4%

Total votes: 47

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:51 pm

Be careful Asterisk, I did not say that. Look again

See how easy it is to misrepresent somebody even unintentionally

Asterix~

Postby Asterix~ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:26 am

"Herodotus" wrote:However suppose, just suppose that Tinkerbell is not lying, but the victim of slur, innuendo, rumour and is merely reacting to it.

I suppose I interpreted that phrase as being your opinion. My apologies for the mistake.

immexia09

Time to reset Sabah

Postby immexia09 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:08 pm

Its something that will come to us all soon enough It seems a small step but huge when you actually try and do it. Congrats for having the courage ;

You will be missed from K58 but enjoy your new freedom and all the time :D

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Voted no. Sabah is still a Beta test vehicle, ergo, no reason.

Cazy

Postby Cazy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:00 am

Really? What does it test?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:42 pm

"Cazy" wrote:Really? What does it test?

How long abandoned accounts w/o inactive immunity can stay on inactive, how long abandoned accounts with inactive immunity can stay on inactive & how long abandoned accounts can stay on vacation? :rolleyes:

There is no testing going on in Sabah. None, zip, NADA.

Sabah desperately needs a server sweep. Last one was in September. TM stopped doing server sweeps in Sabah.

Theoris has regular server sweeps every five days.

Pretty soon Sabah will show as many accounts as Theoris. It is a HUGE lie. It takes up space for New Players & forces them out into the Wilderness.

Sabah Nome 1N currently... 11 accounts ~ only THREE active

Please clean out all the Sabah dead weight, TM!

~ ~ ~

Uh, tomnobles, you responded to a spammer who brought this thread back up to current.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Uh, I didn't respond to anyone. Just made an attempt to get the thread back on track.

By the way Sabah is still for testing. Any changes (patches, etc.) are to be tested here before being implemented in Theoris. Of course that was what Reed said and he is no longer here. However, I assume the person who took his place is going by the same process.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:10 pm

"tomnobles" wrote:Uh, I didn't respond to anyone. Just made an attempt to get the thread back on track.

Well, the thread died cuz no one wants Sabah reset. Dumb idea, cuz we have New Players here. TM just needs to clean out the garbage so we can have more New Players. Wilderness players give up & quit if they are too far from the Center with so few players.

TM also needs to remove the stupid "beta" label on Sabah cuz that scares New Players away.

By the way Sabah is still for testing. Any changes (patches, etc.) are to be tested here before being implemented in Theoris. Of course that was what Reed said and he is no longer here. However, I assume the person who took his place is going by the same process.

Nile is a complete game. No more programming going into it. TM has moved on.

I would guess that TM right now is trying to sell a new game idea to a publisher so they can hire more staff. That is what I would do.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Q-Man

Postby Q-Man » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:41 pm

I tend to agree with the notion of cleaning out the dead, but my concerns are:
(1) some events require a minimum number of cities (like nubian raiders). Two of my cities can no longer get them and the third is hanging by a thread thanks to the inactives/quasi permanent vacations. Without them, life would be even duller.
(2) The algorithm for scattering population appears to struggle a little with getting a good distribution and not dumping folks into the empty abyss - and I don't think many are joining Sabah anyway. Why join the Beta if you can join the final production? That may be worth more of a look - hard to tell from my Peon's Eye view.
(3) There is little to test because new content is not coming out.

I think Sabah needs to naturally shrink (lower limits on max num of nomes North and South) and the new account distribution process checked to help keep things more vibrant. but truth is they want and need developed areas and less developed areas as the game plays differently for both. Heck, some strategies are centered on this and taking advantage of the differences in the markets. A reset may not really make anything better - just chase away those who didn't want to simply start over from scratch. If that's what you want to do - it's easy. Go immortal/delete your account, and start fresh (in either world).

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:30 am

"Q-Man" wrote:(1) some events require a minimum number of cities (like nubian raiders). Two of my cities can no longer get them and the third is hanging by a thread thanks to the inactives/quasi permanent vacations. Without them, life would be even duller.

I have no idea who the idiot was who decided there must be a minimum player/palace level before we can get Nome Events. Perhaps TM did it this way cuz they had planned on having bandits actually attack cities, but that was abandoned by much yelling & screaming on this forum from a vocal few.

There should be no minimum requirements. If I have to fight bandits alone, then that will take a bit longer, but more profits for me!

Bandits are one of the highlights of the game & many are deprived of this outstanding fun! I use bandits to get my lux for 3rd & 4th cities. Bandits are a low ranking option & needed in poor nomes more than rich nomes. When I get to the late game, I no longer need them cuz I produce all the lux myself.

Remove it. Totally agree!

(2) The algorithm for scattering population appears to struggle a little with getting a good distribution and not dumping folks into the empty abyss

It starts at the Center & after 11 in a nome moves outwards. More or less. 9 left unpopulated for expansion with 2nd, 3rd & 4th cities as it should be. If the dead accounts were removed, the Center would start to be populated again.

and I don't think many are joining Sabah anyway. Why join the Beta if you can join the final production? That may be worth more of a look - hard to tell from my Peon's Eye view.

It's the stupid "beta" label. No difference between the servers.

Remove it.

~ ~ ~

and again, if TM turned the Sabah weekly server sweeps back on, most of Sabah's problems would disappear.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:52 am, edited 11 times in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:03 am

"Tinkerbell" wrote:There should be no minimum requirements. If I have to fight bandits alone, then that will take a bit longer, but more profits for me!

