Steam so sucks

Off-topic discussions about everything else
CatMajik

Steam so sucks

Postby CatMajik » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:12 pm

About 18 months ago I downloaded CotN/Alexander from Steam (I also have the original box version - with all the wonderful mods you guys create), I played the download so I could play Alex, now I have tried to get back into the downloaded game and can't. I seem to have forgotten my login/psswd, I have contacted Steam support, but they have one terrible website. I am still waiting for a reply from them. :( :(

When on Steam I created a new login/psswd so I could download Faerie Solitaire, that of couse wouldn't play. :(

Anyway, I truley hate using Steam and hope TM will put Medieval Manor on disc.

Any suggestions on how to otherwise retreive my lost login/psswd and CotN/Alex

Ok, I fell a bit better getting that off my chest

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:08 pm

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep after Steam. Sometimes if you go through unconventional means you get attention, i.e., instead of just relying on the typical support or "contact us" links try using any other link they may provide with an explanation that no one is responding to the usual support channels to help you. I haven't paid attention, but if they have a webmaster link you might try sending a message to him/her. If lucky, the message may get manual handling and forwarded to the proper person where it might get more attention.

I originally used Steam years before when it was brand new. It was terrible then and didn't work well. I didn't like it. Then TM started coming out with Steam content and I had no choice but to try my old Steam account and see if it was still active after 3-4 years of inactivity. I was surprised to see that I got right in and I've not had problems with Steam so far to this date.

I'd like the game on disc too, but I fear that the days for hard copies discs are going the way of the printed manual and digital copies are the future. It is just so much cheaper for them to distribute the game electronically, especially since they are probably footing the bill themselves so far without a publisher.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Thank you for your very prompt reply. It is very unfortunate that the days of printed manuals and discs are gone and we have to rely on downloads that often do not measure up to the actual disc game. :mad:

I will badger Steam :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Someone at Steam has to be "manning the controls" and will see your request for help.

Did you see these pages?
https://twitter.com/Steam_Support

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4988-DHXV-727

http://www.valvesoftware.com/contact/ <--unconventional means of contact---they may forward it, but don't count on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy4pVQWHu4s

The state of technical support is truly sad in most areas these days. If you aren't connected to a automated answering machine system on the phone, you end up talking to some call center located in Mumbai, India unable to understand what the person on the other end is trying to say.

I have been in both of these personal hells myself in past years.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:24 pm

WOW, they do seriously do suck!!!!

One big reson not to have to download games, discs are the way to go!!!!

When TM put out Alex was there another site one could get the game?

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:21 pm

There is Direct2Drive, but they don't have it. Their support isn't any better than Steam. Gog doesn't have it either.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:17 am

"CatMajik" wrote:WOW, they do seriously do suck!!!!

One big reson not to have to download games, discs are the way to go!!!!

When TM put out Alex was there another site one could get the game?

Gamersgate http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-COTNEEA/children-of-the-nile-enhanced-edition-and-alexandria-bundle

I prefer steam though. You shouldn't really go about forgetting passwords.

I far prefer downloading games. Discs are dying unless you play on console I guess.

Marius

Postby Marius » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:52 am

On this topic, I am also less that pleased with Steam.

One would hope digital download direct from Tilted Mill (Ideal) or somewhere less annoying than Steam anyway. GOG is also a lovely option. Boxed Options are still nice as well but the old model of spinning your cd/dvd forever is annoying.

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:24 pm

There was a report by CNN some time ago that has stated that companies tend to be a little more attentive to their customers who take their complaints to Facebook or Twitter, where all eyes of the public are watching. You could try it for yourself https://www.facebook.com/Steam?ref=ts&fref=ts https://twitter.com/Steam_Support

OhhJim

Postby OhhJim » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:23 am

I understand your frustration; I have had some less than enjoyable moments with Steam support. However, right now, I love them. They always responded to my (less than nice) emails, and since I told them I shouldn't have to enter my birthdate Every Single Time I wanted to check out a game, (since they already have my birthdate) I never have to enter the date, anymore. Maybe it was me they listened to, maybe not, but things got done.

But where I love them most is that I don't have to find my discs to play a game. I don't have to keep my discs scratch-free. I don't have to swap discs when I re-install after buying a new computer or installing Windows 8. I lost access to several older games recently, because of a new computer and scratched discs, so I bought them on Steam for $10.

I can play demos of games almost instantly, to see if I like new games. I can play the same games on my laptop, and don't have to worry about discs. I don't have to d/l patches.

I hope your experience improves.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for all the info re: Steam, I have no problem using discs and always keep them protected. I will always prefer to pay more and have the physical game.

I never did like the business of downloading games and that will not change after this issue w/ Steam. They are a rip-off with terrible support!!! :(

Pharaoh Pepy

Postby Pharaoh Pepy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:35 am

My Steam download of Children of the Nile has worked fine. Steam can be annoying at times. Games can be unavailable, games I own, for no good reason. Still, that is rare.

Return to “The Outside World”