CBC is closed.

Off-topic discussions about everything else
JuliaSet

CBC is closed.

Postby JuliaSet » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:29 pm

We have had a good ten years, but since it doesn't look like there will be any more City Building games, I have decided to close the site. It was a 300.00 cost per year which was considered an ok expense, but since no one uses it any more I asked our webmaster Pecunia to find a storage/archive location for you.

Pecunia has saved the site but wants to know what you would like saved. She will tell you where to find it when it is decided what everyone wants. I made the site for You guys.. What do you want saved please?

Contest pages

Results pages

Forums

Contest and results

All of the above?

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:13 pm

Depending on how much there is you could store the entire site, including the webpages ,on a free cloud storage site like MEGA. They provide 50GB of free storage. That way all the files could be restored and reassembled in the future, if that day should ever come.

Files can be shared publicly or made private. One can provide a link to the general folder with the public files and subfolders and you can provide links directly to individual files without making the entire folder they are in public.

Mega.co.nz

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:35 pm

It was fun and many thanks for running it. Your site must have given a lot of fun to a lot of people over the years. I still have it in my favorites, and check every now and then.

It would be great to see the contests saved somewhere so we can download and play them someday.

kach

Postby kach » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:22 am

Thanks JuliaSet! You ran some brilliant contests and supplied generous prizes.

I think the contests are definitely worth saving, and if people play those contest maps, the'd probably be interested in the results too.

Mulluane

Postby Mulluane » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:07 pm

Looks like I picked the wrong time to purchase and start playing Caesar 3 again :o I didn't like Caesar 4. Still play Cleo/Pharaoh too. And Nile.

I depend on that site for tips and contest maps. Can't we save it somewhere somehow? Like in a cloud? Or can we get a PDF version of the guides?

So sad to see the end of an era.

tobing

Postby tobing » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:27 pm

I could host a copy of the library on my site, if you want (and if my space is sufficient). That would include all contests and all the results.

alincarpetman

Postby alincarpetman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:52 am

In addition to the ideas above there is City Building Games Wikia which might be a place where some of the content could be added. Also maybe any helpful game info can be posted here at Tilted mill and over at the Heavengames forums either as threads/posts and/or tutorial downloads.

I also wanted to quote an idea from another thread about a community-driven City Building Games news site, on which things like CBContests could also be archived if desired:

Also been thinking how the city building game genre doesn't have a website that collects news, press, does interviews, etc like Rock Paper Shotgun, Kotaku, Giant Bomb, etc.
You can find some general multi-genre game press sites like those and some niche ones out there such as for rts games - Rts Guru, which is a related genre that is probably more popular than CB games but not as popular as shooters, rpgs, mmos, online, mobile, etc games.

I don't have time for such a project but what do people here think about this? I'm sure there have to be some fans who could put something together and make it work like other game news sites as this is a small genre compared to others. This way these games could get more press, sales and community interaction.

Another option is for a community-submitted news site - you make an account and submit news as it arrives. There already exists a multi-game city builder forum here at City Builder Games Forum.
Other relevant forums are Tilted Mill here, Heavengames, Anno Fans, Kalypso Games, Simtropolis, and others that are game-specific.

I plan to upload the lists of games to the City Building Games Wikia and wikipedia entry soon - if people are interested you can make a Wikia account there and add relevant info, content and links in your spare time if you wish.
Another place to update and fill in info is the Mobygames database here.
Last edited by alincarpetman on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:54 am

Hey, even though I was not active there I am saddened by it's passing.

Hopefully someone will make another good CB someday. I'm really tired of playing Diablo3.

Good Luck !
:cool:
:cool:

Tinkerbell

Re: CBC is closed.

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:48 pm

This is very sad news.

Thank you soo much Julia for having this site as long as you did.

tobing

Postby tobing » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:17 am

I have made a copy of this site using httrack, which is online under
http://www.villages-and-cities.de/extern/cbc/www.citybuildingcontests.net/index.html
including all the scenario files, forums and so on. Just in case someone is looking for ancient knowledge or one of the many scenarios.
Last edited by tobing on Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alincarpetman

Postby alincarpetman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:30 am

tobing wrote:I have made a copy of this site using httrack, which is online under
http://www.villages-and-cities.de/ex...net/index.html
including all the scenario files, forums and so on. Just in case someone is looking for ancient knowledge or one of the many scenarios.

I just clicked on the link now but it doesn't seem to be working, it says "Not Found".
Would you also happen to remember or have an archive of any of the old CB sites?
Some of them for Pharaoh are listed here and it would be nice to see how many we can salvage.

tobing

Postby tobing » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:45 pm

I have fixed the link, thanks! Somehow the fill link was abbreviated...

There are more archives on http://www.villages-and-cities.de/

Return to “The Outside World”