Saving a file from a link in Win 8 and IE10.

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Keith

Saving a file from a link in Win 8 and IE10.

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:14 pm

I just got my new Win 8 based PC and IE10 and have a stupid simple question. This is just my 1st day with Win 8. Please, don' tell me to get Chrome, Firefox, etc. Not gonna happen.

How does one make a download link work on a web page?

I'm trying to grab a media player, but the download won't start when I click on it. I don't get the usual popup asking for the save location and filename like I used to get in XP.

I tried right-click "Save Target As" but that does nothing.

I checked Nortons and I don't see anything there that would block the download from at least starting.
Last edited by Keith on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Check your security level to see if it's using a block. If it's high enough you will not get a popup blocked message.

Possibly need to re-open your browser because it's freezing or is generating an error?

I do not know otherwise.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:36 pm

It wasn't giving an error message or freezing, in fact, it did absolutely nothing at all when I clicked on the link.

Security levels were fine, A-V settings were normal, no "blocked" reports or logs.

However, the problem was resolved in the end. Despite this being essentially a two-day old machine, some of the Windows files must have been missing or corrupted.

This is a new HP Envy Phoenix machine and it has a Windows RESET utility stored on the hard drive, as I discovered in my phone conversation with the tech support rep. By running that special function it restores the computer to factory settings, which took about 15 mins.

That fixed the problem. I was able to download the VLC media player normally without a problem.

I then had to redownload and installed all 26 Windows Updates for Win 8 and an update for Norton's before going any further. That only took about 15 mins to carry out.

So I've got my new super-system, with new speakers and new printer. Now all I have to do is figure out Windows 8. That's another story... :/'

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:31 pm

I have heard it is quite nice. I am staying with 7 as I have heard that 8 is not that big a change. I could be wrong.... I sure like 7 over XP or any of the others for ease of use.

Wow, that stinks about the system being corrupted. You'd think they would boot it up to check first. :) Hooray for bigger, faster, better!

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:40 pm

I usually use firefox so maybe my answer is wrong, but have you tried to start IE10 not from the start menu as an app but from the desktop? From the desktop you should get the traditional command panel.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:33 am

Since I have a problem with my knees and can't get down on them under the desk, etc. I paid HP to have home installation. He did a pretty good job, overall. It took him just over 4 hours, because there was some connectivity issue between the router and the computer. As it turned out it was in the router's security setup.

When I had a problem with getting the speed I was paying for on my DSL service, I was calling them practically every day for months (November to February) and they finally sent out a guy on a Sunday. He brought a new router and configured it. When he did that he it up for WEP encryption WPA2-AEK instead of just WPA as I recall.

The new computer couldn't connect to the LAN network because it kept rejecting the alphanumeric password I have for the router. To make the story short, changing the setting back to WPA cured that problem.

It also fixed my problem with new web-enabled HP printer. It has "apps" that connect to web server via the Cloud. It would connect but then after minute it would drop the connection and fail to reconnect unless the printer was powered down and back on again. HP support was stumped. They sent out a new printer, thinking my new original printer had a defect in the wireless card. The new replacement printer did the same thing. HP pretty much gave up at that point and offered to take one of them back, let me keep the other or have me get a RMA and return that one too.

The printer still printed, faxed, and scanned so I decided to keep it and just forgo the web apps, which were just bells and whistles that I didn't even no it had when I bought it.

Once the guy fixed the security setting by changing it back to WPA the printer connected and remained connected throughout the night and all day today.

I also learned from HP support today, that there are actually two versions of IE10 on the machine.

When you power up Win 8 you get that fancy START screen you see in all the ads. one of the tiles is for Internet Explorer. It turns out if you use that one you won't be able to download files, etc. through it. It's setup for just browsing.

You have to get to the "desktop" screen and launch the IE10 there to get the full function. However, I was doing that already when I had the problem. So the only way we got it working was by running the "windows reset" function I mentioned.

For some reason Microsoft decided to hide the Internet Temporary Files folder and the files in it. I use it to grab copies of videos and other streamed files to my old XP systems so I could keep copies of them. Until I find out where they are in Win 8 I can't do that for the time being.

