A great read....

Off-topic discussions about everything else
angelisis

A great read....

Postby angelisis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:28 am

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas for something interesting to read....
fantacy but for grown ups.......any ideas....???

I am currently reading Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn series but found out it was more for the teeny market.......still a good read.....

so if you read fantacy....science fictions.......historical... and there is some cool stuff out there please let me know.
Last edited by angelisis on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

aramann

Postby aramann » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:59 pm

MArion Zimmer Bradley, The Mists of Avalon, The Forest House, etc. Good reads, somewhat historically accurate, a decent amount of fantasy. (celtic priestesses, Arthurian legends, even some Caesar thrown in) And decent sized books to sink into.

Danimusrex1

Postby Danimusrex1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:09 am

if you want to get into a good series try songs of fire and ice by george r.r. martin. HBO's makin a series out of it but its pretty mature and while fantasy it still is pretty realistic feeling...try it out.

another long series i liked was wheel of time by robert jordan. not kidish but not mature.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:20 pm

The fire & ice series is really great. Also try Mercedes Lackey (alternate historical fantasy) or Stephen Lawhead (Byzantine or his Grail series). Judith Tarr and Bernard Cornwall are also favorites. All of the mentioned write historical fantasy and nice thick books. :D

Novicia

Postby Novicia » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:30 am

Have to give another plug for all the authors listed so far!

Other fantasy recommendations:

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. First in a new series. A fat book, very gripping and sad in places. Stephen Donaldson (Chronicles of Thomas Covenant). Steven Erikson (Malazan Empire) - a long series of fat books and still ongoing. Katherine Kurtz (Deryni series). Jennifer Robberson (Chysuli series), but all her books are enjoyable. Jack Whyte (Camulod Chronicles) - Roman Britain and more Arthurian legends. Lois McMaster Bujold writes both science fiction and fantasy. Try the Miles Vorkosigan series for sci-fi and The Sharing Knife series for fantasy. For a modern book with a fantasy twist, try Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips. The Greek Gods are living in London and not happy with their lot in life, these days. Very funny.

Some non-fantasy historical authors I like are:

Colleen McCullough - her Masters of Rome series was brilliant, but weighty, with each book nearly 1,000 pages long! Nice illustrations, as well. Christian Jacq's novels are based on ancient Egypt. Valerio Massimo Manfredi - mostly ancient Greece and Rome. Steven Saylor - Rome. Conn Iggulden - I loved his Julius Caesar series and his new series is about Genghis Khan.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:36 am

My Aunt recommended that I read the Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey o_0

I haven't yet because there are so many books lol
but it has dragons in it so maybe I should :rolleyes:

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:58 am

non-fantasy?
John Steinbeck. "Nuff said! :D
Historical fiction - Gary Jennings

aramann

Postby aramann » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:18 pm

and another one... Mary Stweart - the Arthurian trilogy - all from a "different" perspective... great read.

WormHole

Postby WormHole » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:17 am

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski - the book used as the basis for the game The Witcher.

Return to “The Outside World”