I was going to retire...

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
Lost Wanderer

Postby Lost Wanderer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:27 pm

"lynnk" wrote:
I do not think or believe that any player has intentionally sent thousands and thousands and thousands of good deliberately to a player who they have never contacted before - if it has happened I would suggest it was a mistake and the recipient[sp] of the unexpected surprise gifts has a duty to scroll the sender to ask what is going on - this is the only decent thing to do and anything else is just causing trouble where none exists....

What you think or believe has no impact on reality.

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Maybe you should reread your textbooks in quantum mechanics. :D

Philosophy or psychology wouldn't be a bad idea either. ;)

Instead of making such vague and generic statements that add little to this (or any) discussion, if you have evidence that contradicts the statement you quote, as your comment suggests, could you please substantiate it, that would be most helpful. :)

Lost Wanderer

Postby Lost Wanderer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:32 pm

Sure josh, but if we all have to keep repeating ourselves for your benefit, the conversation will go nowhere. Perhaps reading less would allow you to retain more.

"Lost Wanderer" wrote:I imagine that many people do like receiving gifts and unsolicited donations. I don't. I restarted in Sabah because all the gifts had taken much of the enjoyment out of playing the game. Nobody asked if I would like help, they just sent it. With only 10 ships to my name sending back thousands in unsolicited goods was unrealistic, although I did try for a few days.

My second start in Sabah went the same way, so I decided to scroll my benefactors and explain that they were messing up my good time. I received apologies, but I still had thousands in goods again. I decided to sell them on the market, but even at .1, several hundred bread make a difference when you have a level 2 palace. When I make trades on the wall, specifically asking to trade 100 of x good for 100 of y good, I still usually get more than I ask for.

While I am excited by and thoroughly enjoy quantum consciousness research and debate, I am not foolish enough to believe that some interaction of my brain's tubulins with the quarks of the universe has an effect on reality. I tend to follow Penrose's thinking, that all superpositions are inherently unstable and limited to a certain lifetime, and therefore my gravitational self-energy necessarily limits my thinking to a local phenomenon. I guess you missed it with all your reading, but Schrödinger's cat will never find itself in two states or places at once.

God forges reality, not man. Perception changes your subjective reality (which has no impact on objective reality - you really aren't even god-like), and to whatever extent I allow, mine. lynnk's perceptions have yet to invade mine, but maybe with your help.... ;)

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Sorry it happened to you twice, and so massively. I have had people sending me gifts, even large ones, but those were long time allies, and it was simply their interpretation of the alliance. I used the gifts mainly to help others in the same alliance and outside it, and of course whenever possible returned the favour to the sender. Yes it disrupted my planning, but so does a market falling dry, or a monument being captured. On the scale it happened to you it looks like a PvP attack, at least that is how you perceived it, and that definitely is no (intended) part of this game.

I'm not sure this conversation has any point. Most players like giving (small) gifts, and most players appreciate the gesture. It is simply part of our social life, in- and outside the game. The problem with the game is that players can easily become confronted with unimaginable wealth, and don't know how to deal with it, they lose their perspective. Obviously we cannot turn that around with just this single thread, but if it helps in making players aware that other players may not always have the same goals as they have, I guess it did serve a purpose. Repeating that message helps. ;)

Lost Wanderer

Postby Lost Wanderer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:26 pm

"joshofet" wrote:Repeating that message helps.

Agreed. However, I am convinced the conversation has a point.

"Jeff Fiske" wrote:Interesting how rules have evolved.

Clearly Nile Online is a social game and to a certain extent you police each other. Like what a 'fair trade is', or what is right or wrong.

So....looks like the community is trying what to decide in this case- what is the protocol? Well, not to treat eachother like kids on a school ground would be a good start, but that goes away as soon as you have a Social Game. Besides, some people like taking someones hat and tossing it around playing keep away as long as they can find someone they can take the hat from.

But this is your game, and you should all play it and police it the way you see fit.

I see this conversation as an instance of the community coming together to discuss what contributed to and detracted from our game experience, policing as Jeff put it. Our discussion and our collective experience may shape the gameplay in the future. I would (as I believe most would who care enough to post on the forum) like to enhance the things that I see a positives, and reduce or eliminate the negatives, so that future players enjoy the game as much or more than I do.

Hopefully our discussion raises awareness of the issue, perhaps to the point that unless someone requests a gift, it's never sent. Maybe one day the gifters will post "wtt 20k cedar for nothing" on the trade wall and wait for a response, rather than sending 5k to someone who posted "wtt 100 henna for cedar". I have given some players their starting cedar, expecting nothing in return; I think most of us have. It's a part of what makes the NO community so enjoyable, and different from many on the internet, and I'm grateful to have found it. That almost all of us are willing to freely give to a smaller player, slowing our climb to immortality, makes this game better.

"Lost Wanderer" wrote:
I fully realize that there is no game mechanic to stop unwanted incoming goods, so on some level dealing with unsolicited gifts is a part of the game experience and I should find a way to deal and be happy.

My resolve to not allow the gifters to detract from my game experience has grown since that post. Unlike the experience of some others here, every time I explain my position to the gifter, and how what they did makes NO less enjoyable for me, the gifts stop and I have a new chat buddy. I think that happens because the gifters real intent is to help others enjoy the game, and by understanding each others position, we can all enjoy the game together. The gifters can gift those who want gifts, and us grinders can claw our way to the top under the collective effort of our own laborers.

Return to “General Discussion”