So it's been a learning experience today, my first full day running Window 8 and IE10.

The new machine is really nice. I went topline all the way in picking hardware for it. I want it to last a good 8-10 years like my previous systems have. I'd still be using my Dell XPS Win XP system if I could get a new proprietary power supply for the one giving me trouble. I went more than a year without my own functioning computer and sharing my wife's for browsing.

I had a large number of video files on her machine that I had been slowly moving over to my crippled machine during the 2 hours a day that it would run. But today I found a Microsoft program called Windows Easy Transfer and installed it on my new machine and her's then transferred all my videos through my router connection.

It also lets you select two other methods for transfer, CAT5 crossover cable method and external flash or external hard drive method. A crossover cable plugs directly into both machines' LAN Ethernet ports. The wiring is reversed on one end of the cable so the files can be transferred between machine using a share function.

Windows Easy Transfer worked like a charm, and it's a free MS download. It transferred 12GB of files through the router in just a couple of hours.

I had purchased a CAT5 crossover cable, but now I won't need it. I still have to transfer files from my own old crippled PC to the new system too, so that program is going to be handy.
Last edited by Keith on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Hey Keith, congrats on finally getting a new machine!

You should really get a better internet security program, Norton is not the excellent program it used to be. NOD32 is good and catches more malware than Norton. I believe they are similarly priced but even for free I wouldn't run Norton or McAfee. I believe Win8 has Security essentials (or similar) by default. Every software engineer I have talked to says that it is the best for the average user that is not going to risky sites.

But then as security goes, if you stay away from the risky sites you will never encounter a virus or malware site. The best protection as you know is to never click any link that you do not know where it goes unless your on a known good secure site.

ESAT Nod 32

How are you liking Windows 8 so far? The test drive drove me crazy.

What Virtual Machine program are you going to use? Are there any good ones out there for sandboxing?
:cool:

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:31 pm

In the mean time since I last posted that I found out about two Window key shortcuts to Window functions that are kind of "disguised" by the new Win 8 layout.

Windows + I gets you to the Settings menu where you can power down, put the system in sleep mode, or restart, go to the control panel, personalize your system, get system info, help, notifications, and information about your personal WiFi network.

Windows + R brings up the old RUN box that you see on the XP START > Run function.

I also managed to figure out a way to find the downloaded streamed video files that are now hidden by Windows 8. In XP it was easy to find them, because they were all located in the main Internet Temporary Files folder.

Windows 8 doesn't do that. Instead it places all files from your online sessions inside hidden folders inside another hidden folder called Content.IE5 in your Temporary Internet Files folder.

If you right click in the Content.IE5 folder and check it's properties you see it is marked "hidden" by alittle grayed out checkbox. In XP you could just uncheck that and the folder would be visible. I haven't found a way to change the setting in Win 8 yet.

In XP you could set the folder option to "display hidden files and folders". There is no such option on the Win 8 folder options.

The method I worked out requires more steps and more time consuming but it does work.

Open Windows Explorer and in the right column under "Computer" find the OS (C: \) option and click on it.

Now navigate to the Temporary Internet Files folder in Windows Explorer at:

C:\Users\(user name here)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Low\Temporary Internet Files

Then I add "\content.ie5" (without quotes) to the end of that line by typing it in manually.

Or you can bring up the command box (WINDOWS + R) and paste the following into the RUN box:

C:\Users\(user name here)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Low\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Be sure you change the "(user name here)" part of the line to the account name that you use on your Win 8 computer. "AppData" is a hidden folder and won['t show up on the list of subfolders in the user account folder if you use Windows Explorer. Typing it in manually will put you in the AppData folder.

Click OK after pasting in the line above (with your account name entered).

That puts me in the content.ie5 folder in Windows Explorer. It will probably appear empty, but it probably is not. There are more than likely hidden sub-folders in that folder that contain all the images, html pages, javascripts, etc. from all the websites you have recently visited.

Note if you have the Internet Options set to clean out the Temporary Internet Files folder whenever the browser is closed you will want to uncheck that option in the Internet Options of Tools menu of Windows Explorer. Otherwise if you close the browser all the things you want to retrieve will be erased.

