Virii infections and the lapsing of A-V software registration

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Keith

Virii infections and the lapsing of A-V software registration

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:06 am

Both of my registered Anti-Virus programs (McAfee and AVG 9.0) are due for renewal in the next month.

I've been noticing that there seems to be an increasing incidence of trojans slipping through my security dragnet on my computer. You would think that between the two actively runing A-V programs that this wouldn't be the case. The rest of the year passed relatively quietly, but in the last couple of months I have been dealing with a relative onslaught (comparatively speaking) of malicious software detections on my system.

Luckily, I've always been able to detect and remove them. The frequency seems to always seems to be greater near the end of my A-V software subscriptions........coincidence? It sure does seem to be.

I had a number of trojan infections in just the past couple of weeks. AVG managed to deal with them. I had to eventually erase all my old restore points to ensure that the infection was infact gone.

This a.m. I ran into a new AVG warning screen stating that a number of the restore point files were once again infected and had been moved to quarantine, where I deleted them. I ran manual scans with McAfee, Malwarebytes and AVG on the System Information Volume/_restore folder and each came up clean afterwards.

I'm not sure where these infections are coming from. I'm not visiting any exotic websites that I hadn't been to before and I'm not downloading any programs off the web from unknown sources.

Tonight a quick scan with a clunky old AOL anti-spyware program to block some tracking cookies found a keylogger infection that had found it's way onto my system sometime after I removed the restore points this morning. Malwarebytes couldn't find it. It's usually pretty good about finding things McAfee and AVG miss.

I grabbed a copy of SuperAntiSpyware from their website and installed it. This is one of the programs the techs used to cleanup my wife's infected computer a number of months ago.

After a two hour scan, it found a large number of tracking cookies that all my other programs don't seem to remove and one infected uninstall.exe file on my system that had the trojan bug. After removing the items found and a reboot, I ran the clunky old AOL program again (it was the only program that detected the trojan.) I was pleased to see that it came up clean.

So once again all is well with the world.....

I posted this list of useful utilities in another thread on the board but it's kind of buried in a thread that was created for a different problem initially.

That list of files that professional tech support used on my wife's system is as follows:

1. Malwarebytes for a basic scan (malwarebytes.org)
2. Dial-A-Fix that checks a number of system files and registry entries (http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix - has download link)
3. CCLeaner to scan and clean the registry (www.ccleaner.com)
4. SimplySuper Trojan Remover (simplysup.co.uk)
5. SuperAntiSpyware (superantispyware.com)
6. Revo Uninstaller to remove all the tools (both application files and registry entries) (revouninstaller.com)

I personally use Malwarebyte and Revo Uninstaller, and I currently have SuperAntiSpyware isntalled as of tonight for the time being.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:12 am

Eek! Headline: aged Trojan runs amok! (could be a movie... sequel to 300?)

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:42 pm

The timing of these infections make me wonder if they could be some sort of "subscription renewal" tactic by the anti-virus program companies. ;)

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:21 pm

I have been having the same exact problem recently but mannaged to deal with it already.
My computer has been around since 2001-2002, and I have taken good care of it up to this point. Never before have I had so many "viruses", especially all at the same time.
it seems my subscriptions are running out too btw... It is all just a coincidence... :rolleyes:

PS I also don't go to any questionable websites or use/ DL weird programs. My computer has a paranoid layer of protection lol I don't even let any webpage use scripts unless I tell it to.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:20 pm

Same here. I keep a heavy arsenal of A-V software here. The previouos infection I had about a week or so ago managed to infect Windows Defender, so I unstalled that and got it all cleaned up. I didn't put Defender back on my system because it never seems to detect anything.

Some of my hardware is starting to fail, i.e., that DVD record drive that I substituted a new USB record drive for a few months back. Some programs act kind of quirky. Windows Movie Maker runs but usually crashes when I start a project. After reloading the MM seems to work okay, but anything on a menu that is highlighted in blue in that program remains on my monitor even after I exit the program.

Since MM is part of DirectX you have to uninstall DirectX and reinstall it just fix that problem. I had to do just that to fix a problem I had with installing Windows automatic updates. They installed but the ones for DirectX kept reappearing telling me to install them again. Microsoft gave me the instructions on how to get around that, but it happened two more times after that. So far it hasn't happened again and the new installs of DirectX seems to have fixed Movie Maker for the time being.

My system is 7 years as of June. Still runs pretty well when I run games and such but it's getting old.

Return to “The Outside World”