Finally back online

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Keith

Finally back online

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:37 pm

You may not have noticed at all, but I've been offline for nearly 5 days not by my choosing. My ISP decided to run a "update maintenance" Tuesday night, Dec. 6 after I called it quits for day. I tried to checkin around 10pm that night and couldn't connect. My DSL router showing a red LED for internet connection.

I tried the usual computer restart and turning off the router for 30 seconds. I even tried unplugging the router for a minute. After an hour of that without success I decided to call my ISP tech support. There I found out about the update maintenance and a scheduled outage. So I waited until the outage was scheduled to end at 3pm Weds., Dec. 7. I still could not get in.

Another call to tech support and after resetting the "DSL connector" in the router from the router's setup menu, then trying to reset Winsock as per the tech's instructions and trying to ping several addresses produced no results. At the end of the hour the tech said it was all he could do and would submit a trouble ticket on it after he talked with a repair department. He thought it might be a cut fiber optic line somewhere and then said that the problem should be taken care of by Thursday evening, Dec. 8.

December 8 came and went. Another call to tech support for help and to find out when I'd get my connection back. After another call to the repair dispatcher they said that they couldn't get a crew on it Thursday but it was scheduled for Friday. Friday, Dec. 9 came and went. A call to customer service and the repair department said they'd try to get it Saturday. Saturday, Dec. 10, I called around 1pm my time Saturday, as the day was fast running out, and there was no progress and still no internet.

This time I wasn't quite as understanding. I wasn't rude but I made it clear that I was getting quite pissed off about the delay and run around. Maybe they could get to me on Monday. I told them I wasn't happy and if it wasn't fixed soon I was going to explode all over them on Monday.

Sunday, Dec. 11, the clouds parted.....

I got a unexpected call from a tech from the ISP who was going to come over around 10am. I wasn't expecting a house call, since the problem was thought to be "on the line" somewhere.

He showed up with a replacement router. Turns out after all this time that my old router, which had been fine up until the "maintenance update" Tuesday, was no longer compatible with their system and had to be replaced. I told the guy that I told the first tech I talked to on Weds, that I had a specific model DSL router and he didn't flinch on it. We setup the new router, reprogrammed my wireless devices and I was in business again.

I asked him if they shagged him out of bed on a Sunday to take care of my problem, he said they did and he volunteered to take care of it. After he left my house he was heading to the house across the street that he said had the same sort of problem.

Aaargh!!!!

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:21 pm

I have had similar situations that went on for months. As an avid gamer, a steady connection is vital to me. I got intermittent interrupts for months before they finally fixed the problem. I'd have gone through the roof before Fri. Good for you to be so patient! :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:32 pm

I try to give them a fair chance to fix the problem. I really hate it when they more or less "promise" you something and then they don't deliver on that "promise." That probably ticks me off the most.

The phone calls were being recorded or monitored, which is probably what prompted the early Sunday service call visit.

Jacquou Le

Postby Jacquou Le » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Late but lucky to read this thread.

I have the same on/off problem, but it's been happening a whole year. I'm on Cox Communications. They upraded their network several times in 2010 in my area. Since the beginning of 2011, I've had this "clogging" connections almost every day thru out the year. The modem was supplied 4 years ago when I moved to this place and hasn't changed once. I called them again in March, 2011. They came and changed the whole outdoor cable run from the sub-switch on the pole (in back alley) to my main box on the wall outside the house.

Indoor cables are still in good condition and signal (already checked.) Because the house is just built about 11 years.

They replaced everything, even connectors, splitters, filters..., but not the modem.

I think I have to call them again to get me the newest modem compatible with their newest network uprade.

Thanks for the thread you bring it on, Keith!

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:55 pm

I hope that does the trick for you too. I wonder what this "upgrade" was that caused my old DSL router to become obsolete? If it works for you and you think of it ask them if they know what they did to their system to make your old DSL modem obsolete. I'd be curious to find out.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Don't forget to ask for a credit for the days you could not use internet.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:09 pm

I did that a bit later, when my DSL service got really slow. After complaining often they finally told me there isn't anything they can do at this time because it was due to congestion on the lines. Seems every one in my area is suddenly connected and using DSL for TV, movies, and internet. I was paying for a 7mb/s connection, but only getting 3 or less right before christmas.

So after some complaining and talking with the ISP they cut my monthly rate considerably. They said I'm still a 7mb/s customer, but I have to wonder if the rate I'm paying now is just for a 3mb/s service. I'm going to call them back again in a bit and ask them what speed am I currently paying for just to see if they were lying to me.

Return to “The Outside World”