Microsoft confirms Windows 7 coming this year

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:31 pm

Here's mine. :)

But tom what if I don't have the DVD? :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:34 pm

What DVD?

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:51 pm

It says on that second weblink, I just preordered Windows 7, at 70% off on Amazon. :D

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:30 am

LOL! I thought I'd missed something. Yeah, I also pre-ordered it. Couldn't beat the price.

My poor machine is getting crowded. 4 DVD's, 4 HD's and 4 CPU's. :D

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:11 am

Lol, WHY do you need that much? XD Get a Blu-Ray Player, Mr. :p

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:18 am

No more switching CD's. Different OS's on the hard disks. I figure XP, XP Pro, Windows 7 & one for spare. :D

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:44 am

Lol, did you burn Vista? :p How big are the HDDs? :eek:

Karter

Postby Karter » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:38 am

I tested Windows 7 and found nothing exciting about it.

The only real things (IMHO) it has over XP is
being able to resize your HDs and
make it easier to backup your system

which there are so many utilities out there for XP, that it makes it a mute subject

Windows 7 does allow you to run older XP programs whereas Vista you need to run Virtual PC and install a copy of XP

So I guess my question is....
why do I need a new OS that offers so little, needs 1 gig of ram to run, just to be able to run my old XP software?

Since 2001, I feel MS has truly gone downhill in product quality and ethics, it has outlived its usefulness perhaps

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:42 am

THEY NEED MOAR MONEY!!!!!!![COLOR="Green"] MOAR $$$$$ MOAR!!!!!!!!111[/color] That is why, as with every major company. :)

Other than that, meh, I guess the real marketing point is vast improvement over Vista, so if I have to choose between buying XP and 7, I'll go with the slightly nicer, discounted one. :)

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:59 pm

"Amun Nefer" wrote:Lol, did you burn Vista? :p How big are the HDDs? :eek:

Never hav Vista. HD's are 300G, 370G, (price was right), 1TB (again-price) & a 30G (from old machine).

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:25 pm

"Amun Nefer" wrote:That is why, as with every major company. :)

I suppose they'll be asking for bailout money too....Image

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:32 pm

"Karter" wrote:...needs 1 gig of ram to run...

Doesn't seem that long ago that Bill said (paraphrased) "we'll never need more than 512K memory". I wonder if he remembers saying that.

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Oh no, that's awful. :(

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:27 am

"tomnobles" wrote:Doesn't seem that long ago that Bill said (paraphrased) "we'll never need more than 512K memory". I wonder if he remembers saying that.

Yes he does, I was at a DirectX conference in Seattle back on 2002 and someone from the audience asked him if the next windows will go back to a 512k footprint. He laughed and took the next question.
:cool:

DustysMomma

Postby DustysMomma » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:05 am

"pcgamer2" wrote:its called the process of dumbing down, and the main reason is that is for money.Think about it, more and more people are using the computer, and more and more are learning HOW to use it, and get more advanced and wonder what this and that does, which when too many go to that, well, for one that hurts microsoft because then more people will realize Linux is better for them, and 2 all computer help companies and learn how and all those con artists, they will go out of buisness when people don't need them anymore.So now, microsoft is leading the way, and it started with MS office 2007 and the ribbon interface, and it will only get worse, they can achieve by reducing productivity for ease of use, like putting huge buttons so only a few can fit on a menu.This is why linux is the only answer now, there are flavors of linux that are easy to use too (Mandriva and ubuntu) but they still focus on productivity, same with openoffice.And it is happening, see the thread of linux breaking the glass to the 1% mark finally.

My mom is 63 and still doesn't have a computer. We've been considering sending her my old desktop, but she's about 1000 miles away, so my brother and niece would have to go teach her how to use it. Since he spends most of his spare time working on her car, I don't think he would appreciate that. Anyway, she is exactly the person you're talking about in this post. She's going to be the grandmother who finally gives up & gets email & if it's not super easy to use, she won't be able to do it. That means dumbing it down....way down. I'll probably have to make a trip to NY state once a year to reimage the hard drive if I do this, since my brother has no clue how to do that or who to take it to there and knowing my mom she'll say she doesn't trust anyone there anyway!

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:51 pm

"Karter" wrote:I tested Windows 7 and found nothing exciting about it.

The only real things (IMHO) it has over XP is
being able to resize your HDs and
make it easier to backup your system

which there are so many utilities out there for XP, that it makes it a mute subject

Windows 7 does allow you to run older XP programs whereas Vista you need to run Virtual PC and install a copy of XP

So I guess my question is....
why do I need a new OS that offers so little, needs 1 gig of ram to run, just to be able to run my old XP software?

Since 2001, I feel MS has truly gone downhill in product quality and ethics, it has outlived its usefulness perhaps

so you are planning on running 2001 technology forever? Windows XP is older then you think.... it is still core on i386 for 32 bit, and the 64 bit one was achually based on windows server 2003.for 32 bit, i386 is OLD. Most linux are based on the newer i686 and 64 bit seamless, vista/7 still are basing on i386 but they are having seamless 64 bit.Windows 7 has super cache, more secure kernal, better use of newer hardware (to be exact, new hardware should run A LOT better on a system using windows 7 with aero or linux kde4 with all the niffty effects enabled including sub pixel rendering, direct rendering, vsync then a windows xp base or kde3.It gives you gpu something to do so it frees up your cpu to do other tasks better.

if you are really against microsoft's newer products, don't stick with the old crap, seriously, go to the alternatives http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

leave kd4 for newer hardware and for bleeding edge software, select gnome if you want a more mature, but not as niffty in graphics and innovation.

mandriva KDE4 desktop would look like this

the gnome

(yes they are ugly default, but its pretty easy to turn it into http://i42.tinypic.com/x3vku8.png

Return to “The Outside World”