How would you rate the reappearance of Spey?

Off-topic discussions about everything else

How would you rate his reappearance?

Woot, time to troll! :D
26%
Well it's nice he's back...
21%
I don't know about this
11%
Ugh best to ignore.
No votes
LEAVE. NOW!
21%
Why do you think I care, Amun? WHY?!
21%

Total votes: 19

abana

Postby abana » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:51 pm

On some points I agree.

On others I don't and I will explainl

I know more of what he did at CBc, but I am not at liberty to say.

Neither you nor I know all that he may have done at HG, or here, or other forums for that matter.

Yes, he suffer from Asperger's, as do I, and my daughter, my grandson, and many more that I know. Allowances should not be made, one property of Asperger's is that those with the syndrome will take advantage of it.

The simplified explaination of Asperger's is that the one who suffers has difficulty in social situations. If you allow him to act out, he will keep doing it. He will never learn that way.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:07 pm

My brother thinks I'm mean because I don't enable him like dear ma and pa :rolleyes:
Aspergers is a "higher functioning" autism than what my brother has.. which means he is more capable than my brother.

Homeworld'sa

Postby Homeworld'sa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:09 pm

"Trium" wrote:I hesitate to join this, but...

Homeworld'sa, like speysider before him, has an unhealthy interest in forums. He's not alone in his 'obsession', there are many here who spend WAY too much time hanging around in forums (me included) and some of the postcounts here are astronomical. But he has an 'obsession' with the administration of forums and their control.

He also has an attitude problem to go along with this. He thinks forums aren't run properly and he sees himself as the one who can do it better (by his standards). He thinks he can just say 'close this thread' and someone will dutifully come along and close it. At least today he posted a suggestion @Reed and not a demand, so he's trying.

For those reasons, and not for reasons of particularly 'bad behaviour' (like trolling, swearing, spamming, etc) he gets right up the nose of admins and moderators. They try and explain things to him, but he has comprehension difficulties and argues instead of listening. We had that with speysider at HG - he came right over to CBC and started asking questions about how the site is run, who moderates it and to what criteria, etc. So he gets banned. Not because he's bad or poorly behaved (others have higher qualifications than him on that score) but because he makes a nuisance of himself.

Speysider is a teenager, and not a very well-adjusted one at that. He suffers from a form of autism and people should make allowances. It's rather an ugly spectacle to watch the teasing (and dare I say bullying) of someone so afflicted.

Homeworld'sa - you are so like speysider I'd put money on him being you. You've had this advice many times - join in discussions by all means. Express your opinions. But play nicely. Leave the running of the site to those whose job it is. They don't need telling if there's a spambot around, they don't need newbie forumers telling them how to run the site. You've already expressed a desire to help Reed - help him by staying out of his hair.

That's a perfect explanation. If people help me, then I will help in return. It's my nature to do that. Praising me for whatever I did, will allow me to praise you when you do something right.

Just answering your last paragraph - yeah, sure thing dude, I hate upsetting the top admin. If I show a desire to help, then I sit and wait patiently. And your tips do help my behaviour improve. So thanks Trium, but I notice, you don't visit this forum much. :(

"Zeal" wrote:that's exactly why I posted at all in this thread, Spey was/is a child, and grown adults swarmed him like vultures. :o

I will look for a link to a picture that Spey posted of himself to prove that he is young (not that everybody doesn't already know) and I am also aware that he allegedly suffered from some form of autism.

I am "defending" him because I have been the primary care taker of my oldest brother, who is autistic, for years. My brother behaves well and can function normally for the most part but gets set into familiar "routines" and will panic and behave "poorly" if there is too much deviation.
If Spey is similar to my brother then he "needs" that order (the moderation and rules he preaches) because it is HIS retinue (assuming he really is autistic) which is also why he behaved that way.

it's true that it gets tiring to hear again and again about how it "should be" and how "he would do it" and I'm not really upset at Reed for banning him either. (actually Reed gave him fair warning)
it's the community that upset me I've seen 0 tolerance for him from the very beginning.

