Sabah Trade Wall Help

All discussion regarding the world of Sabah
Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:33 pm

"joshofet" wrote:I don't think Jeff is promoting vigilantes, Abana, I do think he says it is everybody's, or indeed our collective responsibilty, and that if Mark hadn't played the fool so often, people would listen when he says something sensible..

and right on queue, another forum clown (who claims to have me on ignore) jumps in to insult again.

Bravo! :rolleyes:

abana

Postby abana » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:34 pm

I had meant just what you are saying Joshofet. Maybe "police" isn't the right word, "regulate" seems better.

I agree about Mark having played the fool so often being the cause of this.

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Oh dear, more arguing

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary wrote:
Main Entry:
1po·lice Listen to the pronunciation of 1police
Pronunciation:
\pə-ˈlēs\
Function:
transitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
po·liced; po·lic·ing
Etymology:
in sense 1, from Middle French policier, from police conduct of public affairs; in other senses, from 2police
Date:

1archaic : govern
2: to control, regulate, or keep in order by use of police
3: to make clean and put in order
4 a: to supervise the operation, execution, or administration of to prevent or detect and prosecute violations of rules and regulations b: to exercise such supervision over the policies and activities of
5: to perform the functions of a police force in or over

Lost Wanderer

Postby Lost Wanderer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:38 pm

When I saw Mark's post a couple of days ago I started to reply and then stopped myself.

While I am guilty of chatting on the Trade wall in Sabah, and was forming an argument regarding why this was okay, I realized that there was some merit in his post. I've been on the trade wall in Sabah, by myself, sometimes for hours. If we (all of us, nobody in particular) didn't chat there, it would become an advertising-like tool, and may help many of us accomplish trades when we're off-line.

The problem I have experienced with people trying to trade with me minutes or hours after I have left the trade wall is that I receive multiple trades. Being small, I can't cover everybody who decided to be helpful. I end up being the recipient of goods wasn't expecting to receive, and can't repay without changing my plan. Quite simply, the trade wall is unable to act like an advertising tool because nobody knows when the order has been filled.

In Theoris, where 10 or 20 people at a time may be trying to trade, if 5 or 10 people were having general conversations, I can see how the chat would become a significant impediment to trade. But in Sabah, where my all-time high of people on the trade wall at one time is 7, and all of us were making trades and chatting at the same time, I really don't get the issue.

Ultimately I think op's idea has merit, but with the current functionality of the trade wall, it creates the op's (and many others) hated gifting situation. I certain the op doesn't want to encourage gifting...although more gifting could be more fuel for that conversation.

I could be wrong, but I think the op likes to stir the pot, really likes TM in general, and believes that any activity is good activity. I'm certain he will continue to chat on the trade wall in Sabah, and I know I will - Joyee and I have some of the best conversations on the trade wall. :p

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:01 pm

Good post, Lost Wanderer. Thank you for your thoughts!

The only objection was your last paragraph about stirring the pot. The pot-stirrers in this thread are abana, joshofet & Amun Nefer. ;)

Fenehk

Postby Fenehk » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:27 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:and right on queue, another forum clown (who claims to have me on ignore) jumps in to insult again.

Bravo! :rolleyes:

Huh, I thought you'd like that. That's exactly the kind of thing you tend to jump in and do, and you seem to get fond of people that are exactly like you.

As for the whole what's the protocol deal, when I wanna trade, I go to the Trade wall. And if no one's trading on the Trade wall, I tell them to get the heck out because I can't find any deals with them there. So... Yeah. That works pretty well. If there ARE no trades going on, I guess I couldn't care less where people do their thing. And I don't mind the occational trade on the General wall. I think it's fine when trades spontaneously spring up in there, like when people talk about how expensive a fourth city is and someone goes "Yeah, but I actually made too many bricks" and suddenly someone else says "Hey! I need bricks! Gimme!", that's all fine and dandy. But if your sole purpose is to look for trades, that's what the Trade wall is for. It's useful because eventual trade offers people may be interested in don't get spammed away by irrelevant chatter - and the irrelevant but still very interesting chatter doesn't get drowned in annoying, repeated trade requests.

