New SimCity

Off-topic discussions about everything else
PantherX

New SimCity

Postby PantherX » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:41 pm

Hey everyone EA announced a new SimCity.

Direct from E3

http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/ea-e3/

Looks pretty cool and I'm happy to see it's a real builder not a zoning sim.

If this is not TM's current project then at least it is influenced highly by SCS.

I know I'm looking forward to it.

:cool:

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:30 am

Yep. It's been in the works for some time, it seems.

I actually like the look of the new SimCity despite objections about how unrealistic it looks.

Jacquou Le

Postby Jacquou Le » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:21 am

It's been a long time I haven't visited the forum. But I still keep looking for city-building games since last CotN.

Beside the new SimCity (released next March, 2013), there's an alternative game called SimCity Social on Facebook. It's good and multiplaying. It needs a lot of players connected togather to play the game. Playing solo is possible, but very hard to complet in-game tasks.

I've just found that SCS out about a month and gotten hooked to it. Actually, playing everyday :eek:

Jeff Fiske

SC5 vs. SCS

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:45 pm

SCS evolved into a pretty cool game by the time all was said and done. I assume you are playing with the patch?

Interesting to see them talking about the new SimCity game in many ways like Societies never came out.

I shouldn't say anything more, so I will leave it at that. Glad you are having fun with Societies.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:17 pm

I just went and looked at the current videos. It really does look a lot like SC:Societies with beefed up graphics.

I'm not sure I like the zoning aspects but perhaps that will be offset by the customization of the other buildings and the multi-city aspects looks interesting.

Just a little over 3 months away.

I wonder when we will get Medieval Mayor?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:51 pm

"Jeff Fiske" wrote:SCS evolved into a pretty cool game by the time all was said and done. I assume you are playing with the patch?

Interesting to see them talking about the new SimCity game in many ways like Societies never came out.

I shouldn't say anything more, so I will leave it at that. Glad you are having fun with Societies.

I'm still hooked on Societies myself. Would have been nice if some of the bugs from Destinations got resolved, but it's still fun regardless. :)

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:22 pm

"PantherX" wrote:I just went and looked at the current videos. It really does look a lot like SC:Societies with beefed up graphics.

I'm not sure I like the zoning aspects but perhaps that will be offset by the customization of the other buildings and the multi-city aspects looks interesting.

Just a little over 3 months away.

From what I've read you need to be always online in order to play, even in single player mode. If you lose your connection then you could lose any progress in your game. For this fact alone I will be taking a pass on this one.

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:58 pm

"Rnett" wrote:From what I've read you need to be always online in order to play, even in single player mode. If you lose your connection then you could lose any progress in your game. For this fact alone I will be taking a pass on this one.

I know EA has said that, but sometimes they test the water and change their opinion once they get sales figures in. Sort of a wait and see.

I will admit, it really is weak when you are playing Black Ops Zombies- solo, and you get disconnected from steam. That is not a piracy as much as a content issue but it is still really lame.

tobing

Postby tobing » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:13 am

"Rnett" wrote:From what I've read you need to be always online in order to play, even in single player mode. If you lose your connection then you could lose any progress in your game. For this fact alone I will be taking a pass on this one.

As I understood, the idea is to have even the single players be influenced by some online-component, giving you some sort of neighborhood. Plus, they want to put some of the computations on the server - much like cloud computing / gaming...

They always claim it's for the good of the game experience, but there's also always the point of DRM, binding licenses to players, and making second sales impossible. Then consider what happens when the servers are shut down, like EA is doing regularly every now and then, for some older games.

It also excludes all players who cannot be always online or don't want to be always online. I hate it.

PantherX

I got a beta invite

Postby PantherX » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:58 am

My Beta invite just got here and I just finished the tutorial.

It looks like some kids game and the graphics seem a bit fuzzy. The options do not let me change resolutions although it you will be able to in the final version (presumably) I played with the graphic settings a bit but could not make the fuzzies go away.

It's about what you would expect from a zoning sim although you do get to place some specific buildings and building upgrades.

I will spend some time tomorrow so I will let you all know more then. You only get 60 min per session from the demo so I presume I will need to do a few sessions.

aeval99

Postby aeval99 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:29 pm

This should scratch my city-building itch until MM is ready. I played the beta the other night and it got me playing Societies again (finally bought Destinations). Didn't have enough time with it to form a solid opinion but I'll definitely be checking it out.

