Old Lords of Magic RP thread

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Blue Ghost

Old Lords of Magic RP thread

Postby Blue Ghost » Thu May 24, 2012 6:05 am

Hello

I am pretty sure a lot of LOMERs are gone, but in case there are any here, I am trying to reach the following users of the old Lords of Magic BBS;

Myriad
Xyanthra
Silas

I have a good portion of the old RP thread that we wrote some thirteen years ago, and am wondering if any of those players would like a copy. Please send me a private message, and a little proof that you are who you say you are :)

Thanks for reading.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri May 25, 2012 2:59 am

I'm still here. Although you likely don't recall who I am. :o

I don't think I've seen any of those three pop in here.

Blue Ghost

Postby Blue Ghost » Fri May 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Azeem, I do recall you, though you came after that group of core players who play tested the original LOM and posted on the official BBS.

Thanks for the reply.

Blue Ghost

Postby Blue Ghost » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am

Azeem, it was around the time after "Everquest" had taken the gaming market by storm.

The old LOM BBS was a hub of activity for die hard fantasy gamers. The game itself was very rich in material and had an excellent score, but the graphics, even for the time, were somewhat dated. I always liked the game because it really propelled you into a far off world with the incredible sound FX and music. The funny voices also helped. A real gem of classic gaming that inspired a lot of writing and other creative endeavors.

Some good memories.

Well, I tried emailing Bhinder, but she's not responding, and all of the other email accounts are long closed. That's too bad. Some good times and very colorful reads on that BBS.

Reed, in case you're reading this, I'm going back into movies. Who knows, I may hit up Tilted Mill or Sierra (if they're still around) for rights to make a feature out of one your guys' games. Not likely, but I can dream :)

BBL.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:22 pm

Reed never went into TM. TM itself seems to be a defunct entity, existing in name only.

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:54 am

"Azeem" wrote:Reed never went into TM. TM itself seems to be a defunct entity, existing in name only.

What is strange is that Nile Online is still online, but there are no longer ads running at the top, it just says "Tilted Mill Entertainment" and a small icon for Hinterlands loot level build thing. Clicking on it just redirects to the TM homepage (did TM lose Google Ads?). No company would leave the servers up without a revenue source.

This leads me to the next questions: how long until all of this will be shutdown? We will ever see a TM production again the future?
Last edited by pcgamer2 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:34 am

That is bizarre, isn't it? Almost as if it just exists in limbo.

Jeff Fiske

Fireball Blast from the past?

Postby Jeff Fiske » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:25 am

LOM has a special place in all our hearts. Don't forget that Chris B and I were heavily involved with LOM.

The Order quest in SE stands out as a great version of the Arthurian legends and was 99.9% Chris's. Really an amazing adventure.

Keith Z was at his finest with that soundtrack (up to that point in time of course), and it was one of Mike Gingerichs favorite games to program.

Mat Williams, Peter Haffenreffer, Mike Malone--- all TM'ers all worked on LOM as well.

I think I remember that BBS. I remember stepping into a chat room several years later and many of the people had never actually played LOM, they were just role play chatting. It was kind of surrealistic when they didn't know what I was talking about when I was talking about the game itself.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:51 am

OMG. Jeff is still here. :eek:

Did you have a Level 10 Enchantress cast Resurrect on you? :D

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:52 pm

YEAH.....maybe TM hasn't fallen off the ends of the earth :D

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:45 pm

:eek:

The Moving Finger writes, and having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line,
Nor all your tears wash out a Word of it.

Blue Ghost

Postby Blue Ghost » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:06 am

"Azeem" wrote:Reed never went into TM. TM itself seems to be a defunct entity, existing in name only.

He actually did. I have a couple of PMs from him.

And Fisker, wow, long time no see.

I liked LOM because of the infinite replay value. The opening of the Order theme was just so story bookish that it really invited you in to play. When you hear those first few notes of the guitar followed by the very ethereal notes, it's like you walked into a fairy tale or fantasy adventure; the kind that has a slow buildup to a bigger crescendo later on. That's part of what hooked me into LOM.

The other aspect was the vastness of the world of Urak. For the time it was pretty cutting edge. My only critique of the game (if you could call it that) was that the graphics might have benefitted from 3D accelerated terrain, much like the Myth series had at the time.

I think the other aspect of the game was that it didn't take itself too seriously. You had "serious" quests and adventures, but the levity of the voices kind of helped ground the player from getting too involved in the world the game presented. It also had an empire building aspect, as well as a tactical and strategic component on top of the adventure portion. I think that was a real clever game design, and from that I always thought a film could be made.

I remember when Lords3 came out I was incredibly impressed with the tactical maps in battle-mode, and thought that that was how a LOM sequel might have looked. Something really rocking with clouds, trees, rocks, different types of water terrain and the like. But LOM, in spite of its strong dedicated following (which was commented on more than once in PCGamer way back when), is still a niche audience.

LOM was a wonderful game, and I really enjoyed the company at the old 8-Faiths Inn. A very large number of creative minds there.

Most of the gaming I do these days are FPS war sims. I really don't like them. But these days I'm fairly broke, and have little in the way of money to go out, so I fire up old games.

Good to see you again Fisker. I had some fun times running around with you, Reed and the gang in Everquest and exchanging posts on the 8Faiths BBS.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Ah, that's right. Reed was here. For some reason, I was thinking of Itchy even though you said Reed. Itchy definitely went to another company right after Impressions Games folded.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:05 am

Wow, Chris and Jeff replied in the same thread.

Just checking in, waiting for some news...

:cool:
:cool:

Xyanthra

Postby Xyanthra » Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 pm

Hmmm... every once in awhile, I google search 'Xyanthra' just to see what pops up. It's great to see that some people from way back still live somewhere on the internet! I wish I was old enough back then to truly appreciate what the Inn was (I was only 11 or so when I started posting there!), because it was quite special.

Anyway, I know this may be months too late, but I'd love to see that RP you have saved. I am curious to see what I wrote when I was 13/14... I bet it is quite amusing :)

Blue Ghost

Postby Blue Ghost » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Hey Xyanthra

The old LOM BBS was pretty ecclectic. A good mix of young and old and very talented creative writers, and just good gamers as a whole.

I'm an old guy now, but still game.

Good to hear from you :)

Return to “The Outside World”