Greifers, military - some thoughs & suggestions

Have a suggestion or idea for Nile Online?
Bakbak

Greifers, military - some thoughs & suggestions

Postby Bakbak » Sun May 17, 2009 12:24 pm

From my albeit short experience in this game, I did learn one thing: the military aspect of this game is lacking, big time.
Greifers are a random thorn in the neck, and the only solutions I've heard of so far are cowardly and pseudo-diplomatic (building a monument far from the greifer or lobbying for an embargo, etc.). They are bullies who turn this into a who-can-build-more-chariots-faster game, that is - a very boring game.
Hence, I have two suggestions regarding the military aspect:

1. Add the ability to construct defense-boosting fortifications at monuments (costing bricks and bronze, maybe), which are destroyed once the monument's captured. This will enable players to entrench themselves at a site and greifers will have to work twice as hard to keep a monument they raid.

2. Make some units more defensive than others. i.e, archers stronger at defense and weaker at offense, chariots - vice versa, or something like that.

Just some suggestions.

DustysMomma

Postby DustysMomma » Sun May 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Your point #2 is already somewhat in place. From the NO wiki:

# Archers die first in battle, followed by spearmen and then by chariots.
# Chariots seem to be more powerful than either archers or spearmen in killing power.

I do agree with your first point though. This is why I wanted so long to get a monument again in Sabah. But when I finally did, I waited unti lthe player had not been on for a couple days. That was several weeks ago now & although the player has been on since, they are currently inactive & on the verge of deletion. Luckily, I have not been attacked again.

GaSplat
Location: Splat's Crib 159N on Sabah - where the tools of war can be found ;)

Postby GaSplat » Sun May 17, 2009 8:29 pm

I think what Bakbak was suggesting is more like Archers are as powerful as chariots when they are defending and maybe chariots are weaker on defense. This would make expensive chariots the offensive weapon of choice while relatively cheaper archers are stronger on defense. But we still need to train them not to shoot themselves (or whatever it is that causes them to die like flies).

I like both of his suggestions, recommending cedar rather than brick for the defensive works.

abana

Postby abana » Sun May 17, 2009 8:33 pm

Spoken like a true cedar-producer.

GaSplat
Location: Splat's Crib 159N on Sabah - where the tools of war can be found ;)

Postby GaSplat » Sun May 17, 2009 9:49 pm

That only attests to the authority with which I can understand the pain and the need for more cedar sinks. ;) :)

Bakbak

Postby Bakbak » Sun May 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Thanks, GeSplat, that's indeed what I meant about the defensive-offensive units. Chariots are more powerful altogether, not just on offense.

Thinking further about the fortifications thing, perhaps it could somehow corelate with the defense bonus from the monuments or maybe even replace it altogether. I think it makes more sense and is more natural than some sort of mystical strength bonus given by the monument. Players should be able to defend monuments not just by putting 5,000 soldiers there and pumping it with bread.

Return to “Suggestions / Ideas”