Now from Win 8 just press the Windows (key) + R to bring up the RUN box. in that box type: CMD

Click OK.

This opens the black and white "DOS box" ( I know windows doesn't use DOS anymore but that's pretty much the way it used to look on Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 so that's what I call it.)

In that box you'll see a "C:\" followed by several folder names and subfolder names separated by a "\".

In the black box type: cd C:\

This puts you in the main or root directory or folder of your C: hard drive, the drive where Windows is stored.

You should see a new path with just "C:\" (without quotes).

Copy this line into clipboard memory:

C:\Users\(user name here)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Low\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

In the spot right behind the C:\ and type "cd" (without quotes) followed by a space and then after the space right click on the spot and select PASTE to paste the above line into the black box. Or you can type it in manually.

The complete line should look like this:

C:\cd

Press ENTER.

The computer should now be n the Content.IE5 folder. The prompt line should look something like this:

c:\>

Not type the following line to display the hidden folder names in the Content. IE5 folder.

dir /ah *

Type it just as I have.

This tells "DOS" to display folder "*" with the attribute "/a" that are hidden "h".

If you get a list the scrolls out of the box, you can add a /p to that line and that will pause when the it fills the screen and hitting a key will scroll the nex screenful. dir /ah /p *

You should now see a list of alphanumeric folder names that looks something like this:

Code: Select all

01/21/2013 09:01 PM   <DIR>               -
01/21/2013 09:01 PM   <DIR>              ISA7K04U
01/21/2013 09:01 PM   <DIR>              ACITMV6Z
...etc.

Write down the folder names. Or print them out to a file by using this:

dir /ah * > c:\foldernames.txt

This sends the screen output to a file called "foldernames.txt" in the main/root folder of your hard drive "C:\". Then all you have to do is use Windows Explorer to navigate to the C:\ folder and open the foldername.txt file to see the list of foldernames. From there you can use whatever text editor you want to printout the list on to paper.

Or you can just leave the "DOS" box open with the list of foldernames displayed and move back and forth between the "DOS" window and Windows Explorer.

All you need is the folder filenames that currently exist in the Content.IE5 folder. So either method will do.

Now back in Windows Explorer where you should be in the Content.IE5 folder already if you did that step. If not go back and do that step now.

You should see a list of all the folders in the path leading down the Content.ie5 folder. Each one is separated by a ">" symbol.

Now to the right of the "Content.ie5" on the URL line cick once The line will change to:

C:\Users\(user name here\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Low\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

It will also be highlighted in blue. Click once behind the last entry in the URL to remove the highlight.

Now with the cursor blinking right behind the "5" in Content.ie5 add the name of one of those hidden folders you wrote down or printed out following (without the quotes) by first adding a slash "\" then the foldername.

Using my example above the line on the Windows Explorer URL line will look something like this:

C:\Users\(user name here)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Low\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ISA7K04U

Click Refresh or just press ENTER after adding the hidden folder name.

You should now see the contents of that hidden folder in Windows Explorer. You can sort and arrange the files they way you want to make it easier to find the file you might be seeking.

If you don't find the file you want just change the the last entry with the name of the hidden file on Windows Explorer URL line to the next hidden folder on the list. Click refresh or press ENTER when done typing in the name.

You can COPY or CUT and PASTE the files into another folder like DOWNLOADS or wherever you choose in Windows Explorer. I recommend you open a second Windows Explorer window to do the pasting of the file or you'll have to re-enter the path to the hidden folder in the Windows Explorer URL line all over again.

Using this method I was able to grab a couple of streamed videos on a site I frequent and stored copies of them in another folder on my hard drive so I can watch them whenever I want. Note the files are MP4 or FLV formats and not some proprietary format like YouTube uses that requires a converter to turn them into something normal that a player like Windows Media Player or VLC Player can play.

If you want to convert YouTube videos go to http://keepvid.com and enter the YouTube URL of the video itself in the empty box near the top of the page. DO NOT CLICK on the green or blue download or watch buttons. Those are ads.

Click on the black/dark gray button with DOWNLOAD in white letters. Then down below the big green and blue buttons select the format you want to store the video in on your hard drive.

