Rankings

All discussion regarding the world of Sabah
dreadmime

Postby dreadmime » Tue May 12, 2009 11:28 pm

I'd show my cities, I got up to 245, I think, before really I just kinda got bored of logging on once a week to check on the progress of my goods, maybe try to trade a little for some goods i was too lazy to buy, and buy a bunch of crap off the market because I had so much bread. I was making 1200 bread / hr in my cap, * 24 = almost 30K / day * 7 = around 200K bread / week beyond the half million you need to go immortal, so every week I was buying 200K worth of goods off the market, trading 1400 boats worth of goods on the wall, then coming back in a week. Honestly, the game loses a /lot/ once you're near the end of the game, and trading 25K of a good "for the sake of feeling like you did something" doesn't even annoy you if you DID get burned.

So... since I already had more than i needed to go immortal, I just decided to "go for it" and be done with this miserable failure of a game.

It had such high hopes, and such wonderful potential, and then it just seems like all the steam ran out as it approached live.

GaSplat
Location: Splat's Crib 159N on Sabah - where the tools of war can be found ;)

Postby GaSplat » Wed May 13, 2009 3:50 am

I am not quite so down on it, but if I were ranked 10 or higher I would be out already as the challenges just aren't there anymore. Getting into top 10 is the last challenge, and with folks who have been playing forever just hanging around it makes it a lot harder. I have a plan, so who knows, but the moment I get there, I'm outta here. And if it looks like just hangning around and waiting for them to die is the only way, then I will probably bail before making it.

Something about buying garbage I don't need just to stay under the bread cap strikes me as stupid. I am sure some folks are still enjoying the game at the maxed out point, but I don't get it. Feels like its just more of a social thing for them which makes me think - so start over. But I guess they are enjoying it so more power to them.

Guess I could create several thousand soldiers and fix my excess bread issue that way....... (boring).

GaSplat

Postby GaSplat » Mon May 18, 2009 5:17 am

I goofed and started filling buy orders and stuff in a kind of "going out of business sale" (privately advertised to my trade partners ;) ) so the following amounts should be added in for a real comparison to sakasiru's post.
Oil: 7,000
Cedar: 20,000
Bronze: 14,900
Bricks: 60,000
Henna: 28,000
Emeralds: 37,500
Leather: 5,000
Kohl: 5,000
So about 117.5k raws and 60k of bricks in addition to what you see here.

Total bread was 5,167,797. Went immortal at a rank of 9.

What bumped me up the ranks fastest and most consistently was a combination of two things:
- Selling large quantities of items at above opportunity cost (but sometimes not much above, just enough to stay above after market fees)
- Upgrading whatever was quickest to upgrade (after maxing out luxury raw material plot, wheat, and bread and having other stuff wherever I needed them. For me this was underdeveloped markets in my three "newer" cities, barracks, and towards the end, some of the smaller shops.

I also got the impression that ships helped as maxing out ships in my capital (never completely rebuilt the fleet after city 4 because I trade more locally) seemed to help push me from #11 straight to #9 after several days of only one rank a day gains.

My conclusion is that tons of bread is good. Upgrading plots faster than the competition helps. Ships probably help. Lux goods maybe help some but aren't critical, and lux raw, well, not so much.

Forgot to screen shot my main screen but I had very few battles (took two plots from bandits is all) but I did donate a ton. Last couple days I almost donated as much as I would benefit from the bonus, so yeah, I got a little stupid and had a healthy six digit donation number - but I don't think that was a big driver. I did contribute a lot to fight raiders and donated a lot to build steles as well. But the numbers here are fairly minimal given their infrequency.

Getting a handle on what really drives rank is tough to say since it appears to be multi-faceted. Note that my baby city only reached level 21. I think I got a bigger boost after I stopped upgrading it's palace - wheat - bread and just focused on all the little "quick hit" upgrades it offered. Bottom line though is: who knows? :) Comparison with sakasiru's post should be interesting. Don't recall what her rank was at the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GaSplat

Postby GaSplat » Mon May 18, 2009 5:33 am

Oh yeah, had to sneak a peek and post this one. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Siptah
Location: Fürth, Germany | Immortal in Sabah | as Men Maat Ra in Sabah & Theoris now

Postby Siptah » Mon May 18, 2009 12:22 pm

Congratulations GaSplat !

and as i see you restarted arlready then ? Congrats on that too :D

GaSplat

Postby GaSplat » Mon May 18, 2009 1:22 pm

Sadly, my "sneakpeek" account lasted just about long enough to take that screen shot. :) While I did consider restarting, I need to focus more time elsewhere for a while, though I do plan on returning at some point to try out my widely spaced cities strategy. Besides, I got Bronze :p ;)

abana

Postby abana » Mon May 18, 2009 1:34 pm

I am going immortal as soon as I can. I am 219 right nowand I am not going to wait for rank(well, if I have everything, and I am at 105, I might, hopfully, it won't take long enough for me to get to where I am looking at top 10). I currently have a 17, and 3 13's,

Anyone want to see if they can figure out how to hurry the upgrades? I'll get out of everyone's hair sooner that way. I plan on restarting. GaSplat, I am going to take whatever I get, but I am hoping for bronze.

