If you have not seen Cities: Skylines

Off-topic discussions about everything else
PantherX

If you have not seen Cities: Skylines

Postby PantherX » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:09 am

Hi All, City Skylines came out last month to zero fanfare. I don't understand how these companies expect to sell millions of copies without the fanfare.

On the other hand I am pretty sure this game will be a huge success.

Cities: Skylines from Paradox interactive
http://www.citiesskylines.com/

This is a city builder similar in playstyle to Sim Cities (Not SC: Societies) You lay out the roads and drop some specific services buildings, then zone and watch the magic happen.

Single player only, simple and easy to use interface.
The transportation aspects are a really simplified version of Cities in Motion dropped into Sim City.

I have always preferred the Tilted Mill style of gameplay but this game is downright fun and has you always looking for that next great thing to do.

Optimizing traffic is a little tough but I only have about 30 hours of gameplay in and 2 cities in progress. Buses, subway (metro), trains, boats and airplanes offer tons of customization possibilities.

There does not seem to be any objectives or goals other than basic population goals to unlock unique buildings. which I suppose leaves you plenty of time to open up the entire maps system and build to your hearts content.

The game was designed from the ground up with modding in mind. There are already tons of mods available in the Steam Workshop.

At first glance you will see a lot of clues taken from SCS. You can assign different areas of the city to specific specializations which changes the looks of all the industry.

Yes it is a Steam game and will require a Steam account to play.

So far there is no Demo and the Tutorial leaves a lot to be desired but I still say it is a Buy it now. Don't wait if you like CB/management games this game is awesome.

Have fun all!
:cool:
:cool:

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:12 pm

City Builder website has quite a bit of write up regarding City Skylines http://www.citybuildergames.com/ . It does look like fun.

Return to “The Outside World”