Hmm. Playfish's "My Empire" looks pretty familiar, eh?

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Innovan

Hmm. Playfish's "My Empire" looks pretty familiar, eh?

Postby Innovan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:57 am

Has anyone else seen Playfish's "My Empire"?

Has all the buildings of Caesar 3, but the functionality has had a frontal lobotomy so all one has to do is keep clicking, there's no way to do anything wrong or click badly.

Oh, and make sure you have lots of facebook friends you can plead at to click things for you. Because trade is too hard to understand.

http://playfish.wordpress.com/2010/06/01/welcome-to-my-empire/

deano

Postby deano » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:29 am

well what happens if u dont have facebook

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:32 am

"deano" wrote:Well, what happens if u don't have facebook?

What do you think happens?

Nothing.

Innovan

Postby Innovan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Yep, without facebook friends willing to be your neighbor, you get to do pretty much nothing. You can build residences, and decorations. Farm fields? Are a decoration. They don't provide food, they provide... happiness. :rolleyes: But it's pretty common to friend other people because you're playing the game together. Then you can add them as neighbors.

The only source of "rare" materials which are needed to build Wonders? Begging it from neighbors. (You're allowed to send 1 free gift a day to each friend, regardless of how large or small your own economy is. The only way to get Civic Buildings built? Getting enough neighbors to be Sponsors. Beginning Civic Buildings need 3 Sponsors to be built, then 5,7,9,11...

The tax collection mechanic is interesting. You hire a tax collector, and when you do you're basically betting on when you'll be on-line in time to receive it. "Hmm... I think I'll have time over lunch in 4 hours to log back in and collect it. Let's try that." The collection window time is the same as the same as the gathering time, so you'll have a 4 hours to login and collect the money. If you don't... no money. Choosing longer time periods, like 24 hours, pay less per hour of waiting. Because you're not in facebook looking at their banner ads as long.

And yes, there's upgrades you can only buy with real cash. Most are priced around 25 cents to 1 dollar. You put $20 into the game and it should last you several months (I've only done this with Pet Society so far) One can see this as further progress in the "software as a service" model --you're literally paying staff to come up with new stuff that you can buy, after they've already released the game.

They have a person in charge of just pricing items correctly --an important job since this is their main income --selling game items through micro-transactions. Pet Society is probably their most successful title --they have full time artists creating new items every Sunday. A little bit of the back room staff can be seen here: http://petsocietyanonymous.com/
Last edited by Innovan on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:36 pm

OMG, more facebook spam?

I get more than enough from the farmland players & the other ones. Every time I go to it.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:19 pm

You can easily block the applications, you only need to do it once per application. I think the new settings even have a app blocker so you never see and spammed messages, people have to message you directly to ask for help.

I am quite surprised how popular some of the social games are becoming. As a single player and soloist they all drive me crazy.
I do not think it's a good idea to get people begging other people for things to do in a game, my real life social obligations are quite enough thank you very much!

I have a few friends that play Farmville and vRacing and they love it. I checked into the vRacing and just checking it out got me 15 messages of people wanting to help/challenge me.

Crazy man, Crazy! :p
:cool:

Innovan

Postby Innovan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:32 pm

While we may find it weird, remember, facebook pays developers per-click while banner ads are up. So all that semi-forced interaction is how game publishers are getting paid --from advertising revenue from banner ads.

Hint hint, Tilted Mill developers!

As for facebook spam, two easy solutions:

1) Create a facebook account for only games. The accounts are free, after all. Only read the wall when you want.

2) Create a friends list for only games. Or one list for each specific game. Only read the wall a gamelist produces when you want.

"PantherX" wrote:I do not think it's a good idea to get people begging other people for things to do in a game, my real life social obligations are quite enough thank you very much!

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:39 pm

That would probably help, Innovan, but the facebook spam I get is from friends. OMG LOL

..who want me to join the game & don't take no for an answer very well... lol...

Reminds me of chain letters

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:55 am

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Reminds me of chain letters

Interesting comparison.

Return to “The Outside World”