Yahoo to delete unused accounts

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Keith

Yahoo to delete unused accounts

Postby Keith » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:38 am

If you have a Yahoo account for email or other purposes and you haven't logged in during the last 12 months and you want to keep your account, you better check in sometime soon and show some activity in your account.

Yahoo is going to cull all the year old unused accounts from their system sometime soon.

I keep a Yahoo account for special email purposes and try to login to it every few months just to clean out the spam folder.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:34 am

***Be careful though***,

There have been a lot of phishing emails purporting to come from Yahoo saying something similar, I've had two in the last couple of weeks, plus several purporting to come from people I know but have had their yahoo accounts hijacked (presumably they fell for it)

...now another one this morning from Yahoo that I am not sure is genuine or not.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:19 pm

I mentioned this because I saw a report on the local TV news about Yahoo.

I would never click on anything from anyone that I did not actually know.

In this case all you have to do is show some activity in your account. If you have an account just sign in and look around Yahoo, or, go your email and delete the items in the spam folder.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:49 pm

I saw it on the news also that Yahoo was considering a deletion of unused accounts. It didn't say if they were actually going to do it.

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:44 am

Could be interesting to know how much HD space and server load they save by deleting those accounts.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:30 am

It means fewer accounts for the NSA to monitor ;)

Return to “The Outside World”