Other games to try

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:26 am

"tomnobles" wrote:Anyone up for a beta test on a Rome Online game?

I missed this post... It looks like a wannabe Tribal Wars game. Not interested in those types of games, though.

However, I did notice right away that one of their ship graphics is that of a 15th century galleon... :rolleyes:

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:50 pm

Not a wannabe anything. :cool: Is Tribal wars an on-line game? Never mind I found it and not even close, well the town is set in a circle. :rolleyes: The closest game I could find was Travian. Not quite as war like though.
Last edited by tomnobles on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:44 am

They are all games where your form alliances and beat up on people who aren't in your alliance. An addictive but un-impressive format, in my view.

RemixedCat

Postby RemixedCat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:55 am

Been playing NWN 2 co-op with my brother and its fun but the attacking is slow as hell. good game though

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:18 am

Looking for some other sims to play? Check out the store/simulations link at www.auran.com.

Auran publishes the train simulator called Trainz. They've just released their 2010 version. In Trainz, you can be the engineer and operate the locomotive, or run the train from external views. With the appropriate add-ons you can build your own railroad line and run your trains on it using realistic railroad operational rules and speed limits, etc.

They have a couple of other train sims available too, the classic A-Train and one called Railroad Lines. A-Train lets you setup a urban transportation rail line in a city. Railroad Lines is reasonably cheap and lets your run trains in scenarios carrying out specific tasks within time limits to score points. It also has a sandbox mode that lets you just run the trains.

They also offer sims like Traffic Giant, Transport Giant, Hotel Giant, just in case running trains is not your cup of tea.

There is a three-pack of the above games available or you can get them individually. There is also a three-pack that includes Bus Driver, Ship Simulator, and a train simulator.

Also available is a sailing simulator.

If you like combat simulations they also offer Hearts of Iron, a strategic WWII game, PT Boats Knights of the Sea simulator, and T-34 vs. Tiger a WWII tank combat simulator. PT Boats and T-34/Tiger offer high quality graphics on a 3D map. Refight the Russian offensive against the retreating Wehrmacht or in PT Boats command a U.S. PT Boat, British MTB or German Schnell Boot (S-Boot or "E-boat" as the allies called it) and raid enemy shipping.

Unfortunately there are no demos to try. They used to have a Trainz demo on their site that I tried a couple years back.

Kosminhotep

Portal is free until May 24th

Postby Kosminhotep » Thu May 13, 2010 7:13 pm

Just in case there are people that still haven't heard:

http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/

You'll have to install Steam, but it's well worth it. One of the greatest games ever. :D

Jacquou Le

Stronghold Fans

Postby Jacquou Le » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:40 am

I think most of you in here will love this game, Stronghold Kingdoms:

http://www.strongholdkingdoms.com/

This is the game what I need to play online for a long time.

Just a brief to who don't know the Stronghold series. It combines city-building mode with war mode, 50/50. It's still in Alpha, but you guys just go to its site, leave your email and wait for invitation then play. There's a client to download before playing.

I wish this SHK can inspire a "CotN Empire" :D

But, real CBers don't care about graphics... I'm still playing Caesar 2 with... lot of crashes :p

Darsis

Postby Darsis » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 pm

"Jacquou Le" wrote:I think most of you in here will love this game, Stronghold Kingdoms:

http://www.strongholdkingdoms.com/

This is the game what I need to play online for a long time.

I just got my alpha invite a few days ago for Kingdoms and it's pretty fun so far.

On that note, I love the stronghold series in general and about peed myself with excitement when they announced Stronghold III.

I still play every game in the series, lots of fun so I definitely recommend them.

Disciples II is another favorite of mine.

Jacquou Le

SHK Open Beta

Postby Jacquou Le » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:37 am

I want to tell everyone who following this thread that Stronghold Kingdoms is open for beta today. Just register then play. But you need to download the client (107 MB). It's not a browser-game.

Free to play. Paying is optional for premium tokens and play cards.