I thank you Zeal, very true. If you want a link, I'll provide it for you :)
http://hw-private.sea-of-lost-souls.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=395#p395

"abana" wrote:On some points I agree.

On others I don't and I will explainl

I know more of what he did at CBc, but I am not at liberty to say.

Neither you nor I know all that he may have done at HG, or here, or other forums for that matter.

Yes, he suffer from Asperger's, as do I, and my daughter, my grandson, and many more that I know. Allowances should not be made, one property of Asperger's is that those with the syndrome will take advantage of it.

The simplified explaination of Asperger's is that the one who suffers has difficulty in social situations. If you allow him to act out, he will keep doing it. He will never learn that way.

Part of that just shows that some of the members here are plain cruel, which shows hostility. Oh well, life will go on.
Last edited by Homeworld'sa on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:12 pm

don't confuse empathy with compassion...
I'll help you by kicking your butt if you step out of line ;)

as I said.. enabling is a NO in any case.

Homeworld'sa

Postby Homeworld'sa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:14 pm

"Zeal" wrote:I'll help you by kicking your butt if you step out of line ;)

Now I did LOL at that :D
And I don't mind, as long as I'm in tip-top condition, I'm happy.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:31 pm

ohh?

here is a stern warning...
I already said that "Aspergers Autism" is "higher functioning".
that means if my brother can behave 'appropriately' you can too Spey
I will only defend you for so long... if I don't see "improvement" I will turn very quick. ;)

It's a bit hypocritical for me to say this but I do not want to see you doing the same things that got you banned last time.

PS none of this will matter if Reed decides to ban you again ;)
I think you were Perma-banned

Homeworld'sa

Postby Homeworld'sa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:39 pm

He might decide that a second chance is allowed :) I've seen it happen. People do get a second chance from time to time

I will improve. I have a friend of mine called Muyiwa, who I like very much and helps me a lot.

abana

Postby abana » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:41 pm

I can only imagine how difficult your life is, then. One of the first signposts with my grandson was that he wouldn't try and talk, he just didn't seem to realize that the sounds that came from people were meaningful. They started using sign language with him. That broke down the barrier. Then she had to transfer his communication to verbal, by refusing to give him what he wanted unless he verbalized it. That took a lot. Sometimes now she wishes he would shut up.

For those who don't know, Autism is mostly that all of your senses are too acute(is that how you would define it, Zeal?) My daughter has been writing an essay to try and illustrate to "normal" people how it feels. She is going through a typical morning. The earsplitting alarm, blinding light when you open your eyes. the assault by the shower(I have problems with that, I can deal with it by spending very little time actually under the spray, but because of this I need to have a shower head that I can direct away from me, no one could understand why I hated Gym classes in high school, the sowers were too small to get away from the spray).

My case was addressed almost exclusively with punishment if I didn't give in, and that isn't effective. My daughter received some level of real help, but there were still times that we tried to do it with discipline. "You sit there until the eggs are gone" She cannot abide by the taste of yolks. My grandson is getting much better treatment. For him, one of the biggest problems is touch, I would like to buy him clothes, but some fabrics he just can't stand (blanket sleepers are "too soft"), she has to let him try on any clothes.

So many people think that an autistic child is just plain "dumb", but he is constantly overwhelmed by his senses. The colors from oil on a puddle, the rushing water in a sewer...

I read a book once(I wish I could remember the name)about a doctor in Paris that would desensitize the child's hearing, after one sense is under control, he can learn to deal with the others.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:52 pm

lmao no no they are NOT dumb, my brother can do vector calculus in his sleep.
(which I currently cannot do while using a calculator)
they are often sneaky and clever too... they will try to pull one on you and "play-dumb" about it later. :rolleyes:

Fortunately the only sense problems my brother has is with certain sounds (usually higher pitch).. he absolutely hates them.
other than that he is beginning to act "near normal"... "creepy normal".. but it's getting closer ;)

I want him to become completely independent one day.. He actually got his first Job recently at a local flower store and he is doing well with it.
(and my god does that relieve me) I am also teaching him how to manage and keep track of his money and how to pay bills..
I'm trying to get him in a long term assistance program too.

