What games are installed on your computer right now?

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Since I got my new computer I've only had Caesar IV, Children of the Nile and World in Conflict installed.

I was feeling like I was in a rut, so today I installed Sid Meier's Railroads. It's an old game from 2004-2006.

I got it cheap to play on my old crippled computer that would only let me use it for about 2 hours a day because of a thermal short it had developed. I must say that Railroads looks nice with all the graphics cranked up to high.

I loved the ancient original Railroad Tycoon, wasn't too impressed with RRT2 and RRT3, etc. Hesitated on getting Railroads for a long time but I'm glad I did. It has some of the feel of the old original RRT.

Laying track, building depots, industry, scheduling train routes, while fending off hostile takeover attempts in the stock market is a nice change of pace.

Edit: I see you can get it via STEAM for about $10.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/7600

I'm running it on Windows 8 through the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter using default PCT settings.

For the price of just a bit more than $5 you can get a copy of SMR from Amazon. At $5 you can't go wrong., but there are only a couple of $5 copies left. The rest of the sellers are profiteering.
Last edited by Keith on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alrope

Postby Alrope » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:59 pm

"Keith" wrote:You've got a good mix.

"Cities in Motion" sounds very much like "Traffic Giant" by the former JoWooD Entertainment now bankrupt and soldoff. I played around with the TG demo for a while years ago, it was fun for a short time but I never got the full game.

Thanks Keith,

I didn't played the Traffic Giant, but I like very much of Jowood's Industry Giant and Transport Giant. I've played a lot of industry, it was an awesome game and I think it would be a incredible addition to GoG folks... The Transport had a very appealing premise to me of transporting freight and passengers between the points to develop industries and cities. But unfortunately it had a bunch of annoying bugs and I've never got to far in it. :D

I love Sid Meier Railroads too, I have it here somewhere... I have The Railroad Tycoons too, but I never got any working since the XP... Another one I liked the premise, but it has a lot of bugs, is Trade Empires. It has an appealing system of developing cities bringing food and goods to them. I can't get it working after the Win 7... but someday I'll start to try it again... ;)

Regards,
Alexandre
Last edited by Alrope on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:22 pm

It may require something like 'DOSBox' to get it running on XP and maybe Win7. I'm not sure, but most of the games from that era seem to require it on later Windows versions. I never tried to run RRT on XP. I figured it was pretty much a "no-go".

"Railroads" was a good substitute for it. It ahs a tendency to crash frequently late in the game. It did it on XP and it's doing it on Win8. So I have to make a point of saving frequently manually. It may be tied to the autosave function, as it seems to occur at that kind of interval in the game.

I picked up the 1.10 patch for it , a couple of the official mods, the holiday scenario and the train livery pack file. Then I found a website devoted to the game with a ton of custom scenarios. I grabbed them all.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 am

Wow, was I having a problem with SMR. It was crashing every 10 seconds late in the game with large maps and four (3 bots and me) players. It got to a point where I could barely lay a section of track right after reloading the game.

I had this same sort of crashing problem with it on XP but not to this degree.

So I did a little googling and read about every one else's problems with "Railroads" and they all had the same tale of woe dating back to 2006.

Luckily I did find one post on the Steam forum about a "hacked" .exe file that fixed the problem. No it wasn't a security hack. It fixed the low memory crash that we all had been experiencing.

Normally, I hate downloading a "fix" from unknown sources and sites. But the replies from people that have tried it caused me to cross my fingers and download the replacement .exe file. I scanned it several times naturally and it didn't turn anything up in the way of malicious code.

So I renamed my original v. 1.1.0 exe file and copied the downloaded "fix" .exe into place.

I fired up the game and loaded the save file that I had been making to get me restarted after every crash and the game didn't crash. Not only that I played scenario at length and didn't have one crash at all. I used to be able to count on at least one crash every 30 mins or so when I played on my old XP system. It was happening about every minute or so on Win8 64-bit.

There are instructions one where to get the file, and how to apply a slight modification to the .exe file for 32-bit systems to allow them to access more system memory and that game was original hard-coded for. 64-bt systems already know how to access more memory so the extra step is not required. All 64-bit owners need is the "fixed" .exe file.

You can read that thread on the STEAM forums here.

If you decide to use the info, use with caution at your own risk.

Alrope

Postby Alrope » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks Keith,

I'll download the file and as soon I find the CD here I'll try it.

Return to “The Outside World”