Other games to try

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Solice

Other games to try

Postby Solice » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:33 am

So when Im not playing hinterland, if been spending some time lately playing a Game called Defense grid: the awakening. It one of the best tower defense games ive ever played. Theres a free demo on steam. Check it out.

http://defensegrid.hiddenpath.com/

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:01 pm

For people who actually don´t have time to play a RPG...

http://www.progressquest.com/

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:10 pm

A nice one I found out on at Heavengames.
Auditorium

The Heavengames Review

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:51 am

For a casual "society" sim, I'd suggest "Virtual Villagers." :o It's simple and kind of leaves a bit to be desired, but it can get addicting.

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:17 am

here is a good free opensource game, i play it on linux all the time, its simple, graphics aren't exactly the best but its fun.

http://www.wesnoth.org/

davypi

Postby davypi » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:02 am

I think the problem with defense grid is that there are enough free tower defense games, why should I pay for one? The demo was good, but not good enough to make me shell out money.

Wesnoth ROCKS!

tobing

Postby tobing » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:54 am

Free RTS: http://www.glest.org

Free Settlers II clone: http://sourceforge.net/projects/widelands (the project homepage seems to be down at the time of writing, but sourceforge is fine)

This one is a crawler, fortunately there's a graphical tile-version, too. making this perfectly playable. Reminds a tiny little bit of Hinterland... http://crawl-ref.sourceforge.net/

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:42 pm

I've noticed references to Settlers before. What's it like?

tobing

Postby tobing » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Settlers II is a quite unique game. It's using a path system, which defines the flow of all the goods and units, so setting this up for efficient work can be some challenge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers

In later versions like 3,4 they (Bluebyte) weakened that considerably, and in Settlers 5 and 6 it has completely gone, making those games 'just' RTS games. Recently they had Settlers II revived with great success, which simply is because that is a brilliant game.

Widelands is just a remake of this old game, as the original in 2D, and slightly enhanced with a few additional resources and buildings.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:47 am

One thing I really didn't like about the Settlers series was that your people were generally mindless automatons. They added *some* needs for citizens in Settlers 5 and 6, but not much. Settlers 5 was pretty much just another RTS.

tobing

Postby tobing » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:01 am

Interesting view... I never thought of those little people (that were waiting for things to transport on a path between two flags) as being actual people. Maybe I'm just more abstract, but these people just represent transportation on those paths between two flags, no more, but no less. Of course they are very automatic, and I guess they are even in the new versions of Settlers 2.

Also remember that Settlers 3 and 4 were more dumbed down versions of the original idea. They dropped the path system and made those little people a tad bit more intelligent to find their own paths, and made everything more beautiful in terms of graphics, but for me, that killed the fun in Settlers 2. I never managed to like versions 3 or 4, though I tried.

Timhotep

1100ad

Postby Timhotep » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:18 pm

I found this game yesterday: http://www.1100ad.com/

Looks very interesting, there are features like building queues, multicell buildings and terraforming. And PvP for those want it (and for those who don´t, I guess) ;)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:36 pm

The Settlers is an outstanding series! I have all of them now with finally ordering Rise of an Empire Gold from Amazon yesterday.

I finally downloaded & am still playing the demo at the moment.

Some players just don't like change. They want only clones. We have seen it here with first the slams against Caesar IV, then SCS, then the fact that Hinterland & Mosby's were not CBers & even now with Nile Online with PvP.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Michlo
Location: Originally Merseyside, England now Los Angeles, USA

Postby Michlo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:44 am

I've enjoyed some of the Settlers games but I made the mistake of purchasing that anniversary edition with the cartoony folk (I don't remember which version as I'm at work) and I didn't enjoy it at all. I think I played it once and it went into my software cupboard. heh

The others I've enjoyed but not enough to keep going back to. I came late to the series though.

I've been playing Civ IV's - Colonization when I can pull myself away from Fallout 3 and even though it is a simplified version of Civ IV it is quite fun.

I think I may pull out my 1492 AD again soon though as I never did finish that before getting my new PC. :)

Cheers.

Edit - Oops, it is 1701 AD, just a few years off. heh
Last edited by Michlo on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:24 pm

How do you pull yourself away from Fallout 3??? :eek:

Michlo
Location: Originally Merseyside, England now Los Angeles, USA

Postby Michlo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:28 am

"Amun Nefer" wrote:How do you pull yourself away from Fallout 3??? :eek:

Not very easily. Usually it is some silly thing like my job which interrupts me. :(
Last edited by Michlo on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:23 pm

I just downloaded Settlers II: 10th Anniversay Edition Demo last night & I gots to have it also! It is so cute! LOL

I guess it is the modern graphics version of the Settlers II that I never tried. We have to build roads!

Back to Amazon...

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:40 am

Settlers II Re-make and there's a III & IV, interesting. Well I've heard enough, guess I'm gonna have to get it.

Should I go for IV or start at the beginning?

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:32 am

There is also V: Heritage of Kings and VI: Rise of Empire.

tobing

Postby tobing » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:14 am

"tomnobles" wrote:Settlers II Re-make and there's a III & IV, interesting. Well I've heard enough, guess I'm gonna have to get it.

Should I go for IV or start at the beginning?

Settlers series is quite different, the different versions.

Settlers II is quite unique, with its path system. That was re-done in the remake version, to the delight of old fans. The open source project "Widelands" on sourceforge is also a remake of that old Settlers II version.

Settlers III and IV gave up on the pathing system, but did not manage to be real RTS games. In Settlers IV the AI is also heavily cheating, so that makes the gameplay somewhat annoying. Both are good for multiplayer.

Settlers V and VI are more or less just RTS games. Beautiful, but not very close to the 'original' Settlers II, they have an emphasis on building, but after all, they are just RTS games like so many others.

If you get the older versions, be sure got watch out for the gold packs. Settlers III, IV and V have at least 2 extensions each. Settlers II and VI are the most current, so there will be more extensions for them.

Have fun!

Return to “The Outside World”