I think within the next year he will be ready to become "independent" (thank you god...)
Last edited by Zeal on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homeworld'sa

Postby Homeworld'sa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:54 pm

"abana" wrote:I can only imagine how difficult your life is, then.

Life is already difficult, please don't make it too bad :D

One of the first signposts with my grandson was that he wouldn't try and talk, he just didn't seem to realize that the sounds that came from people were meaningful. They started using sign language with him. That broke down the barrier. Then she had to transfer his communication to verbal, by refusing to give him what he wanted unless he verbalized it. That took a lot. Sometimes now she wishes he would shut up.

For those who don't know, Autism is mostly that all of your senses are too acute(is that how you would define it, Zeal?) My daughter has been writing an essay to try and illustrate to "normal" people how it feels. She is going through a typical morning. The earsplitting alarm, blinding light when you open your eyes. the assault by the shower(I have problems with that, I can deal with it by spending very little time actually under the spray, but because of this I need to have a shower head that I can direct away from me, no one could understand why I hated Gym classes in high school, the sowers were too small to get away from the spray).

My case was addressed almost exclusively with punishment if I didn't give in, and that isn't effective. My daughter received some level of real help, but there were still times that we tried to do it with discipline. "You sit there until the eggs are gone" She cannot abide by the taste of yolks. My grandson is getting much better treatment. For him, one of the biggest problems is touch, I would like to buy him clothes, but some fabrics he just can't stand (blanket sleepers are "too soft"), she has to let him try on any clothes.

So many people think that an autistic child is just plain "dumb", but he is constantly overwhelmed by his senses. The colors from oil on a puddle, the rushing water in a sewer...

I read a book once(I wish I could remember the name)about a doctor in Paris that would desensitize the child's hearing, after one sense is under control, he can learn to deal with the others.

I think you are quite right there abana.
There's one teacher I know that seems to think that I'm just a naughty child, with an overprotective mother, that doesn't have Autism. How cruel could someone get? :eek:

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:09 pm

not everybody who cuts you down is an enemy
not everybody who helps you back up is your friend. ;)

abana

Postby abana » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:10 pm

True Zeal, you have just defined "Tough love"
Last edited by abana on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trium

Postby Trium » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:33 pm

Edited out a wierd double-post - a copy of my one from much earlier. Dunno how on earth it got there.
Last edited by Trium on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karter

Postby Karter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:51 pm

His re-appearance???
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

How Rude, ...Some of us just can't help how God made us look.

however....

SPEY!!! start wearing your own clothes and
quit rummaging through my closet, borrowing my shirt and shoes... they just make you look plain silly.

There that should resolve it

:)

Trium

Postby Trium » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:02 am

but I notice, you don't visit this forum much.

But I do - often. I don't post much because I'm only really interested in C4 and those forums are pretty quiet. But as you know from HG I'm not really a chatty poster anyway.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:19 am

I've been meaning to be more active in the C4 section but I am currently running Linux mint.
Even when using Wine, C4 can get only to the title screen before crashing :(

Same story for Cotn....

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Excuse me, before I read the second page, can I just suggest that people say SEVERE autism since autism does not automatically mean that someone is mentally and socially disabled? It's kind of annoying for those who have mild autism spectrum disorders and are high functioning. Thank you.

I'll comment on the rest in a minute.

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:03 pm

"Karter" wrote:His re-appearance???
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

How Rude, ...Some of us just can't help how God made us look.

however....

SPEY!!! start wearing your own clothes and
quit rummaging through my closet, borrowing my shirt and shoes... they just make you look plain silly.

There that should resolve it

:)

Lolwut?

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Spey behave yourself and we'll be good, alright kid?

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:03 am

If you directed that at me, Amun, I already differentiated between "general" autism and higher functioning forms :rolleyes:

It seems doctors diagnose everybody with some form of "mild and higher functioning" autism these days anyways ....

Return to “The Outside World”