Duplicate Fake accounts

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
tadrlz

Duplicate Fake accounts

Postby tadrlz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:06 am

Greetings:

Can NE1 advise me who to contact regarding someone that is making Duplicate/Fake accounts.

This character Dirty Rook created an account as : brownboy and attacked everyone's Monument. The account had only been created nine days earlier but already had two cities and had captured 8 Monuments and sent over 150 soldiers to capture my Monuments. I think it is nearly impossible to acquire the resources necessary to build a second city that quick and acquire the resources to build up the soldiers.

In hindsight, the names selected are quite revealing but nevertheless, it is a violation to create Duplicate/Fake accounts. This character has caused over a dozen people to leave this game. I have the names of a few of the victims.

Thanks
Last edited by tadrlz on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:02 am

I thought that from a monument you could only send to your own cities or other monument. How is it possible to ship to another account's cities?

I think the account of brownboy has now been deleted. At least, I couldn't find it on either server. Not a great surprise, if it IS a duplicate account...

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:25 pm

About all you can do is send your suspicions to Reed via a private message.

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/member.php?u=1

good luck, they have ways of telling if there is someone with multiple accounts
:cool:

abana

Postby abana » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:37 pm

And what a lot of people don't realise, is that they aren't going to tell you how they can detect it, that would be giving people instuctions on how to subvert them.

Asterix~

Postby Asterix~ » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:15 pm

"abana" wrote:And what a lot of people don't realise, is that they aren't going to tell you how they can detect it, that would be giving people instuctions on how to subvert them.

Anyone with any computer knowledge at all knows how they can detect it; if two accounts (or more) have the same IP, thats a pretty good indicator.

Regardless you might as well report it to Reed; multi-accounters rarely get caught, but its nice when they do.

abana

Postby abana » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Yes, they could use the IP, but I could say that I have a family member who has a different account(which happens many times), it has already been discussed that the only way for TM to prove that I don't have a family of 15 people would be to visit me.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:21 pm

I believe it was Jeff that mentioned IP does not matter that much, they have other ways.

And we all know how sneaky TM can be ;)

Pontius Pilatus

I know a lot of sneaky players too.

Postby Pontius Pilatus » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:46 pm

"PantherX" wrote:I believe it was Jeff that mentioned IP does not matter that much, they have other ways.

Hrmm, we all know of all kinds of foul play in sports. In games it is no different. I could think of a lot of ways escaping detection. Even if everybody, including TM, suspects foul play, it is neigh impossible proving it, unless you can hack the suspect's PC to make a photo with his own webcam(which is very illegal and could bankrupt the company that is convicted of this breach of privacy). :(
But it ain't necessarily so.

Asterix~

Postby Asterix~ » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:28 am

"PantherX" wrote:I believe it was Jeff that mentioned IP does not matter that much, they have other ways.

A webpage collects information about your IP and ISP as you visit it. Anything more then that without specific agreement from you is illegal (not to mention impossible without some form of hacking).

Its fairly simple to avoid detection.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:23 pm

Oh I can think of many ways to identify duplicate accounts. I will not list them because I am positive that every way someone could think of would be avoidable.

Just remember that everything you do through the NO interface is traceable by TM if they care to look. I would bet that the only time they would even look is if someone reported it.

Pontius Pilatus

I have an interesting case under investigation.

Postby Pontius Pilatus » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:53 pm

"PantherX" wrote:Oh I can think of many ways to identify duplicate accounts. I will not list them because I am positive that every way someone could think of would be avoidable.

Just remember that everything you do through the NO interface is traceable by TM if they care to look. I would bet that the only time they would even look is if someone reported it.

Hmm, I happen to have some circumstantial evidence regarding a possible duplicate account. I need some more information, but the process of gathering that has allready started. I may have a case to make later this week, but I think I will make it public here instead of reporting it to TM. I don't think they are very active in pursuing the issue. Details will follow.
But it ain't necessarily so.

tadrlz

Indicators

Postby tadrlz » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:56 pm

I have noticed some indicators that someone is using a Fake/Duplicate Account:

1) If an account is less than 2 weeks old and has already attacked/taken over several Monuments, that is an indicator.
It takes time and resources to obtain the Materials to build an Army and is extremely seldom the first thing new players will do.

2) If the 2 week old account is sending the stolen Bread/Bricks to another account, that is an indicator.
It is not reasonable for any person to send their wealth to strangers for no reason if they are really here to play the game legitimately.

3) If you receive a Scroll from a person that did not take your Monuments claiming that they accidently attacked you several times, that is an indicator.
I received a Scroll from a person apologizing for the attack, yet that person never attacked me. I viewed the names given to the cities and both accounts and the same Naming Convention was used; specifically, this person added "...ville' to each city on both accounts.

4) If the person that attacks your Monuments goes into Vacation Mode shortly after attacking you but is still logging on and sending Scrolls.
The person is not worried about getting the Monument taken back because it is empty and if you take the Monument back, this allows them to attack others since they no longer have the two Monument limit.

5) Attacking Monuments is not logical and is short-sighted because the people that had their Monuments taken will make sure the attacker does not go below the Ranking of 50. I have maxed out the capacity on 4 Cities and could only drop below Ranking of 50 by getting a Monument. People that attack Monuments are simply revealing their real lifestyle; specifically, stealing and harming others as if that is success. These are the people that makes 'Trades' then do not adhere to the agreement to send the items. This game does provide the opportunity to attack Monuments but is not in the real 'spirit of the game'.

Apparently, idiots pervade every facet of society and will continue to be a burden on society until placed in a cage. Creating Fake/Duplicate accounts is not only a sign of an idiot, it reveals the inability to understand the Objective of the game which is to co-exist with others so that Exchanges/Trades can be conducted with mutual benefits to each participant in a civilized and honest manner.

