When does an unused account disappear?

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
Herodotus

When does an unused account disappear?

Postby Herodotus » Tue May 19, 2009 6:05 pm

I thought I would have a trial at NO, but something went wrong with my registration. The city was created but I can't log into it, I think presumably because of a typing mistake in my email. (so no confirmation email to click therefore)

Will this just disappear, if so when.

Fenehk

Postby Fenehk » Tue May 19, 2009 6:53 pm

As far as I know, it takes an account five days to get marked as inactive, and after that it'll take at least 5 more days for it to be purged. I guess you might be able to ask Reed to manually remove it or something, though...

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Tue May 19, 2009 8:24 pm

If the mail address is wrong, then you should be able to open a new account at that same address, now typed correctly. The name you chose, however, should be blocked, and if you actually follow through with registering the account, you can follow the history of your doomed city by adding the account to your allies list. :)

Asterix~

Postby Asterix~ » Wed May 20, 2009 3:08 am

"Fenehk" wrote:As far as I know, it takes an account five days to get marked as inactive, and after that it'll take at least 5 more days for it to be purged. I guess you might be able to ask Reed to manually remove it or something, though...

Far more then that. As far as I know, it takes more then a month or two for an account to be purged.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Wed May 20, 2009 8:20 am

Maybe the fact that the confirmation email can't be clicked might speed up the deletion.

If the mail address is wrong, then you should be able to open a new account at that same address, now typed correctly

Well, I did that and I ended up in the same nome as the previous city which I could still see there. At the time there were only 4 cities.
Since I didn't want to be hung, drawn and quartered for double accounting I deleted the second account.

Decided that an account I can't access is no account at all, so created a new one but this time I'm in a different nome.

BTW everything looks different in Chrome, there's even a spellchecker for this
Last edited by Herodotus on Wed May 20, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fenehk

Postby Fenehk » Wed May 20, 2009 4:55 pm

"Asterix~" wrote:Far more then that. As far as I know, it takes more then a month or two for an account to be purged.

It can, but it doesn't always. I think, since we went live, the inactivity purges have been more common. But I can't prove that, of course...

GaSplat
Location: Splat's Crib 159N on Sabah - where the tools of war can be found ;)

Postby GaSplat » Thu May 21, 2009 6:39 am

"ddddyyyy" wrote:I agree with Herodotus
shameless irrelevant plugs deleted

Yeah, I bet you really do. :rolleyes:

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Thu May 21, 2009 7:58 am

I thought it only took 10 days. You sure you aren't thinking of someone who had immnunity and then came back and deleted their city (for no good reason). :D

*gasp* a human bot. You think he gets paid anything?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu May 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Howdy, Herodotus!

Not exactly sure how it works, but I believe inactives have to be manually deleted, or Reed's cities in Sabah would have gone poof a long time ago. ;)

Try a PM to Reed & hopefully he can purge your problem account.

Good Luck with the game & your new account! :)

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Fri May 22, 2009 9:12 am

I found this on another thread http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23421

Reed wrote:Yeah, this already happens...if you're inactive for 5 days, you get an email notice/warning (of course, your email needs to be valid).

If this is right, it confirms what Fenehk said
I'll keep an eye on it to see when it disappears and post it here for reference (if I remember), but I won't get the reminder email cos the address doesn't exist.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri May 22, 2009 6:05 pm

Yeah, well, you know how these statements can be made invalid over time with changes, Herodotus. It is not that Reed lied. It was probably correct at the time & even that line doesn't rule out the manual part. ;)

TM is very busy right now working on Hinterland: Orc Lords (and who knows what other new games/patches/expansions/etc), so we, as players, need to cut them a bit of slack.

Keranik

Postby Keranik » Sat May 23, 2009 6:27 am

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Yeah, well, you know how these statements can be made invalid over time with changes, Herodotus. It is not that Reed lied. It was probably correct at the time & even that line doesn't rule out the manual part. ;)

TM is very busy right now working on Hinterland: Orc Lords (and who knows what other new games/patches/expansions/etc), so we, as players, need to cut them a bit of slack.

We get an update daily for a few months and then no updates for months at a time and we should "cut them some slack?"

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

Regardless of what is going on, there are paying members who play this game and it doesn't need to be abandoned completely. You can't just build a browser game in 6 months and then turn around and spend all your time working on other "new games" and expect it to blossom.

I've paid for scarabs, I support the game, I've paid for the game, and I want or wish a developer would still provide periodic updates on at least a weekly basis introducing new elements, if not on a monthly basis.

Nothing has really changed for quite a while, and this game has SO MUCH potential, I feel it hasn't really gained the respect that it deserves, all it needs is a little more refining and a couple more love taps and it would be great.

Don't give up on it to go code other games, finish this one, keep updating it, and work on others at the same time.

EDIT: At the least they could post something saying they are "working" on it, and have an estimated arrival date, to build some hype and something to look forward to.

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Sat May 23, 2009 6:36 am

He said on here he gets that email.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat May 23, 2009 4:29 pm

"Keranik" wrote:We get an update daily for a few months and then no updates for months at a time and we should "cut them some slack?"

v1.1 was on 04-28-2009, less than 1 month ago. There have also been bug fixes & changes that do not show on update threads. they are usually put inbetween official updates & listed on the next update thread.

Updates were never daily & they were Sabah updates during the beta stage. ;) Nile Online is now officially live with Theoris. A complete game.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

That is definitely your right. No doubt about it.

Regardless of what is going on, there are paying members who play this game and it doesn't need to be abandoned completely. You can't just build a browser game in 6 months and then turn around and spend all your time working on other "new games" and expect it to blossom.

Understand, but Nile Online has been worked on for much longer than that. It is now a complete game in Theoris. I agree that I would like to see new goodies also & TM has promised us Quests.

To assume that TM has abandoned Nile Online is a stretch.

I've paid for scarabs, I support the game, I've paid for the game, and I want or wish a developer would still provide periodic updates on at least a weekly basis introducing new elements, if not on a monthly basis.

I hope you get your wish, I definitely do!

Nothing has really changed for quite a while, and this game has SO MUCH potential, I feel it hasn't really gained the respect that it deserves, all it needs is a little more refining and a couple more love taps and it would be great.

It is a great game already! I has made me almost retire my COTN & I thought that was impossible!

Don't give up on it to go code other games, finish this one, keep updating it, and work on others at the same time.

TM is a small company & doesn't have that many programmers on staff. It is what it is. It is totally amazing how much they have accomplished in the past two years. I doubt other companies could have matched it.

EDIT: At the least they could post something saying they are "working" on it, and have an estimated arrival date, to build some hype and something to look forward to.

Yeah, I agree. This part is a fault that TM has always had since they became a company in 2004.

No one is perfect. ;)

This is crunch time for Hinterland: Orc Lords. They are already behind schedule which means that the game has probably changed & that is very good news!

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:06 am

"Herodotus" wrote:... I'll keep an eye on it to see when it disappears and post it here for reference ...

The dead account, formed 19 May, had been deleted this morning (along with several others in the nome)
Looks like it's a manual op though

Return to “General Discussion”