Gifts

All discussion regarding the world of Theoris
hakla

Postby hakla » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:24 pm

Maybe if someone doesn't want gifts they could put NG or NGP after their city name. The way single city players do. Then when the gifter went to the transport icon they would see it.

Lost Wanderer

Postby Lost Wanderer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:17 pm

If gifters would stop selfishly forcing their 'kindness' on people who don't ask for it, it would solve the problem. Why can't the gifters, who claim to be doing something nice, actually do something nice and offer help instead of forcing it on people who don't want it.

bevus has a nice approach, he'll get on the trade wall and offer to gift anyone with a low level city and wait for a response.

I can hear the complaints now, "That's too much work. I just want to spam goods up and down the Nile. I don't care about anyone's game experience except mine, and I like giving things away. There's no rule about it, and I don't have to ask anyone about anything!"

Maybe we shouldn't call them gifters - takers sounds closer to the truth!

Muad'Dib

Thanks a lot!!! NOT!!!

Postby Muad'Dib » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Olivius went Immortal today, he just happend to be in the same freaking nome as me, never traded with him, never spoke a word with him, and still he gifts me:

Shipment of 688 clay , 358 reed , 10 wheat , 20 cedar, 3 limes, 903 henna , 500 ems, 1251 brix, 5215 baskets, 592 pots , 2201 sandals, 2 sculps, 200 cosm, 57 jewels from naima OCC (olivius) arrived at Techno

What's wrong with you so called generous ppl????? Don't you see you are MESSING UP!!! other ppl's game??

Thanks a lot Olivius!
Last edited by Muad'Dib on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fenehk

Postby Fenehk » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Ah, the infamous immortality ditch. I've seen so many people do that, and I've talked to so many people who were planning on doing so. It's funny, usually when people go "I might just send it all to a random noob in my nome", most of the general wall shouts "NO! DON'T DO THAT!!"

Still, people do it. I don't get why.

Nargule

Postby Nargule » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:36 am

Yesterday, I got the following message from Heqnetsa:
I'm going Immortal! So I would like to send all excess resources to other players. Please considered it as a gift and have fun with the game :) Don't worry the resources can excess their limited storage via trade.

Of course, I received a load of gifts.

Today, I get a scroll from SataatSennen:
I'm going Immortal! So I would like to send all excess resources to other players. Please considered it as a gift and have fun with the game :) Don't worry the resources can excess their limited storage via trade.

Sure enough: 20000 [kohl] , 4000 [leather] , 20000 [bricks] , 5000 [cosmetics] , 1000 [jewelry] coming from Bakthys-Hendis (arrival in 1h 50m [11:24 pm])

Is it odd that the scrolls match each other verbatim?

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:42 am

lol Obviously a clone (dual account)
:cool:

Fenehk

Postby Fenehk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:02 am

2000 [jewelry] coming from Kothanay (arrival in 9h 07m [5:02 am])

1000 [bronze] , 1000 [cedar] , 600 [kohl] , 1000 [gold] , 1000 [bread] , 1000 [bricks] , 1000 [baskets] , 1000 [pottery] , 1000 [cosmetics] coming from OCC - Golden Bow (arrival in 21h 34m [5:29 pm])

Thanks a lot, Nick and Para. Thanks a lot. The 2000 cedar I was forced to accept before didn't interrupt a lot. I don't produce cedar, after all. But now I have to shut down FIVE of my buildings until I can get rid of all this stuff. My entire city bar the bakery and wheat field will be useless. "keep the stuff in the warehouse and pass it on to the next new guy in the neighbourhood then", I was told. Aside from just passing on the same problem, with my amount of ships, it'd take six whole hours of constant clicking "send" to transfer all this to another city in the same nome, even.

SlipperyJim

Postby SlipperyJim » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:35 pm

FWIW, I just gave a small "welcome package" to a new player today. Someone else had already given him cedar, so I gave him bread, wheat, clay, and bricks. Nothing game-breaking ... but handy for a new player who hasn't gotten the basic infrastructure up-and-running yet.

