sell prices? (markets in the boonies less developed = higher sales prices)

- what resource should i go for? I trade on both the market and trade wall so I am not so concerned - any resource can usually be converted 1:1 at the tradewall for any other anyway, so it´s no big deal i feel. any differing opinions on this?

- what about placing the third city also in my starting nome? advantage would be 2 well developed monuments, short travel distance, efficient logistics, much more efficient blessings (when i pay them) - disadvantage would be no new lux material, but do i really need another given the tradewall 1:1 practice? this also means no more market range than i allready have ( This is probably the most important factor against this)

- Are there other factors i have overlooked that are important in 3rd city placement?

Tx :)

abana

Postby abana » Sat May 16, 2009 9:53 pm

I have two cities in the center, but they are 40 nomes apart. I miscounted, meant to make it 44( but I am glad that I did, I've made some really good partners in my second city, and it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't put the city there). My third city is on the outskirts(to take advantage of those prices. I have a monument out there,too. The defense is easier, and I need a way to ship the bread from my sales. You might want to get rid of one of your monuments so that you can do that,too. My fourth city will be on the other end.

For anyone who is figguring that they will attack my monument because I have a lot of bread in transit, remember, it is only on the way to the monument for 9 min.

DavidO

Postby DavidO » Sat May 16, 2009 11:16 pm

You picked the main points, I would add a couple:
- From my experience you only need to go about 10-20 nomes to get a 'new' market, since few players have higher than a level 10 upgraded market. 10 nomes apart is logistically a lot more convenient than 44 nomes apart. Either way a 'new' market is indeed handy.

- You can usually trade 1:1 (+24 hrs) on the trade wall for any resource, but there are mysterious cyclical gluts and shortages on the wall, eg sometimes no gold, sometimes no emeralds... I would go at least into the neighbouring nome for the extra flexibility of a third resource. It's only 9 added minutes.

GaSplat
Location: Splat's Crib 159N on Sabah - where the tools of war can be found ;)

Postby GaSplat » Sun May 17, 2009 6:15 am

I disagree slightly with a couple of these suggestions. A L 10 market is no big deal, and to get the real benefit of spaced cities, you are right, you want very different markets, not just "new".

If you go that route, I recommend cedar so you can build enough boats that it won't bother you to ship stuff around to the better market and to allow you to buy low in one market and sell high in the other. Failing that, try emeralds or gold to expand your end product coverage that does not require full trading.

Forget about moving a monument. If its 9 minutes to the monument and 24 hours to a city or 24 hrs to a monument and 9 minutes to the final city doesn't change your bread and bricks transit times. Keeping them together could ease the logistics of battle by allowing you to build up the barracks in the two cities that are closest (and that saves bread as well).

There are no "right" answers, but those are the ideas I suggest you consider.

abana

Postby abana » Sun May 17, 2009 6:27 am

Having the monument in the outskirts means that the bread in traveling to the monument for only 9 min. If the monument is taken, the bread still keeps traveling. once it is at the monument, and you send it to your city, it is safe. What if you had 10k bread on the way to the monument and it is taken? Tose in the center are more prone to attack. My bread is only at risk for 9 min. I wasn't thinking move the monument, but if it is taken, don't take it back.

I whole heartedly agree, there are no "right" answers.

GaSplat
Location: Splat's Crib 159N on Sabah - where the tools of war can be found ;)

Postby GaSplat » Sun May 17, 2009 6:30 am

Ah, now I understand your point. Have not had to worry much about monument attacks since I put up a decent garrison, but you are right that they could take your monument with bread en route. Then again, you could take it back in time if its 24 hrs out. :)

abana

Postby abana » Sun May 17, 2009 6:34 am

If I have just takin your monument, and there is 10K bread that will be delivered in 3 hours, I am going to try and hold onto it,

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Mon May 18, 2009 3:11 am

Would you see that there was 10k incoming in the logs?

abana

Postby abana » Mon May 18, 2009 3:12 am

Yes you could see it, and how soon it would arrive.

Fenehk

Postby Fenehk » Mon May 18, 2009 4:07 am

Actually, would you? I think the transports and combat pages only update when an event is initiated. I saw that happen when someone was attacking someone's monument. We found that, if two people are attacking the same monument from different distances, the person who claims first it can't see the other attack incoming on their combat screen.

I have to assume the transport screen, since it's practically the same thing, uses the same system. That it adds an event in the affected player's screen the moment a player clicks Ok for something. If that's the case, you couldn't see if there was bread incoming because it was sent before you were the target of it.

abana

Postby abana » Mon May 18, 2009 4:12 am

Feneck, I am quite sure that you could see it in the transport log. do you have two monuments on Sabah. I have one on that I am not using, I will send some bread to it, You take it, and let me know. But I'm not going to ship the bread untill we have confirmed it here.

Return to “General Discussion”