Nile Online Reincarnation To MMO

Have a suggestion or idea for Nile Online?
kartong

Nile Online Reincarnation To MMO

Postby kartong » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Hello TM forums. I am a long-time fan of the classic Caesar 3, Pharaoh, ... line of games. I've also played Nile Online, and own Hinterland on Steam.

I would like to see a reinvention of Nile Online. Instead of an online strategy game, make it a city builder mmo! Not necessarily in the browser. My most important changes:
  • A trading system that doesn't require you to micromanage all resource trading.
  • True city building, rather than city upgrading. Real-time, of course!
  • Real-time chat.

I would keep the slow pace, though. The beauty of Nile Online is that you don't have to spend much time at each interaction in order to accomplish something, and you don't have to worry about your city dying if you go away for a few hours. Those are the best two things about the game. If you could somehow mix them into a full-fledged mmo, you've got a winning formula.
Last edited by kartong on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: cropped

Tevin

Postby Tevin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:42 pm

I'd play that.

Isn't that what CitiesXL does, though?

But yeah, a Nile where you get to watch your buildings progress, bit by bit and interact with "forums" (chats) would be great.

Too bad we'll never, ever see it. :(

kartong

Postby kartong » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:38 am

Why not?

outfctrl

Postby outfctrl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:24 pm

I really enjoy Nile Online. I can play it at work, at home or anywhere. Make a couple of changes and go back to work. Interactions with other players is great. The slow pace is perfect. Now, if this was made as a non-browser game, slow paced, it would be even better.

This has been the only browser game I have truly enjoyed. Presently, I am playing CotN and would like it a little slower. Maybe there is an adjustment for that. Need to look.

Anyways, Nile Online is a great browser game and an RTS would be great if it would follow similar techniques.

kartong

Postby kartong » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Exactly. I completely agree with you.

One thing that I don't really like about Nile Online is the resource trading system. It's repetitive; Most of the times when you login, all you do is ship resources or trade them. I want to replace that system with something automated to remove that micromanagement. That would leave some room to expand the game's city building.

I'm not convinced that a standalone game would be better than a browser game. The browser game just needs a lot more depth and detail than Nile Online.
Last edited by kartong on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Suggestions / Ideas”