The site will download the video and converted it into your selected format and store it in the designated folder on your hard drive.
Last edited by Keith on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:28 pm

It sure sounds like a LOT of work to me. I dream of XP.. and struggle with win 7. Can't find anything like before. rofl.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:58 pm

It actually takes more time to explain than to do. And, the more often you do it the easier it gets. I took that information from y first attempts at locating and moving the files and have found that I can do it fairly quickly now.

I usually delete files in my browser cache before I attempt to grab something from the web. That keeps the number of files I have to look through to a minimum.

After the file has been safely transferred to the hidden folder in the content.ie5 folder, I open the folders one at a time and then click the SIZE column heading and sort the files by size in decending order so the largest files are on top. This usually puts the video file I just watched at the top. If I don't see it in the folder I have open, I refresh the view and if I still don't see it I open one of the other hidden folders and sort by size again until I find it.

It is more labor intensive than good old XP, but if you really want that file and have Win 8 this will help you get it. I suspect the method for Win 7 might be similar. I haven't tried locating a file like this on that OS yet.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:06 pm

I found a way to omit a few steps and view the hidden folders in the \Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5" folder. This eliminates the need to open the CMD window and do that cut & pasting to Notepad.

In XP you could make hidden files and folders from the Windows File Explorer by clicking on TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS and locating the ADVANCED settings where it displays a long check list of items that tells windows how to handle files, folders, etc. There was a option to Show hidden files and folders that had to be checked, because the default setting is "off".

In Windows 8, you have to through the Control Panel to enable that command. You also have to make a small change to the settings in the View tab of Windows File Explorer.

In File Explorer click the VIEW tab. Then put a check next to "hidden items." You may also want to check the "file name extensions" box, which turns on the display of the each files three letter extension, such as ".txt, .doc, .exe, .com, .jpg, etc....."

Now from the Windows Control Panel locate the "Appearance and Personalization" link and click on it. From that menu find "Folder Options" and click on it. Then click on the "Show hidden files and folders" link. This displays that check list I mentioned above.

Expand the Hidden files and folders item and click the button next to "Show hidden files, and folders, or drives.

Click apply and ok.

Now when you enter the "Content.IE5" folder you will be able to see the list of the temporary file folders that are normally hidden from view there. You can then simply click on the folder of your choice and examine the files contained within and copy the files you want to a normal folder.

WARNING: turning off the hide function makes system files and folders visible and vulnerable. Be sure you know what you are doing when deleting files and folders from your computer later on if you use this setup. You could accidentally delete something that might be important to Windows and keep it from functioning.

Use this information at your own risk. I accept no responsibility for any problems you may incur afterwards. If you are not sure what your doing, you are better off NOT doing it.

Keith

Intalling games

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:52 am

Well, I installed Steam and CotN on the new machine last night. I copied all the save files over pasted them into the new game folder.

I then tried to install another favorite game and ran into a major snag. After installing, I ran it and got a message that the game wasn't compatible on this OS....really Windows 8?....and that I should install Windows 2000 or higher.

No matter what I did at firs I could not get past that problem. I found and used the Windows 8 Program Compatibility Troubleshooter utility. I ran it in the "automatic" mode first, but it didn't work.

I tried to locate the "compatibility" tab on the game's executable "Properties" menu, but,....guess what... it wasn't there. Fine now I'm screwed. After more attempts I gave up for the night and gave it another go again today. However, this time I had and idea when I saw a tip that I choose the "Not Listed" option and browse to the game ".exe" file. So I did and that did the trick. All-in-all I must have spent about 5 hours on this problem before working out the solution on my own.

I just got done updating that game with patches and old save files, etc.
Oh, if you are wondering, it's "World in Conflict", one of the games I helped test for Massive Entertainment when they were making the game for Sierra, but now UbiSoft holds the rights.

Then I turned to Caesar IV. that went a little better, I got the game installed and files transferred and the game patched.

I may break with tradition and choose not to install the old citybuilders on the new machine. I rarely played them in recent years but I've still got the original discs and they are all in good shape if I want to press them into service.