GaSplat

Postby GaSplat » Mon May 18, 2009 1:43 pm

LOL - the whining about what I got part was a joke, and the location did look appealing (60S was practically bustling compared to my old digs). But that account was intended just to take a snapshot. Got other priorities I need to work for now. :( In retrospect the rank up was easier than I expected. I could have possibly gone higher but it was time to go and after making all that noise about top ten players hanging around and tying up the big pyramid exit slots, I really figured I should go ahead and kick the bucket. :)

abana

Postby abana » Mon May 18, 2009 1:53 pm

I thought that you were joking about the bronze, weren't you the one who posted about bronze enabling you to tell when war is brewing, that is why I think that I migt go for all bronze, at least the cities with the monuments will be.

I kind of gathered from your post that ou have some RL issues right now, isn't it terrible that it can complicate things?

I think that if you hadn't done it honorably, someone would have found a way to help.

GaSplat

Postby GaSplat » Mon May 18, 2009 8:23 pm

I have a love hate relationship with bronze. Sometimes its a steady seller, but later it became less so. It can be an indicator that someone is planning to start a fight, but that would not be a reason in my mind to go with all bronze cities :eek:

I sold most of my bronze on the market and used very little. Whenever I get a chance for another go round I hope to avoid leather and bronze (my first two cities this time). Cedar and lots of ships will be important to me but otherwise I want henna and ems/gold. Or maybe kohl oil cedar ems/gold. Depends on what I start with. If I start on bronze or leather, then it will be cedar, ems/gold, henna. :)

Deguar

Postby Deguar » Tue May 19, 2009 4:38 am

"GaSplat" wrote:I have a love hate relationship with bronze. Sometimes its a steady seller, but later it became less so. It can be an indicator that someone is planning to start a fight, but that would not be a reason in my mind to go with all bronze cities :eek:

I sold most of my bronze on the market and used very little. Whenever I get a chance for another go round I hope to avoid leather and bronze (my first two cities this time). Cedar and lots of ships will be important to me but otherwise I want henna and ems/gold. Or maybe kohl oil cedar ems/gold. Depends on what I start with. If I start on bronze or leather, then it will be cedar, ems/gold, henna. :)

Well I hope you get luckier than me.

I started on leather in Sabah
Got Cedar in Theoris
When I hit immortality in Sabah and restarted I got placed at 6N surrounded by a bunch of folks whose only interest was bread for immortality. Hence prices on the market for basic goods like bricks were 1/2 per, luxury goods were 7/8. Now you would think that would be a good thing allowing you to buy stuff cheap...but if you can't sell anything it's very hard to accumulate bread especially when the vast majority of the listings were in quantities of 1000s.

However I also got leather AGAIN and I really wanted to go down a different route this time.

I decided to stick it out for a while, managed about 12 sales of 100 leather overall but production is very slow in the beginning. I did pick up some bricks/pottery/baskets for 1/2 per but it would take me a day or two to save up enough to buy em and it was fairly horribly frustrating especially with the limited warehouse capacities. Thus I had a level 7 warehouse and a level 6 palace before opening my second city which I placed on Henna which was my secret hope for starting resource. Before I had even finished my L2 palace in the second city I decided "why bother with leather again" and gave up on Sabah completely :(

DustysMomma

Postby DustysMomma » Fri May 22, 2009 3:53 pm

"GaSplat" wrote:I have a love hate relationship with bronze.

I got bronze in Theoris, wish I had gotten henna/oil/gold/emeralds/leather instead. Even cedar would have been nice! Right now I'm struggling to keep enough bread, which is my own fault because I keep shopping the clearance racks on the market & buying anything below production cost, but making sculpture is just not profitable. Outside of that, I have a few daily trades, but seem to struggle to get what I need at times because bronze is not as in demand, or at least people aren't asking me for it alot.

"Deguar" wrote:Well I hope you get luckier than me.

