How do ranks/scoring work?

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
galaxyy

How do ranks/scoring work?

Postby galaxyy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:33 pm

I was wondering what factors are in play when the game calculates your rank.

It's clear that it's not just the level of your cities and monuments.

abana

Postby abana » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:47 pm

We don't know but some of the things seem to be
Amount of bread
Amount of other goods
Level of all buildings
Amount of temple donationd

And some others that I think might have an effect
# of market sales
# of battles won

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:53 pm

We don't know. You can search the forum for a keyword like "rank" and see what is said about it, but the main conclusion remains the same.

Bread plays a foremost role; palace level, the number of cities, building levels, monument plots and monument levels have all been mentioned and reconfirmed more or less. Number of (active) workers, soldiers, other commodities, amount of donations, number of trades, number of battles (won), all mentioned, never confirmed.

If you're a new player, (try to) ignore rank, you will see it go up automatically if you play the game, develop your cities, and keep doing so. The longer you stay, the higher it gets, but just working for rank is no fun, and that of course, is the major goal of this game. :)

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:05 pm

I believe the amount of resources spent on building upgrades may have an influence on rank,
but, at the same time I don't know how to test the theory.

galaxyy

Postby galaxyy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm trying to hit #1 before I go immortal and I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything I can :) Thanks for the tips!

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:57 pm

My best guess as to the ranking formula in order of importance.

1) Monument level
2) Number of quarry plots
3) Number of cities
4) Palace level
5) All 16 other building levels (missing or low level buildings kills your rank). This is HUGE & the most important factor in rank. Not each building, but all 16 non-palace buildings together. This is listed #5 assuming only one of the 16 buildings, the Palace being the most important building in rank. Next highest building is native luxmat, for example.
6) Lux goods
7) Luxmats
8) Bricks, baskets, pottery
9) Bread (this is listed low, cuz bread is not worth much. It is the HUGE amount of bread we can easily have due to the large bread cap that makes it look more important than the others.
10) Clay, wheat, reeds

...dat's mah story & ahm stickin to it...

I believe other stuff on profile counts (but not a lot), but never was able to verify this. I believe Reed once posted that Temple donations do not count, but I can't find the link. The game also changes & not all changes are posted by Reed, so even if Reed did say donations didn't count, the game could be different today.

EDIT: Two things to remember in rank

1) Your competitors are moving targets. They are moving up as well. ;)
2) Your rank is updated only once or twice each day. It is the sum total of what you have at the update time that counts. What you have in your cities. Example: If you upgrade before the rank update, your rank falls, cuz you spent goods (sometimes a LOT of goods, like for a 4th city or high palace upgrade). You don't get rank credit for the upgrade until construction is complete. That will show in the NEXT rank update. So, you can fall with upgrading temporarlily.

REEDIT: :D (You knew there would be another edit. ;) )

Outstanding questions I have.

1) Do goods at quarry plots count? I don't think so, but really don't know.
2) Quarry level. Does this count? No idea
3) Goods & bread in markets. I don't think so, but really don't know.
4) Goods in boats/land travel involving quarry plots. I am almost positive that they do NOT count. Not until they are delivered to our cities. Same with stuff we get from the market; not until they get to our cities.
5) Boats & soldiers. No idea.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 13 times in total.

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:17 pm

"galaxyy" wrote:I'm trying to hit #1 before I go immortal

What is your current rank (approximately) and in what world? Did you buy scarabs?

galaxyy

Postby galaxyy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:15 am

"joshofet" wrote:What is your current rank (approximately) and in what world? Did you buy scarabs?

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm currently 97 in Theoris and I have bought scarabs.

galaxyy

Postby galaxyy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:16 am

Tink thanks so much for your post: it REALLY helped me out.

abana

Postby abana » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:22 am

How do you know all of those things, Tink, or how much of it is speculation.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 am

"abana" wrote:How do you know all of those things, Tink, or how much of it is speculation.

Lots & LOTS of Labs.

The proper term is SWAG

abana

Postby abana » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:33 am

And nothing else changed in your account durring those labs?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:41 am

"galaxyy" wrote:Tink thanks so much for your post: it REALLY helped me out.

You are very welcome, my friend.

Happy Gaming! :)

abana

Postby abana » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:42 am

Again, Tink, are you saying that nothing else changed in your account durring those labs?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:19 am

"abana" wrote:Again, Tink, are you saying that nothing else changed in your account durring those labs?

abana, I'm gonna say something that you probably won't understand. It will come in the form of a question & I don't need an answer.

