Why the Markets are dead

Have a suggestion or idea for Nile Online?
barryrf

Why the Markets are dead

Postby barryrf » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:55 pm

The markets are dead most offerings are for very large quantities that smaller players cannot afford and Nubian traders are often absent.

The reason is the non-refundable listing fee, this is killing the market.
If the fee was charged only for completed transactions then smaller quantities could be offered and adjustments easily made.
Better yet get rid of the fee entirely.
Is Barack Obama making policy for you?
Fix this please

abana

Postby abana » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:01 pm

If you are playing on Sabah, the problem is the number of "dead" cities(lack of server sweeps). Also the number of players who are just hanging around for rank. Try direct trade, build ships and trade with players. It can also help to upgrade your market.

barryrf

Postby barryrf » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:05 pm

Direct trade is a time consumer pain in the neck, make the markets work properly and you will get more people playing the game.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Try placing buy orders for small amounts if you cannot afford the big ones. Just be sure you also offer a reasonable buy amount and don't expect a super low price to get the job done.

I sell just about everything I put on the market in units of 100. I've been doing that for more than a year and a half now. I know not everyone can afford huge lots. I could sell my stuff in huge lots too, but that's no fun.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:44 pm

I agree, barryrf, but to blame President Obama? LOL

It's bush/cheney's fault. They were president when Nile was designed.

The market fees are fine & are there to prevent exploits. That is not the problem.

Two fixes needed.

1) Nubians always present so they are not eliminated by one upload from a seller.

2) Nubian prices still waaaay too high

Bricks Baskets Pottery (bbp) ~ 18 is outrageous. It should be a max of about 8
Raws 10 is about right, but 8 would be better
Lux 18 is about right also, but 16 would be better
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

abana

Postby abana » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:04 pm

I don't often, but this time, Tink, I agree with your whole post.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Thank You, abana! :)

setokaiba

Postby setokaiba » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:39 am

:D One of the ideas that I had in another post was that the nubian changed with the leveling of the trade post.

As the trade post grew so did the traders amounts, as I think most people are saying its too low or too expensive. Maybe they should just have set levels permanently available and the buyers can pick and chose when they are ready to do so, and by doing this set the fee, smaller fees for if a fee at all for small amounts to help out the smaller cities and increase as the market or amount increases. Alternatively work it like a stock exchange. Umm like say when you go in and the prices will vary i.e.: Kohl is at a low, so buy, buy, buy and henna is at a high so go away and come back later... ^_^ Sort of thing... played a game like that once... made things interesting as you had to keep watching the markets to see what you can buy low sell high sort of thing.. granted there won't be any selling, unless you're into making loads of bread... :D It may also add a new dynamic to the whole econmy based game play. ^_^

Also there are players who will buy small "buy orders" posted in the trading post but not very many pleople are aware this. I personaly only just learned this recently as I never need to obtain goods in this manner. I believe the decline in player activity has brought this new trading method into being or at lest made it a necesity. The fee is only an issue for new players strying to get thier bread income going, when i started the game so very long ago it never bothered me as I obtained most of my stuff from trade, it was very easy and not so time consuming. I only really bought from the market because all ships were out. ^_^ the market was merely an extra. But now with extneded and long ship trades the markets have become the main option for which I believe it was never disgned to be. Thus the result of frustered players who can't get enough goods quick enough to do what they want.

Quernia

Postby Quernia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:45 pm

"Keith" wrote:I sell just about everything I put on the market in units of 100. I've been doing that for more than a year and a half now. I know not everyone can afford huge lots. I could sell my stuff in huge lots too, but that's no fun.

Have you ever tried buying a lux good for an upgrade where you need 2k of them, but there are only 5 lots of 100 on the market?

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:55 pm

Have you ever tried buying a lux good for an upgrade where you need 2k of them, but there are only 5 lots of 100 on the market?

All the time. I buy when I can and have learned to be patient and not buy items with inflated prices. It may take a little longer but I'm not depleting my bread stocks and hurting my ranking.

If you need large lots, you can place buy orders to fill the need.

There's always someone else willing to sell big lots in my area. I tend to sell just as much as they do in the end, if not more, because I find that there are more customers for small lots than big ones.

I constantly check my game throughout the day. I'm constantly refilling the market slots that have sold in the intervening time.

I spent freely buying large lots building my first city and my rank dropped like a stone. I changed tactics and my rank went from 886 up to it's present 119 as of this moment. I only sell an amount that I can recoupe quickly. I also make a ton of bread so I can buy what I want when I want it, but I tend to limit that so I can keep that at or near maximum capacity. I also don't dabble much in private trades. 99% of my dealings are via the open market in the game.

I also want to mention, that I have four cities, with my fourth at level 20 at present. All were built with free and quest scarabs. I have no monuments because I have no military in any of my cities. My rank would probably be even higher with a couple of monuments.

Quernia

Postby Quernia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:33 pm

"Keith" wrote:All the time. I buy when I can and have learned to be patient and not buy items with inflated prices. It may take a little longer but I'm not depleting my bread stocks and hurting my ranking.

If you need large lots, you can place buy orders to fill the need.

There's always someone else willing to sell big lots in my area. I tend to sell just as much as they do in the end, if not more, because I find that there are more customers for small lots than big ones.

I constantly check my game throughout the day. I'm constantly refilling the market slots that have sold in the intervening time.

I spent freely buying large lots building my first city and my rank dropped like a stone. I changed tactics and my rank went from 886 up to it's present 119 as of this moment. I only sell an amount that I can recoupe quickly. I also make a ton of bread so I can buy what I want when I want it, but I tend to limit that so I can keep that at or near maximum capacity. I also don't dabble much in private trades. 99% of my dealings are via the open market in the game.

I also want to mention, that I have four cities, with my fourth at level 20 at present. All were built with free and quest scarabs. I have no monuments because I have no military in any of my cities. My rank would probably be even higher with a couple of monuments.

Hrm.........

Which nomes are you in? I may need to found some cities near you!

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:02 am

Nomes 7S, 9S, 13S and 22S.

Quite a few people in those nomes are selling big lots as well, but a few have started selling smaller lots as well, I believe, because they keep seeing my small lots moving while theirs just sit.

What I don't sell, I stockpile by shipping the item to my other cities for storage while the city that makes them has room to crank out more.

Example, the limit on luxury items like cosmetics is 40,000 in the city making it. But you can ship loads of that off to another city that isn't making it and the amount will be stored there even if that city has 40,000 or more of cosmetics already. The absolute maximum is 999,999. Raw materials can be stored in the producing city up to that amount.

I do a lot of shipping between my four cities moving luxury items and raw materials my cities produce around for use by the other city and storage. I sell in the market what I can easily replace by my production, so I can almost constantly keep selling and item in 100 unit lots all day long.

Quernia

Postby Quernia » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:19 am

"Keith" wrote:Nomes 7S, 9S, 13S and 22S.

Ah, yes...I see you!

In Theoris.

I'm not doing too bad getting materials in Theoris. Now on Sabah......

Maybe it's the difference of another 1000 years of empire building.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:56 am

I stopped playing in Sabah when the online game came out of beta. I'm not even sure that Sabah is upgraded to the same level as Theoris with fixes.

abana

Postby abana » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:58 am

The main problem that I see, is that there are no server sweeps on Sabah, so It is FULL of inactive accounts.

Return to “Suggestions / Ideas”