[edit]
"Tinkerbell" wrote:The pot-stirrers in this thread are abana, joshofet, Amun Nefer & Fenehk. ;)

Fixed.
[/edit]

Lost Wanderer

Postby Lost Wanderer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:
The only objection was your last paragraph about stirring the pot. The pot-stirrers in this thread are abana, joshofet & Amun Nefer. ;)

My bad... I was hoping I wold get a ...dat's true.... I guess I fail. :cool:

/hijack thread
Massive kudos to all the care & effort from you on C4 Mark. Many of your posts and sandbox experiments were a benefit to me, and I never thanked you. So, thank you.
/end hijack

hbk 00

Postby hbk 00 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:08 am

Hi Tinker! Isn't it nice to see how many people that there is that love you here on this game? :p

And, for what I have to say, It's late here and I'm tired, so will try and keep it as short and simple as I can, and not bring up every little thing you've said in this thread that I could go on about for days and just say...

First of all, your whole point is that people chat on the trade wall? You mentioned that even though the general wall is dead, people that try trade there are told to move, yes, I agree with that, and yes, I've seen people on the Trade wall ask people chatting to move to the General wall, and the chatters did. But...I have not seen the one person that is making the whole argument about people doing this, EVER ask anyone once to move to the General wall due to trading (Yes, I know you'll say you have.) Yet still, I have NEVER seen you ask anyone to move walls, all it takes is nicely asking people nicely to move over, and they will.

Also, my second point...

If you find the Chat Wall soo annoying because of people chatting there, then here's a simple solution, don't use it. From what I can see, I'm guessing about 75% of players (Just a guess, not accurate) don't use the trade/general wall, it's not necesary to use it, so why complain when you can get along fine without? No I am not asking you to stop using it, you're free to use the walls all you like, but why complain when it's not compulsary?

P.S. I have a pot, and I'm not afraid to stir it :D

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:23 am

"Lost Wanderer" wrote:My bad... I was hoping I wold get a ...dat's true.... I guess I fail. :cool:

Dat's not a fact, Jack!

:cool:

Massive kudos to all the care & effort from you on C4 Mark. Many of your posts and sandbox experiments were a benefit to me, and I never thanked you. So, thank you.

We had some fun, didn't we? <blush>

Thank You!

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:23 am

I always thought it was dat's a fact *hick* Jack. You're talking to that brown bottle in your hand right? :) Edit: Forgot to put this: "Sorry couldn't resist."

But but if we don't stir the pot all the spaghetti will stick together. :(
Last edited by Amun Nefer on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

joshofet

Postby joshofet » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:04 pm

Would you please stop quoting Mark, now it doesn't help that I have him on my ignore list, I still have to read the nonsense he writes. If you find he is writing something sensible, then by all means make a quote, I wouldn't want to miss that!

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:19 pm

"hbk 00" wrote: But...I have not seen the one person that is making the whole argument about people doing this, EVER ask anyone once to move to the General wall due to trading (Yes, I know you'll say you have.) Yet still, I have NEVER seen you ask anyone to move walls, all it takes is nicely asking people nicely to move over, and they will.

This is correct. I have not asked anyone on the walls to change how they post in-game.

If you find the Chat Wall soo annoying because of people chatting there,...

You have missed my entire point.

then here's a simple solution, don't use it.

This is the entire problem. Your attitude.

From what I can see, I'm guessing about 75% of players (Just a guess, not accurate) don't use the trade/general wall,

This is the entire reason why I made this thread. Are they not using it, cuz of the chatting? Would reducing the chatting increase the number of players using it? AND, it is not just the chatting, it is the type of non-game related chatting & how much of it there was. The nonsense chatting just to waste bandwidth. Chatting posts cause the trade posts to be scrolled off the screen. When I go to the Trade Wall, I always scroll down to look for other traders, so I can respond & if no answer, I scroll them. Chatting, makes these trade posts disappear faster due to the limited size of the wall & how long posts remain there.

