Yes, didn't care for it
7%
Yes, loved it
29%

Total votes: 14

Rubicon

Emperor by Conn Iggulden

Postby Rubicon » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:44 pm

Since many of the members of this forum are, in addition to being fans of CB games, interested in Roman history, I was interested to know how many of you (if any) had heard of this excellent series of books.

The fourth and final book in the series, "Gods of War", will be released in the U.S. on March 28. I was lucky enough to pick up a copy during may Australia travels last month. This historical fiction series focuses on the life of Julius Caesar from a very young boy right up until you-know-when. If you are at all interested in Julius Caesar or Roman history, I can't recommend these books strongly enough.

Has anyone else read them?

Gweilo

Postby Gweilo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:57 pm

Quite honestly, I had a tough time making it through the first book. It just felt 'too light' to me. I was left with no desire to read the rest of the series. There was too much distortion of history for my taste.

I much prefered Colleen McCullough's "First Man in Rome" series. In my opinion, it was much closer to actual history. It was obvious she did much more serious research, and incorporated it into the series.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Last edited by Gweilo on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:50 am

Other books of interest are of the historical mystery genre by authors

Lindsey Davis (Flavians)
John Maddox Roberts (late Republic)
Steven Saylor (late Republic - Civil War)

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:00 pm

Gweilo wrote:I much prefered Colleen McCullough's "First Man in Rome" series. In my opinion, it was much closer to actual history. It was obvious she did much more serious research, and incorporated it into the series.

Thanks for the suggestion - I've been intending to pick up McCullough's book.

I understand your criticism - it is certainly historical fiction. However, in his epilogues, he does provide support and/or explaination for any interpretations or distortions of popularly held facts. I enjoyed the characters and action, especially since reading it immediately after "I, Claudius" which was difficult for me to get through.

Rubicon

Postby Rubicon » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:01 pm

wodinoneeye wrote:Other books of interest are of the historical mystery genre by authors

Lindsey Davis (Flavians)
John Maddox Roberts (late Republic)
Steven Saylor (late Republic - Civil War)

I picked up Saylor's book a couple of weeks ago and it is "in the queue."

thischarmingman

Postby thischarmingman » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:12 pm

iggulden's doing a new series on genghis khan, can't say i'll buy it. it'll just be like emperor - fiery characters and historical inaccuracy

but they are a fun read :)

Shadow-Imperator

Postby Shadow-Imperator » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:26 am

Gweilo wrote:Quite honestly, I had a tough time making it through the first book. It just felt 'too light' to me. I was left with no desire to read the rest of the series. There was too much distortion of history for my taste.

I much prefered Colleen McCullough's "First Man in Rome" series. In my opinion, it was much closer to actual history. It was obvious she did much more serious research, and incorporated it into the series.

I agree, I agree, I agree.

I do infact have the whole series though, the only problem is that YOU ARE 100% sure of the fate of the charcters. Plus it was too 'Gaius' and 'Marcus' for my liking. As you said mate, Colleen McCullough's "First man in Rome" is far more encompassing, vivid, epic, broadened, massive in scope and character rich than "Emperor".

Acamas

Postby Acamas » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:46 pm

I love Igguldens books. He is the one who actually got me reading any kind of book. I suggest you all read just the first chapter of book 1. I read all of them, including book 4 imported from England.

Return to “The Outside World”