Do you Twitter? Why?

Off-topic discussions about everything else
dreadmime

Do you Twitter? Why?

Postby dreadmime » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:24 pm

So i've been having this discussion with someone that I really don't see the point in Twitter.

I can understand MySpace and Facebook. I can see a place to share photos, and updates of your life in a meaningful way.

I can understand livejournal, and wordpress, and etc. Blogging is fun even if only for personal therapy. I have a LJ account and I use it frequently. I really don't care if people read my stuff or not. I'm not writing for them. :p

But I can't understand 140 - character "updates" about what your doing.

Especially when, as a point to understand, I joined twitter, and made an effort to look at a large sampling of people (about 200 people so far) and most of them are like "Lulz, sleepin." "Yay, food." ... who really cares? How is this popular? What's the "draw" of Twitter?

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:25 pm

No, and because I'm not a tool who follows every trend like my roommate.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:28 pm

"Amun Nefer" wrote:No, and because I'm not a tool who follows every trend like my roommate.

Don't you mean fool?

Also no I don't twitter, my eyes are steady :rolleyes: . I do have a facebook, though.

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:28 pm

Lol, tool and fool. He does every single trend that's considered cool. As one of my other roommates put it, "If it were cool to be gay, he would be gay." (With absolutely no offence intended towards our homosexual community, I'm just demonstrating how much of a follower he is. :( )

I used to have a MySpace, I don't do FaceBook though. Tweeting is just I don't know, could be useful, but it's just so ridiculous thanks to all the stupid things on there.

dreadmime

Postby dreadmime » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:04 pm

Well, one of the people I was talking to pointed out at least a useful function. He uses the RSS Function of Twitter to automatically update more news about a product he sells from other places on the web, so that anyone searching for that product will have a better chance of seeing his twitter feed, and then check out his product page, and in turn, they're friends will see his product page.

So I suppose it DOES have some use in that respect, but overall? Yeah.

I check my MySpace once a month. Nothing changes. I use it mostly to write emails and post photos to what's left of my family and friends back home.

I never got into Facebook. I have a Facebook account, but i've got one friend, who never replies and never posts anything themselves. (laugh)

I've got a bunch of people I talk to in LJ oddly, and who seem remarkably interested in my going's on.. but again... I talk a lot. I don't think I could sum anything up into 140 characters.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:17 pm

I don't "tweet" (twitter),

I don't use/have facebook or myspace.

I don't text....no blackberry, etc.

I don't chat with things like MSN/ICQ/AIM.

I don't blog or read them.

I don't own a cell phone. The last thing I want is to have people be able to reach me anywhere I am at any time of the day. I hate answering the phone. I used to have to do that all day at work.

You have to call my home and go through my answering machine or my wife...and I may pickup the phone...but probably not.

I prefer being uninterrupted in whatever I'm doing.

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:45 pm

Wow... Talk about off the grid. O.O

tomnobles

Twouble wid Twitters

Postby tomnobles » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:03 pm

Wasn't there an old star trek episode by that name? Oh no, it was tribbles or something. Anyway, this sums up twitters;

http://www.twitterpowersystem.com/blog/twouble-twitters-funny-twitter-video/

I think they are starting a twiddeo thingy....... :D Way too much time on their hands.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:16 pm

I'm a little "behind" the times myself.

No twittering. No blogging. No chatting. No MP3 players.

I do have a Sprint Touch phone though I text only about once or twice a week for no more than 1 minute and don't use 2/3rds of its features.

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:23 pm

I don't see any reason to become a Twit (my term for someone who uses Twitter). I never blog because it's pointless. I don't really chat anymore myself, college isolates you from your old friends to some extent. :(

I use a BlackBerry though. :)

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:31 pm

My daughter probably has all the above. I think her phone even reads text messages to her. I wouldn't have a phone is she didn't insist. This machine is good enough for me. :cool:

Michlo
Location: Originally Merseyside, England now Los Angeles, USA

Postby Michlo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:59 pm

I also don't twitter and never will.

I think people already share too many "what they are doing now" updates on Facebook, etc. I really don't need to know you just went to the toilet. Yeesh.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:20 am

I'm not totally off the grid.

I do have a computer. I'm on the internet and I hang out on boards like this.