But I did one thing differently: I asked first. "Would you like a small welcome package?" He answered that he would, so I loaded up the boats and clicked Send.

So now here's my new thoughts: Gifting is good. Gifting is very good, in fact, because it often shows a generous spirit. I am grateful for every single one of the gifts that I have received. After I go immortal (which will be a long time from now) and restart, I'll still appreciate the gifts. Gifting is good.

That said....

I recognize that some players feel very strongly about not wanting the gifts. And asking before I click Send isn't really such a big deal. So I'll ask first.

Also, I have already created my own personal "No Gifts EVAH!!!1!" list for people who have made this preference clear, and I won't give anything to them. Right now, there are two people on this list: Muad'Dib & Fenehk. If you want to be on my list, please PM me or send me an in-game scroll.

However....

The anti-gifts crowd would do well to recognize that gifters are simply trying to be nice. Okay, you don't like gifting. I get it. Now can we throw around a little less venom on the subject? I seriously doubt that gifters are trying to ruin anyone's game ... except for Tink's game perhaps. (He seems to have a knack for making enemies.) I know that my gifts are based on a simple motive: I was helped when I was a newbie, so now I want to help others.

Summary:
  • I'll still send gifts to new players.
  • But I'll ask before I send the gifts.
  • Can we please stop throwing insults at the gifters? We're not bad people, honestly.

This message has been a public service announcement on behalf of GAPT, Gifters Are People, Too!

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:55 pm

First of all, this thread is about asking before you gift. Read much?

"SlipperyJim" wrote:The anti-gifts crowd would do well to recognize that gifters are simply trying to be nice.

They are trying to destroy another player's game. They are already up there in rank & only gift cuz they have too many goods. This is the issue, not tiny gifts for New Players who want them.

Okay, you don't like gifting. I get it. Now can we throw around a little less venom on the subject? I seriously doubt that gifters are trying to ruin anyone's game ... except for Tink's game perhaps. (He seems to have a knack for making enemies.) I know that my gifts are based on a simple motive: I was helped when I was a newbie, so now I want to help others.

You are a terrible gamer, so you need gifts which are the same as using cheat codes.

I understand.

Now, as long as you admit that you had to have help to get ahead in the game & you are incapable of doing it yourself, then there is no problem with you receiving gifts.

As long as you never ask for kudos for where you are in the game, cuz once again, you are incapable of doing it fairly on your own via hard work, then there is no problem with you receiving gifts.

There is no difference between using cheat codes & receiving gifts. Each gets you free stuff you are not supposed to have via normal game playing. As long as you admit this up front and all through the game, then there is no problem with you receiving gifts.

It is that simple.

This is a very easy concept to understand, SlipperyJim. Even you can understand it, if you try real hard.

Many of us do not want gifts cuz we play for challenege. Stay out of our game space w/o asking first.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

SlipperyJim

Postby SlipperyJim » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:40 am

First of all, this thread is about asking before you gift. Read much?

Yes, and I just said that I'd do that. If someone needs to read more, I'm not sure that I'm the someone....

The rest of your post is a mixture of pointless paranoia and ad hominem attacks, so I won't bother to respond. Welcome back to my ignore list, Tink!

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:54 am

"SlipperyJim" wrote:Yes, and I just said that I'd do that. If someone needs to read more, I'm not sure that I'm the someone....

The rest of your post is a mixture of pointless paranoia and ad hominem attacks, so I won't bother to respond. Welcome back to my ignore list, Tink!

After a certain number of insult posts from you, I return the favor.

Pontius Pilatus

You are busted, TB.

Postby Pontius Pilatus » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:14 pm

Ha I got the latest report about our crooked friend T.B, his days of cheating and harassing us are finally over. Here's a picture of him just after the arrest:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
But it ain't necessarily so.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:37 pm

"Pontius Pilatus" wrote:Ha I got the latest report about our crooked friend T.B, his days of cheating and harassing us are finally over. Here's a picture of him just after the arrest:

Troll

Pontius Pilatus

?

Postby Pontius Pilatus » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:30 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Troll

?