I am here cuz I love TM games. It appears you are here for a different reason & not a TM fan at all. You have some other agenda for being here.

What is it?

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:24 am

Abana, in lieu of Tink's answer I would agree with his latest assessment. What I can add though is that market sell offers (puts) are not counted in the rankings, at all, for a fact.

abana

Postby abana » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:58 am

You said that you don't need an answer, well I will give you one anyway. I love some games, c3, Pharaoh/Cleopatra, c4, Emperor, and Nile online, the first four in that order, Nile Online is in a class by itself, and I can't compare it to the others, I don't think that it should be. I don't claim to know everything about them, I have learned a lot, first from Keith at the Sierra forums, a lot of information from a lot of people at HG, and then through the contests at CBC. I played c3 and Cleopatra before I discovered the forums, and my gameplay has increased exponentially since I discovered them. I joined Nile Online early because I have learned through other endeavors in my personal life that I get a lot of satisfaction from being in on the development of a project.

I associate new players to these games with consumers of mental health and homeless services(in that I have been very involved in both of those fields as a consumer, and advocate). In both examples the newcomer looks up to those more experienced and often views whatever they say as the absolute truth. This is why I am very careful to make sure whenever I give advice to state that these things are my opinion, that this is the way that I do things, if I know of another way, I will try and explain that way to them. If it is game mechanics, that is another matter, ie. you need henna and kohl to make cosmetics. This is the crux of my problem with you. You present your opinions as fact.

So I ask you again, did you perform these labs under scientific settings? That is did you make sure that no other variable changed during your test periods? Or is it speculation?

iCat

Postby iCat » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:22 am

I haven't tested theories on how ranking works with rigorous scientific method. I've been trying various strategies and making observations. My experiences match Tink's pretty closely with the following caveats.

• Number of employed workers counts towards rank. Rank continues to improve after completion of palace level throughout the production and subsequent employment of workers.
  • Goods stored in monuments do count.
  • Goods and bread put onto the market (buy and sell orders) do not count. I took a large amount of bread out of my monuments and used it to place buy orders. I immediately dropped three ranks. On cancelling the buy orders and getting the bread back my rank returned.

Someone else mentioned temple donations. In my experience I have not had any cause to believe temple donations affect rank.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:39 pm

"iCat" wrote:I haven't tested theories on how ranking works with rigorous scientific method. I've been trying various strategies and making observations. My experiences match Tink's pretty closely with the following caveats.

• Number of employed workers counts towards rank. Rank continues to improve after completion of palace level throughout the production and subsequent employment of workers.

Interesting. I noticed a rise of several ranks 2 updates after completing a palace 22 and wasn't sure why. It could have been the workers arriving - though it was far from a scientific test and I might have had another upgrade finish in that time.

I can't comment on goods in monuments as I hardly keep anything there, just a day's supply of bread or less. I went Immortal at #1 in Theoris with no bread (bar a few thousand) outside my cities. It seems to me that buildings are MUCH more important than bread.

Someone else mentioned temple donations. In my experience I have not had any cause to believe temple donations affect rank.

I agree absolutely. There is no evidence that donations affect rank. Looking at the top 10 rankings (Theoris), very few have large amounts of donations. I would think that the reverse is true in fact , in that very large donations deplete your supplies of lux goods and you don't make enough of a profit in the 48 hour blessing period to recoup that.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:49 pm

There was a hypothesis running around in the early days that claimed that it was not the Palace but the laborers that counted in rank. I fell for it for awhile also. Then Reed's post...

"Reed" wrote:If it was, they were mistaken...

Laborers aren't included in that calculation. The only thing they have to do with rank is the fact that if you're not using them efficiently, it'll ultimately affect how quickly you're able to progress.

I think what we are seeing is our goods building back up after upgrade & the fact that those new laborers are now being put to work for more goods.

With Ivy reaching #1 with empty monuments, I find it hard to believe that monument storage counts. I just don't know. It is difficult for me to believe TM designed the game so that monuments that are supposed to be lost on a regular basis would also take such a hit in rank goods also. I remain leaning that they do not count, but it is a barely leaning. ;)

EDIT: As an update to my previous post, I agree that temple donations do not count. With that line, I was thinking more about military stats & market activity (Reed's favorite parts of the game). They don't appear to count much if at all. We have lots of HUGE (and suspicious ;) ) temple donations data, so that one is easy.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”