Thanks to everyone for their input. The only thing keeping me from going Immortal is because I want to make sure that my attacker never achieves a low Rank in this game. :cool:

indigo

Postby indigo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:45 am

Um... just a point of clarification: You can't send goods from a monument to another account... only to the cities you control on that account. So, I fail to see how your accusation of duplicate accounts can stand if that is your sole proof. :confused:

abana

Postby abana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:26 am

A "duplicate/fake account" would have to be one that is a "regular player's" second account. I don't see that any of your indicators point to the fact that it is controlled by another player.

1) this account could be receiving assistance from another player, but that does not mean that it is not a separate person.

2) Are you saying that you know that they are sending the bricks, bread and limestone? How would you know this to be true?

3) Adding "ville" to city names is only circumstantial evidence.

4) Why would he go into vacation mode? What is wrong with doing that? And how do you know that he is sending scrolls?
Last edited by abana on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:11 am

Howdy, tadrlz!

I feel your pain. There are many exploits built into this game & abana uses most of them.

abana, methinks thou dost protest too much.

Mr Ears

Postby Mr Ears » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:57 am

"tadrlz" wrote:Apparently, idiots pervade every facet of society and will continue to be a burden on society until placed in a cage. Creating Fake/Duplicate accounts is not only a sign of an idiot, it reveals the inability to understand the Objective of the game which is to co-exist with others so that Exchanges/Trades can be conducted with mutual benefits to each participant in a civilized and honest manner.

Objection, objection, objection!

Which rules are that? For sure, they're not the rules of the game.

They're your rules only. Since it's only you postulating them, they're just your personal opinion. Nothing to care about really.

Lucky you that I don't know your ingame name. For your impudent declaring your individual opinion as general game rules, I would cover you with attacks until you would have got the message.

@Tink: :D

I can well imagine you feel his pain. But this has nothing to do with bugs, exploits or cheats, as you're always insinuating. The only reason for your returning ingame troubles is your poor, insufficient gameplay. :D

@Special Agent Pontius:

Wow, another case investigation......... can't wait till you come up with the first details....... so exciting! :D
Last edited by Mr Ears on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

abana

Postby abana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:22 pm

@ Tinkerbelle, you are so predictable that it is uncanny. I just knew that when I spoke in opposition to the OP, that you would support it. If I were ever brought up on any charges, you are two people that I sure wouldn't want to see in the jury box. Tadrlz would convict me based on a lot of circumstantial evidence, and you would just because it were me.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:25 pm

Ears, methinks thou dost protest too much too!

:D

...notice who the apologists are...

tadrlz

Obvious Name

Postby tadrlz » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Mr. Ears:

So you want my username for the game eh? Ha lol It is obvious that you are not very swift... my username is ' tadrlz ' Now wasn't that difficult...lol

What rules are you talking about? I simply stated my Opinion of what the Game Objective would be in a rational world, that is far different from a rule. I made no mention of 'rules' ; rather, the observations I made are inconsistant with rational game playing. For example:

The account had only been created nine days earlier but already had two cities and had captured 8 Monuments and sent over 150 soldiers to capture my Monuments. I think it is nearly impossible to acquire the resources necessary to build a second city that quick and acquire the resources to build up the soldiers. [and after all of that... delete her own account... hummm. you probably think that is normal playing.]

Additionally, #3 of my indicators is quite revealing since I made no complaint nor did I make a single comment regarding the attacks on me to anyone initially. Dirty Rook was not careful (which account she was using) when she sent me a scroll claiming both of my monuments were attacked accidently... How would she know that ??? unless she was using her other account?

Mr. Ears: Your statement: The only reason for your returning ingame troubles is your poor, insufficient gameplay. Reveals that you have no clue but blindly make unfounded allegations which you accuse others of doing.
With respect to my game playing ability, how did you make that determination? based upon what evidence? I was ranked 11 without cheating and am now rank 44 without Monuments... now what about your hasty and rash claim? It appears I make assumptions based upon circumstantial evidence and rational thinking while you had no evidence at all for your allegation.. lol again

Futhermore, I have often sent new player materials/goods but it is not usual to send sufficient materials/goods to build another city. That would defeat the purpose of the game. If you believe the purpose/objective is to steal/cheat/lie and otherwise bypass the normal methods of playing then that is simply a reflection of how you live your life. For example, if you get the answers to a test and make an 'A' and lead others to believe you earned it, then again, that is a reflection of your mindset. Playing by the rules in any game and in real life is the only way to feel satisfaction of normal competition. Unethical behaviour is not normal nor acceptable in my eyes. It is not the winning by any method that makes any activity worthwhile; rather, it is experiencing the difficulties and obtaining success without cheating that builds character in a person.

abana:

* How did I know that the person On Vacation was sending Scrolls?

Ha lol.... Because I was receiving the Scrolls ! duh
Hint: Nobody goes into Vacation Mode, then logs into the Account every day and sends Scrolls.. What would be your rational for someone doing that?

* Thanks for re-stating the obvious in your remark:
A "duplicate/fake account" would have to be one that is a "regular player's" second account. duh again.... lol

Am I one of the few that can utilize spatial reasoning analysis to paint a picture?

Anyway, color me gone !!! :D I expect the issue to be over and will not comment futher.... I shall go Immortal any second now.
Last edited by tadrlz on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

abana

Postby abana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:29 pm

tadrlz, Ok, if you were recieving the scrolls you can be sure that she sent them. But I can think of reasons that someone might go into vacation mode and still log in. Maybe she wasn't confident that she would be able to maintain logging in.

I restate that the "fake acount" would have to be the regular player's second account, how do you know that they are the same person?

Edit: There is no tadrlz on Sabah, or Theoris
Last edited by abana on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”