Missing Oil production?

Find a bug on the Nile?
Saiph

Missing Oil production?

Postby Saiph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:19 am

I seem to have had some Oil go missing from one of my cities.

I traded all the Oil from my third city, "Tirdsville", and left it apparently producing 121 units per hour. I logged off for a meal, and when I came back about 80 mins later, the total Oil stock in the city was only 35! :eek: Anyone else noticed anything like this? :confused:

EDIT: I should mention that I have a small perfume factory in the same city - the figure of 121 units per hour is the net surplus after the perfume has been taken into account.

u:52226 (theoris) array ( 21298 => 'Furst City', 21277 => 'Zekond Zitty', 21250 => 'Tirdsville', )array ( 21308 => 'Nuclear Pile', 27780 => 'I Sphinx therefore I am', )
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0E)
Last edited by Saiph on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:40 am

Blessings from the gods and other bonuses to production may have ended in your Nome. See if your nome's god requires a donation.

Saiph

Postby Saiph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks for the reply Keith (coincidence - that's my name too - I hope I'm not talking to myself! :D ).

I don't think that any production bonuses ran out at the time, and even if they did, it would only reduce production by about 10%, right? After over an hour, I should have had well over 100 units of Oil, not 35.

I checked the forum for similar bugs before I posted here, and didn't see anything which looked like my problem. However, I've since read though a few threads, and this post in the "Having <1 Items" thread seems to describe what happened to me. The only difference is that Khellendros was stuck at "<1", whereas something seems to have kick-started my production after a delay.

I'll keep an eye out for this cropping up again. If I move or trade stuff and it leaves the display showing "<1", I'll try moving just 1 unit to that location. And if things seem to get stuck again, I'll make a few notes to document the bug more fully. Hopefully it won't be a serious problem in future.

(EDIT: My educated guess is that this is caused by a floating-point bug in Javascript, or whatever language is being used to run the game. I think when developers first created Javascript, they only anticipated it being used to do basic things like showing animations on web pages. I don't think they thought about people using it for fairly complex real-time mathematics!)

If anyone else wants to add extra info or ideas here, feel free, I'll check back every so often. But I'm going to leave it for now.
Last edited by Saiph on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:30 pm

One other suggestion, did you try purging the browser cache and then reload the page. Just in case you might have been loading up an old cached page instead of one with current numbers.

Saiph

Postby Saiph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:37 pm

"Keith" wrote:One other suggestion, did you try purging the browser cache and then reload the page. Just in case you might have been loading up an old cached page instead of one with current numbers.

Good idea. If it crops up again, I'll try this. I'm using FireFox, so I think CTRL+F5 refreshes the page without using the cache. But I'll try both methods to see if it works. Thanks.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:02 pm

I know Ctrl+F5 forces a new download refresh on IE, not sure on Firefox.

The browser settings can also be changed to force it to look for a fresh copy of every page you visit.

Return to “Bugs”