Restore those wandering Desktop icons to their place

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Keith

Restore those wandering Desktop icons to their place

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:16 am

My computer has developed "wanderlust". My Desktop icons keep changing location every time I restart or refresh the desktop screen. Auto Arrange is OFF. Even if I use Lock Web Items on Desktop, they still move.

So I did a little searching and found a small shell extenstion app called Desktop Restore.

Once installed, you first set your desktop icons up the way you want it to be.

You then right click on the desktop and choose "Save the Desktop."

Then if icons move, simple right click on the desktop and click the new "Restore Desktop" option and the icons jump right back.

It's says it works successfully with Windows 98 through Windows 7.

I installed it on my XP and it works.

I did see a method on Tom's Hardware forum for Widows 7 users. It required editing the Group Policies. You can find the steps for doing that there. That supposed to lock the icons so they can't move.

I did a little poking around on my XP and found what might be a similiar method. Start > Run > type: gpedit.msc and click OK.

On the Group Policy menu, choos User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Desktop > Active Desktop. In the right half of the menu are the related command options. Click on one to read an explanation of what they do. Some may require activing the Active Desktop option as well.

I will admit I did not do more than just examine the Group Policy menu items and I did not try changing any of the settings. So be forewarned you are on your own if you decide to try it.

Return to “The Outside World”