Tropico 3 & 4

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Marius

Tropico 3 & 4

Postby Marius » Wed May 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Note: not a Kalypso employee but just reflecting on the game.

I've always been a huge fan of the Tropico Series and was especially addicted to Tropico 2 Pirate's Cove. Just loved the graveyard and zombie porters amongst many other risque themes to the game.

Well, eventually moved on to other things and let Tropico fade away especially as GOD and frogcity ceased to exist but I caved and picked up Tropico 3 last year and it's expansion pack a bit more recently. Fun updated version of the original Tropico. Different engine and dynamics but still nice. Have done a lot of pleasant sandbox games but tend to turn off the music and play the 3 soundtracks from original games instead of the current stuff.

Recently I took Tropico 4 with the "Modern Times" expansion for a test drive. So far I haven't even used any of the modern times items and for a major change I am plugging through the missions instead of my sandbox empires. I eventually did that on T1 and T2 but for some reason it is really working for me this time. Mind you I am running the full campaign as Fidel instead of tailoring the dictator to the task.

I do not have the DLC components they want to sell as extra cost items online even though they seem fun in principle. I worry they would make the game too easy.

Anyway ... I'm a little worried the "Modern Times" timeline will sincity-ize the game but it looks like fun when I get to it. Anyone else enjoying the reborn Tropico?

Now if they would just go back to Pirate's Cove for the next release...
Last edited by Marius on Wed May 30, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nighteyes

Postby Nighteyes » Thu May 31, 2012 12:43 am

"Marius" wrote:Now if they would just go back to Pirate's Cove for the next release...

Here Here!
I would love to see a Pirate Cove reboot, by far the better time period I reckon.

I haven't played the other gameds, save for a demo of T3 a few years ago, I didn't really find it that enjoyable, maybe I'll try it again if I find it going super cheap, or on GOG, but the time period really doesn't attract me to it at all.

How similar in game play do you find they are Marius?
Last edited by Nighteyes on Thu May 31, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu May 31, 2012 1:22 pm

I like Tropico 3 and 4. In some ways, 4 seems like what 3 should have been and lacks the sarcastic charm that 3 had with its dueling ambient radio broadcasts, but 4 has a lot of interesting functions that make it feel like you're running a country.

Can't stand Tropico 2; thought that was the worst one ever.

Marius

Postby Marius » Thu May 31, 2012 11:20 pm

Gameplay is similar enough to get off to a quick start except you now right click to pop up a multi selection menu and the old versions you had to left click interface buttons. Zoom and pan are fully mouse driven now but sadly do not let you zoom out far/high enough IMO.

Lots more to do especially with micromanagement of your island dwellers. The buildings are more practical to make a profit with and goods flow better from source (farm/mine) to industry to dock.

You now may import goods as well so you can import gold and export jewelery for example even if you have no gold deposit.

The Modern Times expansion promises (and from youtube reviews delivers) different buildings for different decades. Your early apartments will look different from later ones and new building types will open up as time flows on. (I haven't done this yet and am waiting until I finish base campaign.) There is also an expensive Subway system that looks interesting.

Market ladies are back (Ok markets/ food tents/ chuck tents/ whatever) and they work very well for a change. Garages are all purpose transport and can get quite clogged if you are not careful. Your road grid is very important with larger populations, This time you can have multiple shipping ports but it does lead to wierdness if you are importing anything as it may arrive across the island from where you want it.

Missions and tasks are fun and appropriately rewarded with cash or favour from factions. Some also give a penalty at completion. There is much more dealing with the world at large as EU, China and Middle East are now present on the world stage but still less influential than USA, USSR. Some truly libelous caricatures of world figures living and dead ... well, mostly dead.

Azeem is right about T4 being a step above T3 but there is tons of sarcasm in the dialogue of the missions. The radio war is a teensy bit subdued compared to T3 and Penultimo is a twerp and bootlick compared to our old adviser Juanito.

Of course Azeem is dead wrong about Tropico 2 Pirates Cove and must be drunk on the rum served by the priest to even make such a scandalous claim. :eek:

All in all, I'm having a blast with this one and really hope for something another step up for next time. I believe the Gold edition comes out in September - November range for those who want to wait for the all in one package. Otherwise look for the sales on Amazon or Steam or wherever you acquire games. Please note from Kalypso's forums that you pretty much have to get all steam versions or all box versions (with DLC's from Kalypso) or all Gamefly ... you get the idea ...

Do check the hardware stats for this game as it simply won't fly on older machines. I'm doing great on my laptop but given its an ASUS G73J ... not your average laptop. Quadcore i7, 8 gig ram, twin 500 gig hard drives and an ATI HD 5870 GPU with another gig of ram of its own.

Must go ... time to feed the munchkins a snack.

Pharaoh Pepy

Postby Pharaoh Pepy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:38 am

Modern Times deprives you of the old buildings later in the game, some of which fit far easier in awkward places. Mines and farms are examples of that. Overall, I like it. Perhaps too easy, and Modern Times makes it easier still, as the skyscraper workers don't need education, and they make plenty of money for the dictator.

Marius

Postby Marius » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Steam has Tropico 4, Modern Times and all 5 DLC's for sale this weekend. All together would come in at $23.68 USD.

Alternatively you can pay Amazon $29.99 USD for Tropico 4 Gold Boxed edition which does NOT include any of the DLC's.

Amazon downloaded versions are price matching Steam so you can go that route as well.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:29 am

Tropico 4 is really fun. Just bought all the DLC's on steam.

How do you guys handle farms? Plonk some down next to each other or space them out?

Return to “The Outside World”