I was going to retire...

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
N805

I was going to retire...

Postby N805 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:32 pm

And I have enough resources to do so, but I think I'll stay for one or two of those quests......

It also gives me time to get my rank up and give away bricks, pottery, and baskets.....

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Don't get your hopes up for the quests, they may come tomorrow, or it may be another two or three months.

Working on your rank is fine, but be aware that not all players appreciate a large free donation of goods they have the last few weeks struggled so hard for.

Deguar

Postby Deguar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:05 pm

You might also remember that just because you have no need for bricks, pottery, baskets or anything else that doesn't make them worthless.

N805

Postby N805 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:13 pm

I don't give away the stuff, I just sell it for insanely low prices on the market.
And I've only put like 25k bricks and about 5k of pottery and baskets on the market, so it's not a lot.

Also, to the person who tried to compete with my prices, sorry. I just didn't want to make them expensive.......

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:53 am

I don't give away the stuff, I just sell it for insanely low prices on the market

I'm afraid I fail to see the difference. It's like you have been climbing a mountain only to find there is also an elevator to the top, and your view is obstructed by hordes of tourists on sneakers. In that case you at least have the option to take the elevator down. :D

There is nothing wrong with low prices, say bricks for 2 or pottery for 3, and it will help get your rank up, but selling those for 0.1 can easily spoil the fun for others. It also undercuts the market for players who depend on selling goods for fair prices. I disagree that 25k bricks and 5k pots is not much, forgot how it was at level 4? If you want to give stuff away, give it to players you know appreciate receiving it, privately, though still I guess many will see that too as cheating. Again nothing wrong with a small token of appreciation for your long time allies, but try to be restrictive.
Last edited by joshofet on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Khabita

Postby Khabita » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:05 pm

joshofet -- i totally agree with you, and I love your analogy!

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:26 pm

I agree also...

At least by selling it on the market the people have a choice to buy it or not.
I do not buy anything priced lower than 70% of cost and even those I only buy if I need them or if I plan on re-selling at normal market prices (140%+).

Above all else, have fun

N805

Postby N805 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:47 pm

I only had the stuff on there once, and from now on I won't put it on there.
It's just my area is surrounded with people who don't really need the resources......

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Well, if that is what you are after, you could search your neighbourhood for novel players, and offer them assistance, not by giving them everything they think they want, but by trading with them at fair conditions, and giving them advice on how to enjoy the game. Indeed, have fun! :)

N805

Postby N805 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:42 pm

The nome above me has no people in it at all......

and the one below me has all level 19+ cities, except for mine which I can't upgrade due to lack of scarabs.

And most of the people who are level 20 and under in the farther nomes are in the gray.....

I think I'll just use the market as a bank, storing mass amounts of pottery and baskets.

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:50 pm

I see what you mean, holiday season for 20 odd nomes around your home base.

I don't know what the options are about getting four scarabs (assuming you spent yours) to open a fourth city in a more active area in Sabah and start a new branch from there. Take a cedar city so you can build up a fleet and start trading. Make allies on the trade wall to exchange materials. There is life in Sabah, but not as we know it ... ;)

N805

Postby N805 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:30 pm

I'm currently trying to upgrade all buildings to the max level.
The problem is, it seems like doing so with non-essential buildings like military buildings and goods buildings worsens my rank...

However, I have been sending resources to cities that are level 20 or under.
It's only about 3000 of one resource (bricks, pottery, or baskets), so it's not much.

markedisonchua
Location: Chemaphy Slaying Problem Market and Cyberwarface Office

Postby markedisonchua » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:36 am

When You Retire Please Come Back
That's not the end of this world

lynnk

Postby lynnk » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Personally - one of the really lovely things I like about Nile Online is how people are able to gift things to other players - I think this makes the game so much better than any other :) :) :)

Anonymous Top Ranker

Postby Anonymous Top Ranker » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:44 pm

"lynnk" wrote:Personally - one of the really lovely things I like about Nile Online is how people are able to gift things to other players - I think this makes the game so much better than any other :) :) :)

And so many players do it without asking the poor victim if he appreciates... I'm talking about "care packages" (tons of sh/it) for newbies. Do you think that's the right thing to do?

DustysMomma

Postby DustysMomma » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:26 pm

I was going to retire from Sabah this weekend.....then someone wonderful, who shall remain nameless.....traded me a single scarab. Now I can get my 2nd city to level 22 & then let my rank get back up before I hit the button. I'm looking at maybe an extra 7-10 days i think.

My apologies to those who were hoping I would check out. :D

lynnk

Postby lynnk » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:34 pm

"Anonymous Top Ranker" wrote:And so many players do it without asking the poor victim if he appreciates... I'm talking about "care packages" (tons of sh/it) for newbies. Do you think that's the right thing to do?

Hello :)

Have you examples of this or is it just hearsay :) ?

Obviously if somebody sends somebody they do not know tons of stuff and keeps doing it then I would expect that at some point a scroll would be sent from the recipient of the unwanted gifts to the sender of said gifts - saying whatever needs to be said and solving any problems :)

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:29 pm

I think many people as far as I can tell like the idea of receiving one or two gifts, based on their reactions to receiving them and so few people complaining about the idea. I doubt the happy recipients consider themselves victims, you certainly can't say that you are speaking for them as a result since what you're saying applies to a small minority.

Agreed lynnk, then there would be no point to the game, lol.

abana

Postby abana » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:15 pm

I agree with the small gifts, it is a measure of support.

Anonymous Top Ranker

Postby Anonymous Top Ranker » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:57 pm

"lynnk" wrote:Hello :)

Have you examples of this or is it just hearsay :) ?

Obviously if somebody sends somebody they do not know tons of stuff and keeps doing it then I would expect that at some point a scroll would be sent from the recipient of the unwanted gifts to the sender of said gifts - saying whatever needs to be said and solving any problems :)

No, I'm talking about particular cases.

One level 4 newbie in Sabah received a shipment of a high ranker who should have been burried long before, 100 shiploads. Unasked. The newbie dumped it in a nearby place that was abandoned. Took some effort though, as he only had a handful of ships.

A day later another zombie sent another "care package" of I think it was 60 shiploads. He dumped it again, taking half a day.

After 2 days once again somebody else "blessed" him with 200(!) shiploads.

And you just write some bull**** about that he should just write everyone who is gifting around a scroll? You probably wouldn't have time for that when you're dumping all 20k of the sh/it you received having only a handful of ships!

The newbie gave up - he was complaining to me via scroll and he deleted his account.
Stop gifting people unasked!!!
What the hell is here so hard to understand??

P.S. You are suggesting that the victim should scroll after his plans were messed up by a giant shipment. Interesting. What's wrong about the other way round? --> The donor scrolling the possible victim *before* sending and asking him if he likes to receive this or that? Why don't you propose it this way round?
Last edited by Anonymous Top Ranker on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”