Small Egyptian statue moving on it's own solved.

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Keith

Small Egyptian statue moving on it's own solved.

Postby Keith » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:26 pm

For months curators at the Manchester Museum in northern England wondered how a small Egyptian statue could rotate on its own while sealed in a glass display case. Rumors of a curse were dispelled when a engineer discovered that micro vibrations from traffic and footsteps of museum visitors caused the statue to vibrate along with them and caused the item to rotate on its own.

The statue was displayed on a hard glass shelf and that provided a low friction surface for the micro vibrations to do the trick.

The statue, of a man called Neb-Senu, was intended as an offering to Osiris, ancient Egyptian god of the dead and ruler of the underworld. It was donated to the museum by a private collector some 80 years ago.

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:48 am

Did they first find that out now? As far as I could tell, vibrations from visitors walking past the shelf with the statue, and maybe heavy traffic on a nearby road had to be the reason. :p

I once lived in an old house about 50 meters from a railroad. I had to push my bookcase back to the wall about every second month because vibrations from passing trains made it move out from the wall. Yes, I had wall-to-wall carpet on the floor. That didn't stop the bookcase from moving.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Ya gotta love the power of small waves
:cool:
:cool:

Return to “The Outside World”