Anyone else? Tilted Mill region, perhaps?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:58 pm

I like the look of the graphics from what few screenshots have been released. It gives a sense of character. Cities XL has fabulously realistic building graphics, but it's also one of the most static and sterile city building games with hardly any personality.

One of the things that would probably put me off from SimCity 5, would be the requirement of being online, which would be pretty lame. Even if the SimCity server is maintained, there's no guarantee - especially considering that this is EA - that support would be consistent. And once EA abandons a game (as they often do), you'd pretty much have wasted your money for nothing.

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:39 am

Against my better judgement and wallet...went ahead and indulged like a little kid and a chocolate bar...even ordered with nuts and raisons inside (French city set). Will see how it goes but I'm pretty excited considering I've been starving for a city builder for far too long. The severs are back up too apparently, and they are throwing a bone for our early-adopter troubles http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble

"Azeem" wrote:I like the look of the graphics from what few screenshots have been released. It gives a sense of character. Cities XL has fabulously realistic building graphics, but it's also one of the most static and sterile city building games with hardly any personality.

I agree, and in a way, basing of the screenshots, it reminds me of my beloved SCS. Makes me hope (along with aspects concerning the gameplay I have read) that rather then leaving SCS aside on the dirt road , EA is embracing things they've learned along the way with SCS, and incorporating them into the mélange that created Simcity 2013 (which could be, in effect, successor to both SC4 AND SCS)
Last edited by pcgamer2 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Got it yesterday for my birthday and a little kids free time on top, so I played for a few hours.
I think it has a few fine features, like raising different citys in the same region and trading with yourself (or other players you can invite), which is something I'd like to see in MM, too ;) The possibilities for making curved streets are neat, too.
What I don't like is obviously the online connection. I started playing on a west european server, which crashed afer a few hours, so I switched to an east european and had to start from scratch with a new region. :rolleyes: despite the help lines you are shown while placing roads it is also pretty difficult to lay out roads without a grid so that you get good sized lots; parks don't follow the standard sizes, the upgradeable buildings stretch in odd directions so they take up more space than they should. Sadly the city maps are rather small, since the idea is to specialize each one and combine their efforts in the region. But that leaves you with a city once the space is used up to watch the buildings upgrade and collect money to upgrade the facilities accordingly, which gets rather boring after a while. You have no greater goal then, aside from completing region projects, which on the other hand need so vast amounts of time to research and stuff to collect that waiting for it also feels like "nothing to do". I guess playing with other players would make it more interesting, but I'm not a fan of that.
So yeah, it's a nice city builder with great ideas (public transportation f.e.), but it lacks something that hooks you and keeps you busy after a certain point.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 pm

I'm still torn. Few friends bought it and like the gameplay, despite obvious problems with the always-online DRM.

I initially didn't give much though about that for Diablo III but occasionally I still can't play it properly due to lag and crashes and that's just not acceptable for what is also a single player game. Given that the same goes for SimCity and considering that always-online DRM will not be dropped until sales figures drop, I'm still not buying. Then gain I'm quite tempted to play it...

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:45 am

I'm going to pass on this one unless they allow for it to be a real single-player game. It's a ridiculous idea and it makes one wonder why anyone would consider forcing such a requirement even as "social gaming" seems to be entering a decline.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Here is a two day old review. I hear they finally have enough servers to take care of the number of players trying to connect. I'm not too keen on "always online." There are just too many kooks out there who might breach my firewall if I gave them a lot of time to do so.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/simcity-shows-the-dark-side-of-online-gaming-6405058/ There are some lessons here for any gamer/dev. Hope it all works out.

eobet

Postby eobet » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:36 am

It's all falling apart though:

I'm fine with it. I haven't bought an EA game since they massacred Spore.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:23 pm

This really is one of those occassions where I don't know whether to cry or laugh...

What game to get next... Perhaps I'll continue playing Path of Exile for now.

mad_genius

Postby mad_genius » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm

"EmperorJay" wrote:This really is one of those occassions where I don't know whether to cry or laugh...

Indeed.
EA is getting really effective at killing great games. Let's hope this is not the permanent death of the Simcity franchise.
I just wished there was a way for Maxis to buy itself off of EA and be a free developer again. The Glassbox engine has an enormous potential that is just beeing wasted.

"EmperorJay" wrote:What game to get next...

How about Medieval Mayor? :D :D :D

Return to “The Outside World”