New game development.

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Blue Ghost

New game development.

Postby Blue Ghost » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:37 am

Hi there. I used to be a member of the old Impressionsgames forums, and have always enjoyed the games those guys made.

I was wondering if anyone here could give me advice on how to develop a new game.

Also, I've been trying track down a former Impressions employee whose gone onto develop websites, but I can't seem to track him down. His handle was Reed on the old 8-Faiths BBS.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:06 am

I'm unsure about your intentions, but this forum has a memberlist for starters.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:26 am

Reed is here. He drops in on a daily basis.

If you're talking about starting a new game from scratch by yourself, I strongly doubt the TM team would have the time to give much advice or tell you how to make one. There are forums for solo hobby game makers as well as online communities of people devoted to promoting independent games.
Last edited by Azeem on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

tobing

Postby tobing » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:35 pm

You want to develop a new game? If it's something like city building, you may contact me (PM is fine)...

Blue Ghost

Postby Blue Ghost » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:30 pm

My aim is to rule the world! Muahahahaha! :D

Seriously, I was just hoping to hook up with an old gaming partner, and see what he thinks about a game.

tobing

Postby tobing » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:15 am

"Blue Ghost" wrote:Seriously, I was just hoping to hook up with an old gaming partner, and see what he thinks about a game.

Good luck then!

Matt Zimmitti

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:14 pm

"Blue Ghost" wrote:Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reed came here after Impressions (and we keep him shackled up with plenty of things to do because he's just that darn good :D ).

If you're really looking to get started with developing a game from scratch I would do all of the following:

1) Come up with a coherent design doc. Gamasutra.com has some good articles on what makes up a good or bad design doc. Without a design doc to start you're just going to be swimming upriver the whole time. Don't go too nuts starting out even though your brain might be filled with cool ideas. Design features are like salt in cooking, easy to add... difficult to take back.

2) Seek out someone with a decent programming background and get Microsoft's XNA suite and C# compiler (both of which are free). It's a nice lightweight environment that you can use to get a game up and running pretty darn quickly and it has plenty of buttons and whistles. Also nice that it is good for both PC and xbox without having to really "port".

3) Find an artist who can do some 2D/3D work and grab some free downloadble tools like Gimp (2D) and I think Blender is free for 3D stuff.

4) Come up with a reasonable schedule.

5) Rule the world and let out a hearty "Muahahahaha!"

Hope that helps.

Blue Ghost

Postby Blue Ghost » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:52 pm

Thanks for the reply.

It's actually for an author friend of mine who's written some books, and was wondering what it took to create a PC game from his fiction. He doesn't know a whole lot about games, but is interested, and I told him I'd poke around a bit for him :)

Anyway, I know potential new properties are probably a bit taboo (legal stuff and all), so I'm sorry for "stirring the pot" as it were. Anywho, thanks for the reply all the same.

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:26 am

"Blue Ghost" wrote:Hi there. I used to be a member of the old Impressionsgames forums, and have always enjoyed the games those guys made.

I was wondering if anyone here could give me advice on how to develop a new game.

Also, I've been trying track down a former Impressions employee whose gone onto develop websites, but I can't seem to track him down. His handle was Reed on the old 8-Faiths BBS.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ask here :

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/

Return to “The Outside World”