My only minor problem is that the new monitor is wide screen HD format and the games seem to be slightly (not much) stretched sideways when they run on the screen. It's noticeable but not annoying. The new graphics card and monitor let me run the games on settings that are nearly maxed out save for one or two commands, which are set for a slightly lower level than "max".

The in-game graphics are highly detailed now. The lightning in Caesar IV during storms is kind of frightening and "in-your-face" when a bolt flashes on the screen right in front of your eyes close up. Much more impressive now than it was with my old less capable graphics card.

The new Beats audio sounds great and works with all the games I used to play through my old Sound Blasters.

So things are looking up. Today was the first day that I could get down to some gaming, instead of trying to figure out how everything works and doing preventative maintenances and system backups.

Pecunia

Postby Pecunia » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:33 pm

"Keith" wrote:My only minor problem is that the new monitor is wide screen HD format and the games seem to be slightly (not much) stretched sideways when they run on the screen. It's noticeable but not annoying.

You might want to check your monitor's options. My widescreen (16:10) Dell monitor has a setting called "aspect ratio" that I set to 4:3 if I want to play the old citybuilding games.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:30 am

No "aspect" setting that I can see. I can set it for portrait or landscape mode. I can change the resolution if I want to get something more in the 4:3 mode.

It's not too bad, in fact, I've gotten used it. I just noticed it because I have had a old standard monitor for all those years and just picked up on the difference.

I've been playing CotN and Caesar IV again for the first time in nearly a year and the wide screen format isn't bad.

This is a HP x1023 monitor running at 1920 x 1080.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:47 pm

I prefer playing games in windowed mode, because I usually have ten things going at one time. Hi Pecunia!

Herodotus

What's the verdict

Postby Herodotus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi Keith,

So now you've had your new Win 8 PC for a few weeks what's your verdict on Win 8?

a) Nothing to be worried about and just takes a bit of getting used to
or
b) A right royal pain in the butt.

I'm not really talking about Windows store Apps but things like our standard CB games C4, CotN, C3, Emp and Pharaoh etc, and things like Photoshop, Scanner software, Open Office, and whatever else can be regarded as standard user software on CD/DVD.

I have to get a new machine a bit like you just did, but one major supplier can offer a choice of Win8 versions, or Win 7 versions.
What would you have chosen with the benefit of hindsight

Jeff Fiske

Thanks for the Thread

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Great to hear real world experiences with any new OS.

Thanks as usual Keith

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:52 am

"Herodotus" wrote:I have to get a new machine a bit like you just did, but one major supplier can offer a choice of Win8 versions, or Win 7 versions.

A good general rule of thumb regarding new machines.

If {your getting something with a touchscreen}
then {get Windows 8}
else {get Windows 7}

MS will be supporting Windows 7 for at least 5-6 more years, probably more like 10 years so do not let that worry you.

good luck!
:cool:

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Sorry, I haven't been around the past week.

Win 8 takes a little getting used to. It has some nice features and others I could do without. I am getting used to it. I also like some of the added support apps and features that HP has added to the system. They help you find things quickly and easily.

So far, since my previous problems, all is working well. I have Children of the Nile and Steam , Caesar IV and World in Conflict all installed and working.

I have not tried any of the old game series like Caesar III on it yet though.

The problems I had getting two of my current games running were figured out and fixed by the Windows 8 Program Compatibility Troubleshooter application so I think it should be able to handle anything I might run into on the old series.

I would say, if you are looking for a new computer or upgrading to a new OS, don't be too afraid of Windows 8. With a little time and experience you'll soon have it pretty well figured out.

One thing I like on my particular machine is that if Windows 8 becomes so screwed up due a virus or corruption, I can use the REFRESH mode to reset Widows back to the factory state it arrived in. I only have to run the windows updates to get it back up to date. The REFRESH mode does not delete any thing that I put on the hard drive or installed. There is another mode that wipes it all clean.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks Keith,

I keep looking for "I H8 Windoze 8 :mad: " feedback, and never seem to find it so it seems people just get used to it, like you said. So I guess I''ll go with it, especially as it gives a lot more sources with more competetive prices.

Just for the record what spec CPU, memory and Graphics did you go for?

Return to “The Outside World”