I was going to retire...

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
lynnk

Postby lynnk » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:16 pm

"Anonymous Top Ranker" wrote:No, I'm talking about particular cases.

One level 4 newbie in Sabah received a shipment of a high ranker who should have been burried long before, 100 shiploads. Unasked. The newbie dumped it in a nearby place that was abandoned. Took some effort though, as he only had a handful of ships.

A day later another zombie sent another "care package" of I think it was 60 shiploads. He dumped it again, taking half a day.

After 2 days once again somebody else "blessed" him with 200(!) shiploads.

And you just write some bull**** about that he should just write everyone who is gifting around a scroll? You probably wouldn't have time for that when you're dumping all 20k of the sh/it you received having only a handful of ships!

The newbie gave up - he was complaining to me via scroll and he deleted his account.
Stop gifting people unasked!!!
What the hell is here so hard to understand??

P.S. You are suggesting that the victim should scroll after his plans were messed up by a giant shipment. Interesting. What's wrong about the other way round? --> The donor scrolling the possible victim *before* sending and asking him if he likes to receive this or that? Why don't you propose it this way round?

Despite your colourful language which clearly shows just how much you despise the majority of peaceful players in the game - I do not believe a word of it :D

And if it is true - why can't the recipient of the gifts just ask the gifter to stop via a scroll - rather than dump the stuff with another player who was not expecting it in a very hypocritical way indeed....

Anonymous Top Ranker

Postby Anonymous Top Ranker » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:28 pm

"lynnk" wrote:Despite your colourful language which clearly shows just how much you despise the majority of peaceful players in the game - I do not believe a word of it :D

And if it is true - why can't the recipient of the gifts just ask the gifter to stop via a scroll - rather than dump the stuff with another player who was not expecting it in a very hypocritical way indeed....

You just don't get a word, do you?

a) and what should the recipient do with the stuff? have you ever thought about that a level 4 player's warehouse is so full after 200 shiploads that he can't produce anything any more for days?

once again: the recipient scrolling the sender doesn't make sense, does it? when the game is already messed up, it's kinda too late, don't ya think?

i think unasked gifting players should be banned from the game right away, when the recipient complains.

b) dump the stuff with an inactive player who most likely never comes back. --> reading must be very hard for you, ain't it?

"lynnk" wrote:why can't the recipient of the gifts just ask the gifter to stop via a scroll

And why can't the sender scroll somebody before perhaps messing up somebody's game?

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Question, why don't the "victims" just sell the stuff on the market if they're so upset about it?

Dumping with an inactive seems a nice way to get rid of goods. :)

abana

Postby abana » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:30 pm

Because the "victims" would rather complain and cause derision.

Anonymous Top Ranker

Postby Anonymous Top Ranker » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:33 pm

Anyway @ abana and Amun N.

Let's get straight to the point: Are you saying that unasked gifting of big loads is ok? Is that your message?

abana

Postby abana » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:39 pm

I don't know about Amun, but I am saying that there are other ways to handle it than complaining and insulting.

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:39 pm

We do that IRL a lot, it's the usual idea behind a gift. However, you showed just one scenario, and it seems like a small number of people are angry about getting gifts. What I see is people begging for stuff many times.

More importantly though, most gifting is between friends rather than random people, other than the usual starting gift of some cedar.

Abana is absolutely correct that a less abrasive approach is usually the way to go and generally gets a more positive reaction from people.

Anonymous Top Ranker

Postby Anonymous Top Ranker » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Amun N., gifting between friends can be accepted, although it is cheating and nothing else.

But you also have to acknowledge, unasked gifting are a reality, also in large volumes. And we all know, the intention of such gifters is getting a little peace of mind having done something seemingly good, in effect proving themselves belonging to the good ones. Childish and pretentious!

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Is dat a fact, Jack?

Lol, but come on you're making it sound like it's some great injustice. (There are much better things to direct that energy toward trust me). Why not just put out a call for people to start asking rather than also this stuff? Would be much more simple. :) Also, I highly doubt many people have the idea that if they are philanthropic in some online game it will make them some great person, it's probably just an effort to be a little nice to people. :)

abana

Postby abana » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:23 pm

I had once, where I wanted to buy a lot of wheat, but there were no sellers in my area, I scrooled new players(they are the ones most likely to not already have a plan of what to sell), I told them that I would buy all that the pu up for sale @ 0.4 per. but they didn't have the bricks/baskets to upgrade the wheatfiesld, I often sent them the goods. I looked at it, that I was "opening a trade route", was I guilty?

Anonymous Top Ranker

Postby Anonymous Top Ranker » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:11 am

"abana" wrote:I had once, where I wanted to buy a lot of wheat, but there were no sellers in my area, I scrooled new players(they are the ones most likely to not already have a plan of what to sell), I told them that I would buy all that the pu up for sale @ 0.4 per. but they didn't have the bricks/baskets to upgrade the wheatfiesld, I often sent them the goods. I looked at it, that I was "opening a trade route", was I guilty?