Until my ISP stopped hosting I used to have a slew of various webpages that are all now off-line save for one or two.

I have my own woefully under-visited basically unused message board over on proboards.com (panzerblitz.proboards9.com.)

I've got tons of MP3s, no player. I play them on my computer. These all consume enough of my time.

I don't want to be overwhelmed with the other things I mentioned in the post above, because I really don't need them.

dreadmime

Postby dreadmime » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:26 am

I have... a cellphone...somewhere.

Cost like $10 at WalMart. Whenever we're really "going somewhere"... i'll put $5 on it.

Cellphones are another "Never understood the point".

I grew up in a town where even today, I can go back and visit, and tell you who lives where, who their kids are, their parents, their grand kids, their pets...

These days... most people don't even KNOW their neighbor's name... much less the people on their street, in their apartment building, what have you.

I blame things like cellphones giving us ways to "disconnect" from our immediate surroundings by instead allowing us to "connect" only to those people we can relate and/or agree to. :p

The internet's partly to blame as well, but for now, not a lot of people can take the internet with them. (And your iPhone don't count towards the internet... it's a cellphone. heh.)

I also don't get the need for your cellphone to do everything.

My cellphone... makes phone calls. I think I can text message with it.

My sister has an iPhone.

I asked her how the call reception was.

She said "I dunno. I haven't called anyone with it. It's shaped weird and doesn't seem like it'd work well though."

So I sorta sighed and said "So you bought a phone that doesn't make...phone calls?"

And she said "Yeah, but it does everything else!"

THAT... is the problem with our world.

markedisonchua
Location: Chemaphy Slaying Problem Market and Cyberwarface Office

Postby markedisonchua » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:48 pm

Twitter!!! Twitter what eerie sound but cant understand the essence of Twitter...

I read secu ws, ict ws... browser games...

2ndPhoenix

Postby 2ndPhoenix » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Twitter, IMHO, can be pretty useful when applied towards business and marketing. I use it to reach out personally to my customers, to let them know what's going on with the company, and new updates. It's integrated into my company website, which transitioned recently to a CMS-based backend with Web 2.0 slathered copiously on each side.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:04 pm

"Michlo" wrote:I also don't twitter and never will.

I think people already share too many "what they are doing now" updates on Facebook, etc. I really don't need to know you just went to the toilet. Yeesh.

I'm reading all these comments at the moment. :rolleyes: ;)

dreadmime

Postby dreadmime » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:09 pm

ImmatureKid#1231 is: "Poopin!" at 3:12pm.

Course, that's the same with Cellphones.

I mean, what's the etiquette there? You're out at a restaurant. You feel your bowels wrinkle up and heave, so you excuse yourself to the bathroom.

You're sitting there evacuating for your life, praying it stops when the phone rings.

What's the rule there? I'd certainly hope voicemail. But given how many times i've gone into a bathroom, to hear someone in a stall, or see em at the sink washing their hands... clearly "Talkin' to someone while you're pooping" is ok....

Michlo
Location: Originally Merseyside, England now Los Angeles, USA

Postby Michlo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:47 am

"dreadmime" wrote:ImmatureKid#1231 is: "Poopin!" at 3:12pm.

Course, that's the same with Cellphones.

I mean, what's the etiquette there? You're out at a restaurant. You feel your bowels wrinkle up and heave, so you excuse yourself to the bathroom.

You're sitting there evacuating for your life, praying it stops when the phone rings.

What's the rule there? I'd certainly hope voicemail. But given how many times i've gone into a bathroom, to hear someone in a stall, or see em at the sink washing their hands... clearly "Talkin' to someone while you're pooping" is ok....

Be glad you don't work in a 24 hour NOC where, if you happen to be by yourself, you're expected to take the 'phone into the restroom with you because there is no voicemail! Not pleasant.

dreadmime

Postby dreadmime » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:00 am

Oddly, I have "rules" when I work.

you know like... "The bathroom is a private sanctuary. Unless there's a bomb in the building, or the sucker's on fire... it's not THAT important."

Same with a NOC.

"Halp! The Server Crashed!"

"Yeah, look, I had this double-spicy chili burrito for lunch.. so it's gonna be like.. an hour to get your server back up. Maybe more."

Return to “The Outside World”