Windows 8.1 to get a "Start" button.

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Keith

Windows 8.1 to get a "Start" button.

Postby Keith » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:59 am

So many people have missed it that Microsoft has relented and will give Windows 8 a "start" button.

Personally, now that I'm used to Windows 8, I don't really miss not having a "start" button. I skip right past the fancy looking tile menu by clicking on the desktop tile and that is pretty much where I stay while working on Windows 8.

I've learned the "shortcut" keys of Windows 8 and how to do other things that used to be on a "start" button.

The Windows key on the keyboard actually has some real practical used in Windows 8, Windows key + R brings up the old command RUN box where you can type things like "ipconfig", "msconfig" or "dxdiag", etc.

Windows key + I brings up a menu of power shutdown options, sleep, restart, shutdown.

Windows key + X brings up a menu of options that include the Control Panel, Task Manager, command prompt, file explorer, search, etc. So I haven't found myself wishing for the old "start" button.

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:51 pm

I haven't upgraded to 8 yet. No rush since 7 is a nice os

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:25 pm

From what I can see, Windows 7 and 8 are pretty similar in features and functions.

I went directly from XP to 8.

We have a tablet computer here with 7 on it, but we don't use it much.

Return to “The Outside World”