Herodotus

Cities in Motion

Postby Herodotus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Cities in Motion looks interesting - a sort of SCS/SC4/...Tycoon type game, graphics look a bit like SCS

http://www.citiesinmotion.com/game-info

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:33 pm

There was a german game called "Traffic Giant" (I think it was called) that was nearly identical to "Cities in Motion", at least in concept. You built a city transportation system, roads, traffic signals, buses, trains, buildings, etc. I played the demo of it a quite a few years ago. The cities had a distinctly german characteristic to them, of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Giant

http://www.jowood.com/?lang=en&site=2&gameid=trafficgiant

Jacquou Le

Traffic Giant

Postby Jacquou Le » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:16 am

Traffic Giant is a interesting game. I've played the full version before. It's a city-building game, but mostly concentrates in transportation. The reason I stopped playing because of some game glitches that put me off. And lack of updates from the developer. Seeming that they no longer supported the game since then.

I've just found a game, clone of the Transport Tycoon. It's called OpenTTD in SourceForge.net. It's free and interested enough for me to spend time in it :D .

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:42 am

Back in the days when Windows 98 ran on MS-DOS, I found a small free game called "Gridlock". It ran in DOS. It only used the four CGA colors of red, green, blue, yellow and was otherwise black and white. It was a simple looking game, but it proved very challenging. I've searched for it on the net, but only found other games called "Gridlock" which aren't the same at all. I may still have a copy of the game stored on one of my old Iomega zipdisks I used to use to backup my system. My zip drive isn't working and not connected to my current machines. I may try searching through them all someday.

At any rate, the game was all about traffic control. There was a fixed layout of one-lane, two-lane, three-lane, four-lane and multiple lane roads. There were a few blocks on the layout representing building destinations spreadout over the city, such as a shopping mall, etc.

Your first task was to setup the traffic control network. You placed stop signs (2-way and 4-way stops), and traffic signals, some with left turn siganals, others without the left turn signal. Some intersections had a left turn lane. You then programmed the traffic signal lights, you set the duration for each of the green lights and the left turn signals.

Once you had your signals all programmed and all your stop signs placed you set the amount of traffic. Then you turned on the game. The traffic was automatically generated and started flowing into view from the edge of the screen on each of the roads in varying amounts and a slightly different speeds.

The amount of traffic would gradually increase up to the limit you set. The vehicles were represented by small yellow, blue, red and green rectangles, except for the one lone target vehicle which was white and would arrive on the map at a random moment. It would have a specific destination on the map to get.

It would navigate through the streets along with the rest of the vehicles obeying all the lights and traffic signals you placed until it arrived at it's destination.

However, if you didn't do a good job of setting up the traffic controls and programming the lights, traffic might start getting backed up and block other intersections preventing other traffic from crossing or turning onto another road.

At this point you begin fine tuning your traffic lights and changing the stop signs to provide the most efficient flow to the traffic trying clear any backup or blockage. However, it usually led to total gridlock where most of the cars were trapped in huge blockages. You tried to prevent this state as long as possible and your time is recorded.

The game had a fun but pointless "night mode" where you could make all the little vehicles turn on their headlights (two little white pixels) on their front end.

I would spend hours trying and retrying signal light programming. It proved very addictive. Searching for this game on the net evently led me to the discovery of "Traffic Giant", which has similar functions, but to a much simpler degree.

If someone ever would turn that old DOS game into one that ran on Windows I'd buy it in a second. The traffic signal programming was very engaging and challenging.

Eureaka! I've found it!

After all these years I finally found another copy of the game above. I refined my google search by elimnating results including "parking", "android", "iphone" and "buster" (for Gridlock Buster -> an entertaining online traffic control game @ http://www.its.umn.edu/GridlockBuster/game/) .

search on: "traffic control game gridlock -parking -android -buster -iphone" (omit quotes)

I found a copy of it at: http://www.demu.org/pages/view.php?ref=1107

You need a way to run it in DOS on your system to play it. You may be able to use a program like DOSBOX that simulates MS-DOS..

Like I said, it's not much on looks but I found it very addictive. It's just amazing how entertaining a game that is only 98KB in size can be!

Tilted Mill make me a updated Windows version of this game, please! <Grin>
Last edited by Keith on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 pm

"Jacquou Le" wrote:I've just found a game, clone of the Transport Tycoon. It's called OpenTTD in SourceForge.net. It's free and interested enough for me to spend time in it :D .