I started on leather in Sabah
Got Cedar in Theoris
When I hit immortality in Sabah and restarted I got placed at 6N surrounded by a bunch of folks whose only interest was bread for immortality. Hence prices on the market for basic goods like bricks were 1/2 per, luxury goods were 7/8. Now you would think that would be a good thing allowing you to buy stuff cheap...but if you can't sell anything it's very hard to accumulate bread especially when the vast majority of the listings were in quantities of 1000s.

However I also got leather AGAIN and I really wanted to go down a different route this time.

I decided to stick it out for a while, managed about 12 sales of 100 leather overall but production is very slow in the beginning. I did pick up some bricks/pottery/baskets for 1/2 per but it would take me a day or two to save up enough to buy em and it was fairly horribly frustrating especially with the limited warehouse capacities. Thus I had a level 7 warehouse and a level 6 palace before opening my second city which I placed on Henna which was my secret hope for starting resource. Before I had even finished my L2 palace in the second city I decided "why bother with leather again" and gave up on Sabah completely :(

This is what I worry about with coming back after immortality. Even though it will be nice to be closer to center, will you be able to get the smaller amounts of what you need?

My goal is to go immortal before I go on vacation August 26th. Those who know me know that I have been attending school online. Well I finish my associates degree August 30th, but start my bachelors on September 14th, which I hear is a completely different ballgame. I've had the time, and needed the escape, but will I still have time when I start back? I think that will be the determining factor for me. I plan to start over, but whether I stay or not, who knows?

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Sat May 23, 2009 10:01 am

The way Sabah is now, there is little point in returning. Happy studies! :)

Deguar

Postby Deguar » Sat May 23, 2009 10:25 am

"joshofet" wrote:The way Sabah is now, there is little point in returning. Happy studies! :)

The worry is..will Theoris end up the same way as the ramp up towards immortality starts. Bricks/pottery/baskets getting dumped at 1/2 per, Luxury goods getting dumped at 5/6 per because bread is needed more than anything else. Nome developmental levels suddenly becoming insufficient, empty limestone plots for the taking. Restarting and either getting swamped with goods from soon to be immortals or finding it nigh on impossible to get a paltry 17 perfume.

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Sat May 23, 2009 1:07 pm

It's a relevant point that has never been tested; can this game result in a world that is in a stationary state allowing for interesting gameplay for all level players? Both Sabah and Theoris have had an explosive start, with a big wave of players evolving their empires more or less in parallel. The rules and the audience have changed, so Theoris is different from Sabah, but in this aspect it is similar. Sabah knew periods where players thought the game was becoming boring, but it showed some surprising resilience. Maybe Theoris does so too, I wouldn't give up on it yet. Sabah died so Theoris could live, maybe it will see a revival when the big first wave in Theoris starts hitting immortality. That will be quite soon.

DustysMomma

Postby DustysMomma » Mon May 25, 2009 1:56 am

joshofet....thanks for the encouragement about school. I think that when people start hitting immortality the worlds may level out. Not to mention they are working on a thrid world at some point. I think the key is to get and keep people involved and interested in the game. One thing that I think had happened that has lessened this though is the lengthening of upgrade times. I think this is one change that should be rolled back along with the addition of random events or the promised quests. On the other hand, I'll be back just to see what else they do add.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue May 26, 2009 11:07 am

"joshofet" wrote:The way Sabah is now, there is little point in returning.

I am on Sabah II & having a ball!

In Sabah I ~ I had Bronze, Leather, Henna, Emeralds.

Theoris, I have Emeralds (yuck a repeat), Cedar, Kohl & 4th will be Oil. Always something new & different.

Sabah II, I landed on Gold for the final missing ingredient. Life is good! Sabah II is quite different with an evolved Immortality-level base & very interesting. Everyone really should try it for the experience! It is a hoot!

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Tue May 26, 2009 12:04 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:... Sabah II is quite different with an evolved Immortality-level base & very interesting. Everyone really should try it for the experience! It is a hoot!

For some reason I thought that only the original betas could have an account there and it wasn't open to new people. But I just tried it and I'm on Sabah now too with Bronze

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue May 26, 2009 12:30 pm

"Herodotus" wrote:For some reason I thought that only the original betas could have an account there and it wasn't open to new people. But I just tried it and I'm on Sabah now too with Bronze

Bravo! I'm Tinkerbell Returnz in Sabah II in 12N. Of course I was not an alpha. Sabah II is now open to everyone. Ignore earlier posts, that while true at the time, are no longer operative. ;)

Enjoy! :)

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:21 am

Yes enjoy and beware of pirates. :D

Return to “World - Sabah”