Monuments and PVP

Have a suggestion or idea for Nile Online?
Anubis-Theoris

Monuments and PVP

Postby Anubis-Theoris » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:29 pm

This game is too "safe"

Suggestions:
Only allow bonuses from monument plots to effect your cities in the same zone as the monument. IE I have a city at 1S,2S,3S. I get a monument at 1S. Only 1S gets the monument bonus.

Why? End game is boring. There's nothing to do but horde goods to go immortal. If people actually had to pvp over monuments because you couldn't just go to 999S and grab one from an unused zone then monuments would actually mean something. I love the trading and general good attitude of this game. But there comes a point where you want to test your mettle and scuffle with people. Trading with friends and not trading with enemies can have fun impacts on the economy.

Secondly, I don't see a reason you shouldn't be able to relinquish control of a monument. Dropping a monument to bait someone to attack, or dropping yours to attack a foe for the spoils then running back to defend your monument seems fun.

Finally. If you have a split in the general population about these things. make different servers for PvP these types of rules active. If a PvP server opened up I'd be there in seconds.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Totally agree, Anubis-Theoris

Thankx for the support!

Anonymous Top Ranker

Postby Anonymous Top Ranker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Totally agree, too.

Signed!

The game needs PvP options!

The suggestions above would be a big improvement!

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:04 pm

ok now for the usual redundant Zeal post

I also agree with this, it may be just what the game needs to make it interesting again. :)
why call the PVP system "king of the hill" .. if there was never a hill?

hell it may even force larger developed players to build colonies out in the wilderness, just to avoid high lvl PVP, which may be a boon to the tiny players who start out there.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:34 pm

"Anonymous Top Ranker" wrote:Sorry Zeal, but what you want is off this topic.

?

Zeal is entirely both on-topic & agreed with us three.

...but he might go off-topic with his next post cuz it is a TM Forums tradition...<g>...

You made clear what kind of challenge you long for: PvH (player vs. himself, meaning: making everything in your city nicer and nicer). You're longing for perfection challenge. (which I totally respect by the way. I just wouldn't play it)

Not exactly. Zeal is also multi-dimensional. He plays that other Online Game ~ Ikariam or something like that with tons of PvP.

...and likes bananas...
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:02 pm

... I'll have to say that I'm not the one who's off topic ;)
(ok.. I definitely am now lol )

If a few people always agree completely on everything, you CAN be sure only one of them is really thinking. :)

It's true that I like to challenge my own limits in a game but that doesn't mean I don't want PvP to be improved too, I did agree with the OP and listed some random thoughts/"reasons" why I agreed JUST to make my post less redundant..

Perhaps these weren't the same reasons as you or Tink but they were MY reasons.. some of them anyways.
or is that WHY you think I'm off topic?

IE I didn't want to say "I agree" and just leave with that.
such posts are only helpful when attempting to guesstimate community support, and everybody knows 'Forum posters' usually represent the more hardcore fans o_0 not the community as a whole

that's why forum polls are a bit laughable.

"Tinkerbell" wrote:...and likes bananas...

*hides Banana* LIES! ..... All LIES!!
Last edited by Zeal on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous Top Ranker

Postby Anonymous Top Ranker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Hey Zeal,

your reasons for PvP improvements are just as good as mine or anybody else's. Of course they are!

Just got the impression you were forging it towards other suggestions which are all to be valued, but which would belong into a new topic. One of the issues with this forum is that threads use to become off topic after a few posts, with the result the discussions headed to the middle of nowhere. I'm annoyed by that, but here I must have got the wrong impression.

So I say sorry and you're amnestied ;)

Edit: Ok, I read your post again and indeed, now it sounds completely different. Now understanding it, I would even sign it! Perhaps I got it wrong in the first place cause I'm not a native speaker. So the only redundancy here was my response to that, which I'll delete now. Fine, fine, the embarassement is all on me now... but ok, I guess I can take it ;)

PPS - If you and Tink would delete your last post each as well, this thread would be cleared of all misunderstandings and embarassements(on my side) ;)
Last edited by Anonymous Top Ranker on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:39 pm

I say leave those posts. Don't rewrite history. :)

Some good things were said in those posts and I think people should be able to read them. ATR, if you deleted your earlier post that's a pity... you could have made an edit, perhaps referring to a later post? No need for embarrassment at all - misunderstandings are easy on forums!

Edit: By the way I especially like this and think it should stand:

"Zeal" wrote:...
If a few people always agree completely on everything, you CAN be sure only one of them is really thinking. :)
Last edited by Ivy on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:48 pm

"Anonymous Top Ranker" wrote:PPS - If you and Tink would delete your last post each as well, this thread would be cleared of all misunderstandings and embarassements(on my side) ;)

Sorry, but I do not delete nor edit posts to remove parts.