No way, that's great gameplay. When it's part of your tactics and you do it with a purpose, it's totally fine with me. You surprise me :D

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:36 am

There are many surprising things about abana, like she spends most of her time IRL helping others. :)

abana

Postby abana » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:54 am

No, it helps me.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:16 am

I think most everyone agrees the level of the gift is really the important part.

Lets say... If you were to show up at a birthday party with a gift. You do not know and have never met the person who's having the birthday. Lets say it is a somewhat distant but old friend of a co-worker who asked you to come along.

If you gift them something modest and say under $100 you are a gracious guest.
If you gift them a 2 week Vacation Paid in full at around $5000. You are not only gracious but obviously showing off that you are trying to impress someone and being frivolous.
If you gift them a Mansion on a Private Island with servants and all the tequila they can drink...... oh wait maybe this example is not so good...

hehehe

Anyways it is the size of the gift. A small gift is always appreciated by pretty much everyone. And by small I mean something that will help them get something going.
A large gift as mentioned can overstock a warehouse and obviously helps the player progress faster. Unfortunately it does not let the player discover a play style and make mistakes and learn what is best for them. This takes away their overall enjoyment and reduces the amount of time they get to play.

You have to admit that the most enjoyable time in every game is when you learn or discover some new trick or technique.

Most of my trading partners are getting close to immortality and I get offers for 10k of this or 10k of that, ship me 5k this and I'll ship you 15k of that. I tell them thanks but keep the the normal trading ratios.

:cool:

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:21 am

Anyone hear say honestly they would turn down those gifts if there were no catch to them? :D

In the case of this game, I do agree that a small gift is best. :)

Lost Wanderer

Postby Lost Wanderer » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:54 am

I imagine that many people do like receiving gifts and unsolicited donations. I don't. I restarted in Sabah because all the gifts had taken much of the enjoyment out of playing the game. Nobody asked if I would like help, they just sent it. With only 10 ships to my name sending back thousands in unsolicited goods was unrealistic, although I did try for a few days.

My second start in Sabah went the same way, so I decided to scroll my benefactors and explain that they were messing up my good time. I received apologies, but I still had thousands in goods again. I decided to sell them on the market, but even at .1, several hundred bread make a difference when you have a level 2 palace. When I make trades on the wall, specifically asking to trade 100 of x good for 100 of y good, I still usually get more than I ask for.

So, I guess I should just ignore the extra bread if I don't like the gifting? Or dedicate all my ships to sending it back? Why is it my job to suck it up for people who want to believe that unsolicited donations don't negatively affect my game play so that they can feel like they're participating in a courteous and helpful game community?

I fully realize that there is no game mechanic to stop unwanted incoming goods, so on some level dealing with unsolicited gifts is a part of the game experience and I should find a way to deal and be happy. But, if people really want to be courteous and helpful, where's the difficulty in asking someone if they want help, before you go and change their game experience. I do believe that the community as a whole is courteous and helpful...maybe we're still figuring out the best ways to be that, there aren't a lot of goods laden worlds like Sabah out there.

All RL gifts will be willingly accepted, the opinions above apply to NO only. :p

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:30 am

I have had several occasions where I offered players gifts, and they indicated they would rather not receive them. Small gifts, for instance a little extra in trade, are almost always appreciated. In general the gesture is appreciated, and indeed it is good the game has this feature, but players do not want to be "helped" in playing the game.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:41 pm

I see I am finally making some progress

Excellent!

...gifting is a curse on the game...

lynnk

Postby lynnk » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:46 pm

"Anonymous Top Ranker" wrote:You just don't get a word, do you?

a) and what should the recipient do with the stuff? have you ever thought about that a level 4 player's warehouse is so full after 200 shiploads that he can't produce anything any more for days?

once again: the recipient scrolling the sender doesn't make sense, does it? when the game is already messed up, it's kinda too late, don't ya think?

i think unasked gifting players should be banned from the game right away, when the recipient complains.

b) dump the stuff with an inactive player who most likely never comes back. --> reading must be very hard for you, ain't it?

And why can't the sender scroll somebody before perhaps messing up somebody's game?

Less of the personal abuse please.... In fact - no personal attacks at all if you want to address me - Thanks.

I do not think or believe that any player has intentionally sent thousands and thousands and thousands of good deliberately to a player who they have never contacted before - if it has happened I would suggest it was a mistake and the recepient of the unexpected surprise gifts has a duty to scroll the sender to ask what is going on - this is the only decent thing to do and anything else is just causing trouble where none exists....

Sending things to an inactive player that one does not know is just so rude that it is unbelievable - what if they return and find that their plans have been ruined.... :(
Last edited by lynnk on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous Top Ranker

Postby Anonymous Top Ranker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:38 pm

"lynnk" wrote:Sending things to an inactive player that one does not know is just so rude that it is unbelievable - what if they return and find that their plans have been ruined.... :(

Hey, here's the solution:
"Why can't the recipient of the gifts just ask the gifter to stop via a scroll" (your own quote)

Return to “General Discussion”