Cheers!

deano

Gifts

Postby deano » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:44 pm

who was sending the gifts :cool:

Antikuity

The point of the thread, deano!

Postby Antikuity » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:02 am

"deano" wrote:who was sending the gifts :cool:

It does nae matter who it was. Some like to get gifts, others do nae. It is a player's choice as to whether he/she sends any or if he/she accepts them. This is just a way for some to relay that they think others to be cheating if they do accept a gift.
I, mineself, look at it as a neighborhood. When one moves in, the neighbors of the new one, if they are kindly people, that is, visit and bring pies and cakes or e'en full meals to aid the new one to get settled. That is why I gift. I do nae send thousands or hundreds, but only small amounts.
I canna think that anyone could hae played a whole game here without someone at sometime filling a partial ship or sending an extra hundred or so of a good just because they appreciate the trade. I canna say how many gifts I hae received acause of that practice. I do nae kick them in the teeth, but kindly tell them that it was nae necessary as I hae set mine prices and expected what we hae agreed on. Howe'er, there seem to be more of the ones who hae the kindly heart here than the ones who do nae, so I am a blessed woman acause of that.
Friendship is nae dead, I would think, e'en if it is a game.
Mayhaps it is. If so, then I am in the terrible wrong.
That is the way of it, dean'o. Someone wishes to let their opinion be heard to see what all others will throw at them. That is the purpose of a thread. They hae different reasons for doing so. Some just like to find things to stir the pot, ye see? Some are being truly helpful. Ye hae to decide on each thread what it is and why it is being posted. It is ye game, so if ye wish to gift, it should be ye option. If ye do nae wish to, then ye also hae that option. If the receiver does nae appreciate ye kindness, then that is their choice, also. They can just dump the goods on someone else or trade them for something they do need, or several hundred other things, lol.

Antikuity

OhhJim

Postby OhhJim » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:26 am

I had a situation with gifting, too. I offered to trade with someone, who then sent 10,000 limestone, 3,000 sandals, etc. She said I could "repay" the gifts with oil (my resource). So, for a week I sent her all my excess oil.

Meanwhile, she asked me a couple times if I had gone on a pilgrimage quest with the sandals (I was level 4-6). I asked about envoys, and she said they "just show up". Then, she started scolding me about how I was sending her oil. Apparently, I was supposed to send her a message every time I sent oil, because she was too busy to keep track.

I decided the best thing to do was quit and start over. Who wants to be scolded about not doing something I never wanted to do in the first place?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:24 am

"OhhJim" wrote:I had a situation with gifting, too. I offered to trade with someone, who then sent 10,000 limestone, 3,000 sandals, etc. She said I could "repay" the gifts with oil (my resource). So, for a week I sent her all my excess oil.

This is a common exploit played on the unknowing. They want you to become their oil slave, all for worthless limestone.

I decided the best thing to do was quit and start over. Who wants to be scolded about not doing something I never wanted to do in the first place?

Understand. I was slaughtered with gifts when I rejoined Sabah. I almost deleted my account also, but I had already purchased 60 scarabs & cleaned out the scarab store.

When I began Theoris II, I had to hide out even from friends, just so I could enjoy the start game.

However, the word is finally out & some are hearing our cries for gameplay freedom.

Hopefully, they will FINALLY get the message.

Thank You for adding your voice, OhhJim! :)

The gifters have lost every argument. They are the destroyers of games, not helpers.

Pontius Pilatus

Oh, I believe that one.

Postby Pontius Pilatus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:11 am

"Tinkerbell" wrote:

Understand. I was slaughtered with gifts when I rejoined Sabah. not helpers.

Gifts from your own double account, no less.

Quit the play, Tink, you are a cheat and the rest is BS.

Gifts are beautiful, but you turned it into a cheat, now leave us be.

Cheers!

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:53 am

"Pontius Pilatus" wrote:Gifts from your own double account, no less.

Quit the play, Tink, you are a cheat and the rest is BS.

Gifts are beautiful, but you turned it into a cheat, now leave us be.

Cheers!

Troll

Return to “World - Theoris”