...cuz dat's cheating...

"Ivy" wrote:By the way I especially like this and think it should stand:

Zeal wrote:If a few people always agree completely on everything, you CAN be sure only one of them is really thinking. :)

Dat's a fact, Jackie!

:D

...or the OP was not thinking either & the rest were just sucking up...
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Not because it's cheating... but it detracts from people's understanding of things...
and of how we got where we are now. :)

Anonymous Top Ranker

Postby Anonymous Top Ranker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:41 pm

@ Tink: it's not about cheating, it's about removing redundant stuff. The topic is: enhancing PvP. But you see where all the chit chat moves this thread again - to nowhere. The topic deserves to be focused on, at least if you wanna achieve something at last.

"If a few people always agree completely on everything, you CAN be sure only one of them is really thinking."

That's right of course, but this sentence is the better characterization of the forum:

If a bunch of people never completely agree on anything, you can be sure all of their thinking was just killing some time.

-->Examples of discussions that have had an impact (bringing game designers to do something)? Someone?

Maybe instead of letting any and every topic end in chit chats, my suggestion would be to start trying to get somewhere. A first step might(??) be staying with the topic.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:12 pm

I could give you a few examples of discussions that lead to some change in the game, but wouldn't that be off-topic? :p

"Anonymous Top Ranker" wrote:If a bunch of people never completely agree on anything, you can be sure all of their thinking was just killing some time.

Tell that to Parliament and Congress :(

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:51 am

I believe that TM looks at everything we discuss here on the forums and then takes all the bad stuff and throws it away, everything else they try to make it into new and exciting things.
TM has never pre-released information about their games. They are not very good at hyping their products or even hinting at whats next. What they are good at is making something new and exciting. If our suggestions make a better game in the future I feel good about it. History shows us this modus operandi of TM.
What's really amazing is the leaps in game-play style and purpose that they exhibit in each of their games, and how everything is always feels fresh and different.

:cool:

mobius

Postby mobius » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:07 pm

This game is a light pvp game and needs to be left that way. There are plenty of pvp games.

Few examples.
Ikariam
Ogame
Ultima Online
Warhammer Online
Word of Warcraft
Meridian 59

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:27 am

pfft since when is Nile Online anything like World of Warcrap or Ultima Online?

Anonymous Top Ranker

Postby Anonymous Top Ranker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:54 am

"mobius" wrote:This game is a light pvp game and needs to be left that way.

That's not correct.

This game could be offered on different servers, each of them presenting a slightly different PvP gameplay. More PvP on one server for the more competitive, less PvP on the other server, for the more comfortable players.

So there's a Nile Online for everyone.

Nobody would have a reason against that solution.

vanlong441

Postby vanlong441 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:59 pm

"mobius" wrote:This game is a light pvp game and needs to be left that way. There are plenty of pvp games.

Few examples.
Ikariam
Ogame
Ultima Online
Warhammer Online
Word of Warcraft
Meridian 59

May I add Evony to that list :rolleyes: And may I add what ended up with it? I quit that game already for the following reason:
+That game was so good, everything the game designers provided was excellent EXCEPT the game-play took my time away doing things I SHOULD consider what I must do in the game: build, fight and lose... for what?
Here lays my not-off-topic opinion:
+Does a fight mean anything to anyone of us? Give us a common enemy and we will fight for that, together (says the Roman or some bandits knowing how to attack people)
Last edited by vanlong441 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...for now it's all gone...

tutmoses ii

Postby tutmoses ii » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:01 pm

What makes this game boring is that it takes too long to complete. In that respect it's even worse than ikariam - and that's saying something. Both suffer from the steep increased cost curve for upgrades not only in resources, but in time as well. Somebody with OCC upgrading the palace to level 20 can't upgrade anything for two days. The biggest challenge there is indeed to overcome boredom.
It'd be a lot better if only the resource cost would increase and not the upgrade time as well.
Atm I have three towns, capital palace upgrading to level 20, and already I'm collecting stuff for immortality. I simply more or less have everything I need for the moment - except bricks. I lost my monuments, so now I have top trade for lime stone as well, but in the last days I'd often rather trade to help somebody to kohl or something else they really needed than because I was hard up for what they could offer.
Anybody here played Age of Empires? They'll know what it means that some people insisted in playing it at speed 2.0 - because at lower speed they felt it was boring.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:49 pm

age of empires went way to fast for me to keep up
I needed to pause it a lot or slow down the speed....just to come up with a semi decent strategy in response to the computers
(I play on the hardest difficulty and am usually surrounded)

I can see how building a wonder might take a long while...
even that is nothing compared to upgrading anything past lvl 3 in NO :eek:

Evony is Age of Empires online I'm told

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:55 pm

Age is too slow?

Now I have heard everything

LOL

Return to “Suggestions / Ideas”