Chatting comes in all forms, some better & interesting to all readers & some not. Also, it is not a matter of chatting per se, it is the location when there is a General Wall for unlimited chatting of all kinds. I even am against any censorship of outrageous topics I have seen on the General Walls in both worlds that we have complaints threads about on this forum. I believe that anything goes on the General Wall & this is how it should be. The Trade Wall is different ~ it is a special wall.

it's not necesary to use it,

It is not necessary to use it in a small world with few players? Are you serious?

so why complain when you can get along fine without? No I am not asking you to stop using it, you're free to use the walls all you like, but why complain when it's not compulsary?

You just did exactly that ~ your quote "then here's a simple solution, don't use it." ~ your words.

This is the problem in many parts of the game, from people like you. "If you don't like what we do, then just get lost".
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:35 pm

"joshofet" wrote:Would you please stop quoting Mark, now it doesn't help that I have him on my ignore list, I still have to read the nonsense he writes. If you find he is writing something sensible, then by all means make a quote, I wouldn't want to miss that!

Apologies Josh. :) (Not sure if a post like that will ever show up, but you never know. :rolleyes :)

Yttap

Trade and Barter

Postby Yttap » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:49 pm

I don't know how many that play this game actually use trade and barter in their real lives. I believe trade and barter are great tools in real life, and the skills could be developed by anyone.
Trade demands communication, and good trading develops over time. In real life, you don't just jump in a trade. you develope relationships, which make trade all the sweeter.

I find the trade wall in Theoris abrupt and cold- might as well be playing with computer generated aardvarks. Sabah is a place where you can savor the people you are playing with- like a fine wine.
Theoris is a place to slam back a generic soda. (with artificial sweetener.)

I'll continue to chat when the time is right, and back off if someone wants to trade. I have noticed that often when people get irritated by chatters, that they don't have anything someone wants, or that they come in after the deals are done.
It's a game. A GAME

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:30 am

Oh very much so Yttap, there are such practices as addressing the other person as friend or brother (not so much sister in most places). There is also not much haggling on the trade wall. It could work for people to use both trade and general at the same time, but they might forget to switch back and forth.

LeighLe1gh
Location: In Colorado on the Palmer Divide North of the Air Force Academy

I am sure that I am guilty of being one of the "chatters" on the trade wall

Postby LeighLe1gh » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:43 am

However I too believe that there is an art to trade and barter. I normally go on the wall by watching to see the posts and to get a feeling for what is being traded. When I approach the wall with WTT ........ I rarely get a response. When I say a polite hello to those I know and greet the wall followed by a request for trade items I almost always get a response even if it is not the response I had hoped for. I to have found that I much prefer trading in Sabah to the cold and distant place that Theoris has become.

And yes I am one of those people who take up multiple lines when I am trying to trade. I never had any idea that it was negatively impacting trade on the wall by eliminating more records of requests. It just happens that I don't keyboard particularly well and I have arthritis so in order to enter into a trade I try and respond immediately to a request for a trade and then I have a few minutes to type in a response with what I have to offer. If anyone had ever made a request to have us move to the general wall and trade there we would have. But no such request has ever been made.

The most important part of the game for me is the networking. Meeting people all over the world is fantastic. Making friends on the trade board and gifting those who need it. I don't comprehend why that is a problem? I do not have a "God Complex" and have never felt that those who have gifted others or who contact me through scrolls (as I do when I need something - I frequently contact others in my Nome to trade) are in any way causing harm. I can only handle so many 24 hour trades - I do not have unlimited ships and Hapi demands her payment.

I had trade partners and people I considered friends - however virtual they may have been - who had every intention of not going immortal and waiting to see what would happen when the envoys came. I was away for a week and when I came back they had gone immortal or disappeared. Now I wonder if they were driven away by the discord being expressed here. Yes everyone plays the game his or her own way but it is a GAME.

Bye the way can someone enlighten me as to what op's are?

abana

Postby abana » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:50 am

Op is "original poster", and don't worryTinkerbelle is never satisfied,

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:52 am

That's not true C, if you do exactly as he asks, then he is quite satisfied. :)

abana

Postby abana » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:54 am

Not really, cause he also says that everyone should play his own game.

Amun Nefer

Postby Amun Nefer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:09 am

lol, and if you somehow will yourself to play the game by his rules then I'm sure he'll be nice. :D

Return to “World - Sabah”