Common you TM writers.

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
gamester101

Common you TM writers.

Postby gamester101 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:44 am

I say this with both humor and seriousness.

In my opinion both CotN (which I won second place for building the grand pyramid the fastest) And Caesar 4, Which I own 1,2 and 3 as well. I consider those along with other brands like civ rome and the like, My personal favorites for city building/time managements.

That being said, Common writers, what’s the dealeo? Every city builder since, aside from the more modern times city builders, The CotN style games are basically non existent. Was CotN and Caesar 4 not profitable enough to continue along those styles? I don’t know if others feel the same way I do about it but, I’m dying for a super 2012 version of CotN, or something like it. Same with a up to date version of a Caesar style. Maybe Aztec or something. Since the world is supposed to end this year, maybe use THAT hook. I dunno. Just something along those lines.

Im into my 10th or 15th time over the years playing Caesar 4 again. Are there any plans on a new game, or am I the only one who’s commented on this?

Lates

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:00 am

It is not that they weren't good enough or popular enough, the problem was and still is the economy. Until that improves and they can get a publisher willing to foot the bill of development TM probably won't do any work at all.

Caesar IV was the property of Sierra, which owne the rights and published the game, as was Ceasar III and Caesar II. Sierra no longer exists but they probably still hold the rights to it.

Caesar I was the forerunner of Caesar II and was made public domain and given away for free back in the days just before Caesar IV was released.

There are tons of threads on both the Children of the Nile section and the Caesar IV section on what sort of citybuilder to make next. Aztecs have been suggested many times. There is virtually no culture or society that hasn't been suggested as a possible source of a "next game." A thread on this sort of subject was posted on the board little more than a week ago with a long long list of all the suggested possibilities that have been made over the years. If you scan through those boards or search for the old threads you should be able to find them.

tobing

Postby tobing » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:29 am

"Keith" wrote:It is not that they weren't good enough or popular enough, the problem was and still is the economy.

Hmm, I don't believe this is entirely true. From what I see it's that these city builders are incredibly difficult to make, doing so with HD and modern graphics becomes very expensive - and for that, the popularity is just not good enough. I.e. not enough people actually buying these games.

The only two big brands left in the city building genre are SimCity and the Anno series of games, and maybe Tropico as a niche thing. So Tropico is made by a quite small studio in Bulgaria, they are doing a very good job there. No idea how the Anno makers are doing, but I suspect that they are also doing reasonably well, at least here in Germany. Then SimCity is a huge brand, which alone should drive the upcoming release next year, but I also suspect that it will be a bit difficult to really make those old time SC4 fans happy.

Another interesting observation is, that in many genres, there are some open source remakes, like Lincity (SimCity), Widelands (Settlers 2), OpenTTD and Simutrans (Transport Tycoon), there is also a quite unfinished remake of the first Anno 1602 game in development. But nothing that comes close to Caesar III or the like.

Which is the reason I started to make such a game myself, won't be open source but at least the first release will be free. Villages & Cities (for lack of a better name) is a medieval city builder, with gameplay elements from all of the Impressions Games City Builder series.
http://www.villages-and-cities.de/vac
Not yet finished, but ready to play nevertheless, and there will be a new version soon, which incorporates the builder system (like Paraoh's architects, but a little more sophisticated).

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:22 pm

I don't think it's a lack of interest in city-building; on the contrary, there's a marked rise and popularity of city-building games on social media sites and iPhone/iPad/Android apps. It's not clear if there is a "decline" in city-building games; on the contrary, I see dozens available albeit mostly in a form that many of us may not recognize; whether or not the city-building hardcore likes it, it seems that the general gamer prefers the simplified and casual style of city-building. A market of that sort, of course, would not be helpful for a company (assuming that it even still exists besides the name) such as Tilted Mill unless there was a decision to move into that type of gaming.

tobing

Postby tobing » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Yes, you're right. There are many smallish games with less depth that also compete for player's time, and we all know how limited that is...

gamester101

Postby gamester101 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:34 am

"tobing" wrote:Which is the reason I started to make such a game myself, won't be open source but at least the first release will be free. Villages & Cities (for lack of a better name) is a medieval city builder, with gameplay elements from all of the Impressions Games City Builder series.
http://www.villages-and-cities.de/vac
Not yet finished, but ready to play nevertheless, and there will be a new version soon, which incorporates the builder system (like Paraoh's architects, but a little more sophisticated).

I’ll give it a try. And in advance, thanks for writing it to begin with. I’ve been looking on Amazon and can get some similar games. Like 5 or 6 of em for 40 or so bucks. This Anno? I think it’s called, looks interesting.

I’ve always been a wannabe writer & animator myself. I can’t do real C++ and the like, and my anim talents are worse. But I got these programs called Game Maker and Anim Studio Pro and now I have the means to at least get my ideas across and then maybe get some real pros interested.

A platformer based on humor and hopefully great rock music. I’ve been playing lead guitar for a bit over 40 years. So at least the music’s covered. The game is called Rockstar Ricky Roach “Payin His Dues”. Starts out with his playing being mediocre at best. Later gets 2 more band members. Bass and drums. Later those characters will be user accessible. The drummer has strength, move objects, bust open doors etc etc. After each level a song will be played by the band somewhere. Like a back yard party on the first level maybe, and bigtime concert at the end. You get the idea. Also real musician humor will be throughout. 2 versions will be made. R and PG.
I’m hoping the main character gains a following so more games can be written. Like Super Granny. I’m a bigtime fan. I own most of those.

My enemy is time. It’s hard to get enough to do any work on it. It’s been months since the last time. I’ll have to relearn Game Maker by the time I get most of the graphics done.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I’m looking forward to trying your game. Good luck with your writing.

gamester101

Postby gamester101 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:50 am

Thanks for all the input everyone. I understand the situation a bit better. Though it’s a shame. I hope a new game with today’s graphics can be made someday. I officially offer my services as beta tester.

Also want to say to all involved in My 2 TM favs, CotN and Caesar 4, Nice work. I still play them after all these years. And just for info, even though it’s another brand, Civ Rome is in my fav mix also. My top 3.

Thanks again folks. And good luck

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:29 am

Hopefully, TM can startup again and give something new in the not too distant future.

I have Civ City Rome also...played through several times over but prefer Caesar IV in the end. CCR is still a decent game...just different.

All I can say is "stay tuned." You never know what is going to happen or when.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:05 pm

"gamester101" wrote:Thanks for all the input everyone. I understand the situation a bit better. Though it’s a shame. I hope a new game with today’s graphics can be made someday. I officially offer my services as beta tester.

Also want to say to all involved in My 2 TM favs, CotN and Caesar 4, Nice work. I still play them after all these years. And just for info, even though it’s another brand, Civ Rome is in my fav mix also. My top 3.

Thanks again folks. And good luck

CCR's forum is dead but you can find scenarios here.

Return to “General Discussion”