Forum software upgrade?

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Keith

Forum software upgrade?

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Anyone else notice that the boards look a tiny bit different this past week?

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Well... This post wasn't here last week.

Apart from that, row height has been reduced.
(Can't believe I checked the way back machine just for that)

What else is new?

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:37 pm

The box where you type the replies is white with black type font and doesn't match the rest of the forum background like it used to.

There is a new "Mark Forums Read" and "Open Contacts Popup" at the top of the screen with the rest of the menu items. The mark forums read command used to be only on a pull down menu where you could choose things like list all the posts for that day, or see who is online, etc. That menu seems to be gone too.

A change in forum software may account for the reason that the attachments are back on again. Jeff may have forgotten to turn them off, or decided to leave it on.

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:59 pm

There has been a "Mark Forums Read" link at the bottom of the main page for a very long time.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:20 am

True. I never used it though. But, now there is a link at the top of the page above the forum index and the "pull down" menu with other options is gone.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:16 pm

Ok, I have figured out what is going on. I had to upgrade my original Windows 8 to 8.1 recently before all this happened. It was after the upgrade I noticed the seeming changes to the forum.

Evidently, MSIE 11 received some changes in the upgrade and works a bit differently than before. When I turned on the browser Compatibility View settings for tiltedmill.com the former menu reappeared, but disappeared when I turned off the compatibility mode.

The first image is MSIE 11 in Windows 8.1 default mode.

The second image is MSIE 11 in Windows 8.1 compatibility mode.

The area in question is the black menu bar just below the words "Tilted Mill Community" on the left of the screen.

So the question is answered and there was no forum software upgrade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Well, if it makes you feel any better...

after a morning wasted trying to sort out badly installed windows 7 updates incl the IE 11 update, the forum does look different again.

But the enter message box is definitely different, it didn't have those drop down boxes before, did it?
... and there are a lot of new headings, surely they can't all be IE 11?

(I must get a life ;) )

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Yeah, I think it is all IE11. With the compatibility mode turned on the forum looks just like it did under XP and older versions of IE. Of course, Search has it's usual search pull down menu with the basic search and the link to go to the advanced search as always. Under the old IEs the pull down menu is under the Quick Links and it contains the following items:

Today's Posts
Mark Forums Read
Open Contacts Popup
Contacts & Friends
Social Groups
User Control Panel
Edit Signature
Edit Your Details
Edit Options
Private Messages
Subscribed Threads
Your Profile
Who's Online

I asked Jeff about it and he contacted Reed and Reed got back to me and said that it might be that IE11 isn't recognizing javascript like it did before. I took a tour through the internet options menu of the browser and I can't even find a entry from the old virtual java machine or anything similar. I'd have to do some searching on Google to see if I can find any more info on what is going on. I don't seem to have problems with sites the seem to have javascripts running though.

I have turned on the compatibility mode for other sites I visit there seems to be some minor differences on those sites as well. My only problem is that since I purge my internet browser cache about a dozen times a day, the list that the compatibility mode creates of the sites its supposed to be turned on for gets erased with the other files. I have to keep adding TM's forum back to a new empty list, as well as the others I've added.

I also noticed that IE11's temporary files are now stored in a different location. Before I could easily find and files I may have viewed stored in the Window 8 version of IE11, but since the update to Win8.1 the files are not as easy to find.

Under Win8 they were stored in the following path:
C:\Users\(username here)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5

Under Win8.1 the files are now in:
C:\Users\(username here)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

It's not a big deal unless you want to grab a copy of a video from YouTube and don't want to use a 3rd party piece of software to get it. YouTube and other sites store copies of the streaming file in the temporary internet files and once you access that folder you can simply copy the file and paste it into another folder. I was doing that for years on several video sites. Now I don't see the videos that were played at all in the new folder.
Last edited by Keith on Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marius

Postby Marius » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:25 am

*cough*

... Firefox ... Opera ... Safari ...

*cough* ...

NOT IE

*cough*

even Chrome ... not going there myself ...

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:39 am

No thanks.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:52 pm

You're right, compatibility mode makes some menu items disappear.

So why use compatibility mode? Don't we want to see the hidden choices?

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:05 am

In my case the default mode hides the menus, and the compatibility mode brings them back.

Return to “The Outside World”