dxdiags

For technical or performance related issues
Matt Zimmitti

dxdiags

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Hey all, we're narrowing down some performance issues on certain machine configurations. If you're having issues (or even if you are not) and you have the time we could use a copy of some dxdiags (attached as text files) and a description of performance on your machine. We have pretty much ruled out processors at this point but some other things like peripherals, video card setups, drivers and the like that we'd like to do some comparisons of.

Thanks.

somebody

Postby somebody » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:04 pm

I have a couple of problems (actually a lot), so I attached my DxDiag.
Mostly graphical bugs: floating trees, floating soldiers...
I'll give it another go when my exams finish (sigh)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by somebody on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fronobulax

Postby Fronobulax » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Attached. I would describe game as sluggish, taking extremely long to respond to input (such as trying to scroll the map with WASD or center by a double click). Game takes 50% of CPU according to Task Manager even when doing "nothing" such as bringing up the Menu option as a pseudo-pause for the tactical game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Manni

Postby Manni » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:24 pm

"Fronobulax" wrote:Attached. I would describe game as sluggish, taking extremely long to respond to input (such as trying to scroll the map with WASD or center by a double click). Game takes 50% of CPU according to Task Manager even when doing "nothing" such as bringing up the Menu option as a pseudo-pause for the tactical game.

No wonder sluggish

Might be better if you install a newer driver for your video-chip and also sound-chip.
Also directX Novembre 08-version wouldn`t harm.......... ;)

Fronobulax

Postby Fronobulax » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:53 pm

"Manni" wrote:No wonder sluggish

Might be better if you install a newer driver for your video-chip and also sound-chip.
Also directX Novembre 08-version wouldn`t harm.......... ;)

Thanks. :o
I just did upgrade the video driver. I have not bothered to do anything about the sound driver yet since I turn off all of the sound. The software ought to be smart enough to know the volume is off and not use any resources for sound, right? ;)
I'm not sure what you mean by the November 08 version of Direct X. The listing I posted did list a number of Microsoft DLLs with an 11/26/2008 date and when I went to Microsoft and what was supposed to be the latest Direct X, installing it found nothing to change or upgrade. Perhaps there is something newer that does not run on Windows XP and/or my laptop's graphics hardware?

Having upgraded the driver, I will play the game some more and see if the sluggishness is gone.

Thanks.

Manni

Postby Manni » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:03 pm

here is the directX 9 novemb 08:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=886acb56-c91a-4a8e-8bb8-9f20f1244a8e

unpack, install, find the exe, execute it. When done all you can delete the whole lot.

"Fronobulax" wrote: the sound software ought to be smart enough to know the volume is off and not use any resources for sound, right? ;)

its never smart as to do that
Last edited by Manni on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:55 am

Turning off the speakers doesn't change anything, the sound chip continues to run regardless of the speakers being on/off. If the stuttering continues try shutting down some of the programs running in the background.

Fronobulax

Postby Fronobulax » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:59 am

Manni - I downloaded and installed the Direct X you linked to and as far as I can tell nothing changed except the timestamp when various English Final Retail versions were installed. If you were just giving me the generic advice to update, then OK, but if you saw something that made you think my Direct X was out of date then you need to tell me specifically what you saw since dxdiag is not showing any changes that I see as significant.

Manni/Rnett - did you miss the ;) ? I know it doesn't make sense to use the sound volume as an indication that the user requires no audio. I guess I need to work on my humor delivery.

Thanks.

Manni

Postby Manni » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:38 pm

According to your dxdiag you have: Realtek HD Audio output

Give a sounddriver from 2008 a chance!

Go to: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

choose High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)

put a mark in "I accept the above" , then NEXT

download driverversion: R2.10 from 2008/12/1 seize: 129106k

--------------------------

go here for a NEW driver from 2008 fitting your Mobile Intel Graphic Chip:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2301&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!
Last edited by Manni on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fronobulax

Postby Fronobulax » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:23 am

The game still runs like a pig. Maybe I forgot to read the minimum hardware requirements? In any event, I have updated my sound and video drivers and confirmed I have the latest DirectX, so once again I post DxDiag.txt.

Manni

Postby Manni » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:36 am

Good job done!

Both new drivers are installed.

Still piggish running?
Next to look at would be the senseless stuff which is started with system-booting.
Have you ever checked that?

Return to “Community Technical Support”