I haven't played, but there's some info on TTD plus a server running it here;
http://www.citybuildergames.com/index.php?action=forum#41

Flammehav

Postby Flammehav » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Havent read through the whole post so don't know if it has been suggested yet, but have you tried Paradoxes games? They are rather cheap and as for EU3 wich I'm currently play you can choose between every single nation that existed between 1399 and 1821, including nation you can release yourself at any date you choose, the replay value is bigger than in any other game I've tried.

If you choose to buy it make sure to get either the complete pack,(original game with 2 expansion), or the chronicles wich contains the original game and all 4 expansion, changing the game radically from how it was at launch.

Lots of strategy, building economies, alliance, diplomacy and for the warmongers you can ofcourse choose to go madman and try and conquer the entire world :) . Do it as Ryuko and you get an acivement. (If you don't know where Ryuko is, Okinawa is part of the island group). The game is not for online play, but you can play multiplayer with up to 8 people I think.

There is also like a dusin differnt modes, changing the areas, adding new provinces, introducing more goods and changing a lot of things in the game, as most of the games is super easy to mod, that even me that have NO ide what coding is can change loads of things both in the main files of the game and edit the save file without problems.

If you're bored it's really worth to chech out. They also have other good games like Crusader king(old they're working on the sequal atm), Hearts of Iron(WW2 area), and Victoria 1 and 2 + some other less known games. Starting playing EU2 back in 2004 and I'm still not bored :)

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I have been searching for something else to play. I will give it a try.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:47 am

Hey all, I do not recall if it has been mentioned in this thread but I found a game I really enjoy playing.

Imperium Romanum from Kalypso Media, quite fun, simple and easy CB'ing with just a little warfare. It's really not super challenging with a few exceptions and every scenario is pretty easy to win.

I remember playing the previous game from them, Glory of the Roman Empire which I did not like at that time and only played a few levels.

The latest version is called Grand Ages Rome and is really a different game than Either Glory of the Roman Empire or Imperium Romanum. I have not played this enough yet to know if I like it or not.

I did not provide links as you can just do an easy search and find lots of info.

Good luck and Happy Playing!
:cool:

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi Panther.

I played GotRE and Grand Ages Rome, but not Imperium Romanum.
They all took a lot of getting used to, And a cop out compared to C4 or C3 which I thought are are far superior games, but none the less you can have a lot of fun with them.

I found GotRE most fun because you had slaves running everywhere, and the secret was to prepare in advance for the potential next scenario on your existing map. There was one case where an under-prepared map one meant an impossible second scenario, and a complete restart including the tutorials.

But GAR was a big disappointment because the use of "flow resources" meant there were no real products, no cart pushers, no warehouses, no inventory or stock... but just a radius of coverage and a generalised "production" from a building. There was also endless battling and not enough CBing.

If you want a new or redicovered Roman CB, then Civ City Rome is a much better game depite its flaws. In some respects it is better than C4 because individual workers live in particular houses and work in specific jobs, but it has an "unfinished" feel, and needed an upgrade and so C4 is superior.
Unfortunately Kuplo's (City Builder's) forum closed down due to spam and hacking a couple of months back.
You can develop you own style with CCR. I played differently to Tom Nobles (all hail as usual) but still found a way to play well, once you understand the basics. It's a great game to discover and lab and generally play with. Tom's website has some of his own scenarios.
http://tomnobles.com/

Tom, if you read this, come and post here occasionally...

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Yep CCR was fun to play but didn't hold me for very long. I still enjoy all the TM CB games and if I had to pick a best of genre it would be CoTN. All other games so far have been trying to reach that nirvana.

I was actually thinking of pulling out some old favorites and having a Pharaoh / Zeus weekend.

When was the last time someone played Emperor: ROTMK? Always loved that game.

alincarpetman

Postby alincarpetman » Fri May 18, 2012 12:40 am

I have made a few lists of related city builder, economic and rts games for any interested. It's fun to dig around and check out some games you never got into back in the past or noticed because they weren't well known. I have found a lot of interesting games by browsing on the Mobygames database.

Here's a list of ancient city builder games
Here's a list of modern city builder games
And here's a list of fantasy/sci-fi rts games

Nowadays you can find older games for a good price on Amazon, Ebay, Gog.com and elsewhere. Happy exploring and gaming! :p

Return to “The Outside World”