Saving a file from a link in Win 8 and IE10.

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:26 pm

"Herodotus" wrote:Thanks Keith,

I keep looking for "I H8 Windoze 8 :mad: " feedback, and never seem to find it so it seems people just get used to it, like you said. So I guess I''ll go with it, especially as it gives a lot more sources with more competetive prices.

Just for the record what spec CPU, memory and Graphics did you go for?

I went with the topend gear. They sell the same machine preconfigured on their webstore, but I opted to customize my build just a bit.

The preconfigured model and mine have a different "model" number. My system is virtually identical to the HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1440t Desktop PC. Mine is called a 1340t just to denote the fact that this is a customized model.

Mine is running Windows 8 64-bit. Win 8 Pro 64-bit was an option.

I went with the full 32GB of memory instead of the default 12GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs].

AMD Radeon 7950 video card with 3GB RAM. NVidia GTX660 and GTX680 cards were other options.

The CPU is a 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K quad-core processor [3.5GHz, 8MB Shared Cache].

Mine has a extra 2TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive (optional) and can hold as many as 3 HD, the 1440t is setup with just one 2TB HD.

I also have a Hauppauge Win-TV-HVR-1260 card installed.

The system connects to my DSL router via Blue Tooth, but can be plugged in if I want.

It has USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

The system has liquid cooling and a 600 watt psu. The system is extremely quiet, much more so than my old Dell XPS.

Audio is a Beats Audio card.

Bose Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System.

15-in-1 card reader.

Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R )(2x2)

I opted for a wired keyboard and mouse, but the mouse is an optical type.

I jokingly refer to my HP as "the Cylon" because of the red bar below the drive bay area. The bar is brighter in the middle giving the effect of the "eye" but it doesn't move side-to-side like the Cylons.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:02 am

Wow :eek:

That's what I call a spec. :D

I'd have to go for something less than that, the same CPU, maybe half the Ram and the GTX 660 and smaller storage, and try to get an off-the-shelf standard model which may or may not be HP.

Thanks for the info. Hope you enjoy it lots and long.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:14 pm

HP does offer "smaller" Envy systems.

They have 5 different Envy Phoenix h9 configurations that come preconfigured or can be customized.

They also have Envy "h8" systems that come with either i5, i7 or AMD processors.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Well thanks.

However things are different on the east side of the Atlantic for HP direct sales, both pricewise and rangewise.

While I can find a similar spec "standard" envy h8 it would have to be from a 3rd party retailer, not HP direct.
But they are not really competitive with Advent or Lenovo and some others, with a similar spec machines available at almost 3/4 the price -- ie a saving of around £250 - Too much to ignore.
Of course, the devil is in the detail.

BTW I didn't mean to Hijack your thread ;)

Return to “The Outside World”