Bandits are one of the highlights of the game & many are deprived of this outstanding fun! I use bandits to get my lux for 3rd & 4th cities. Bandits are a low ranking option & needed in poor nomes more than rich nomes. When I get to the late game, I no longer need them cuz I produce all the lux myself.

Oh yes, I absolutely love getting bandits! It is such a shame that those in less populated nomes do not get to take part in this aspect of the game. In Sabah, the bandits got me most of the lux I needed for my 4th city. In Theoris, I did not have bandits for weeks and I really missed them! When they did finally arrive, too late to help with my 4th city lux, I still jumped in and put in about 80% of the soldiers. I don't see why there has to be a minimum requirement at all. If you don't want to do bandits, just don't!

It starts at the Center & after 11 in a nome moves outwards. More or less. 9 left unpopulated for expansion with 2nd, 3rd & 4th cities as it should be. If the dead accounts were removed, the Center would start to be populated again.

In Sabah when you scroll through the nomes the number of inactive and vacation players is staggering. It is not uncommon in a nome of 11 cities to have only 3 or 4 active. Get rid of the dead wood and let new players be nearer to the centre, not miles away with empty markets and little possibility of close trades!

and again, if TM turned the Sabah weekly server sweeps back on, most of Sabah's problems would disappear.

Yes indeed! Why is that not done in Sabah as it is in Theoris?

thechris

Postby thechris » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:29 pm

i think a few are confused, because sometimes your talking about a complete resest and other times a a sweep of inactives

balthazarr

Rotten Even Minimums

Postby balthazarr » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:20 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:I have no idea who the idiot was who decided there must be a minimum player/palace level before we can get Nome Events. Perhaps TM did it this way cuz they had planned on having bandits actually attack cities, but that was abandoned by much yelling & screaming on this forum from a vocal few.

There should be no minimum requirements. If I have to fight bandits alone, then that will take a bit longer, but more profits for me!

Remove it. Totally agree!

There are two Nome Events...
Traders/Wheat Stele - This event requires 8 cities to occur.
Bandit Outposts - This event requires 9 cities to occur.

This is the primary reason why I have spent months recruiting people to my nomes, just to try to keep the game a bit more active.

balthazarr

The Shrinking of Sabah

Postby balthazarr » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Personally I think the best thing that could happen to Sabah would be a shrinking of the nile...

It would be great if TM ran a script, deleting every nome that has no cities, and then renumbering the nomes.

It probably would require the game to be taken off line for a few minutes while the database is rewritten.

This would pull everyone a bit closer to the middle, would help improve market trade (no totally dead nomes between you and other markets) and would to a small extent decrease transport times.

Another good thing would be to remove those pesky minimums that prevent events from triggering.

Q-Man

Postby Q-Man » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:41 am

"balthazarr" wrote:Personally I think the best thing that could happen to Sabah would be a shrinking of the nile...

It would be great if TM ran a script, deleting every nome that has no cities, and then renumbering the nomes.

It probably would require the game to be taken off line for a few minutes while the database is rewritten.

This would pull everyone a bit closer to the middle, would help improve market trade (no totally dead nomes between you and other markets) and would to a small extent decrease transport times.

Another good thing would be to remove those pesky minimums that prevent events from triggering.

Well said!

balthazarr

sweep of inactives... a bad idea

Postby balthazarr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 pm

With the current minimums for Nome events to occur, I would suspect that there are many nomes that are being propped up by inactives and can only continue to have nome events since their nome city numbers are inflated by the inactives.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:51 am

"balthazarr" wrote:With the current minimums for Nome events to occur, I would suspect that there are many nomes that are being propped up by inactives and can only continue to have nome events since their nome city numbers are inflated by the inactives.

You old accounts need to go immortal & restart. You are 81 years old for crying out loud!

This is the same philosophy that TM uses, what you are suggesting. Screw the majority to protect the Privileged Few.

I understand that sweeping out Sabah will cause temporary grief for some players, but it will return health to Sabah.

balthazarr

Postby balthazarr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:38 am

"Tinkerbell" wrote:You old accounts need to go immortal & restart. You are 81 years old for crying out loud!

The Pharaoh Ramses ll, known as Ramses the Great, died when he was 90 years old!
So... I have a few more years left in me to bet his record. ;)

"Tinkerbell" wrote:This is the same philosophy that TM uses, what you are suggesting. Screw the majority to protect the Privileged Few.

I understand that sweeping out Sabah will cause temporary grief for some players, but it will return health to Sabah.

How will this return Sabah to health? It will not help to shrink the nile, see above suggestion. Nor will it fix the way new accounts are distributed. Or fix the fact that many people are isolated and have more limited playing options because everyone around them is gone and they do not have nome events?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:43 am

balthazarr, you post like you are the norm, when you are the exception. All four of your cities are in the 200+ nomes. Your choice, when everyone else moved closer to the Center with additional cities.

This game is all about predicting the future & you did not do that well.

If you restarted the game today, you would be closer to the Center by a mile. If TM resumed server sweeps I guarantee you would be placed in the Center of the Nile.

EDIT: By the way, remember I also want the Nome Event minimums removed also. If not both fixes, I will take either one. Both would be the best.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:19 am

Well Sabah is a beta world so it is important to have all levels of cities there. If development every starts up again it will need the mature accounts to test with.
:cool:

Return to “World - Sabah”