War & Online Features

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
Ashkir

War & Online Features

Postby Ashkir » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:42 am

I'd love to see a bit more focus on war combat, building a military, and building a city's defenses.

And with an online server where we can challenge other players or attack other players. (Basically opt in our city to go against others). When on the online mode, I'd say the game has to have been cheat free.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:18 pm

War is important, but for me is very secondary in a city buiding.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:18 pm

"vic_4" wrote:War is important, but for me is very secondary in a city buiding.

I Agree.
A Mayor is a city manager, and therefore surely indicates a medieval city management game...
and hopefully that is what we will get: Medieval Mayor (and not Age of Kings or Stronghold)

PhilL

Postby PhilL » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:58 pm

war seems to have been a big part of medieval time I would expect it to be part of this game. There are many succesful games that balance some degree of City building/ management and war. I personally hope that war/crusades are included to some degree.

Khopesh Sidearm

Postby Khopesh Sidearm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:27 am

Somewhere on another thread I posted thoughts on this topic...I agree that this is meant to be about building and managing a city or town primarily, but I have always enjoyed the strategy and excitment of invasions and battle. I think it would be a shame if that was missing from MM. Certainly if it's a wafare game you want, maybe look somewhere else. But how you can have a medieval game without castles, knights and conquests, I don't know. Perhaps an option- like in previous games- to follow a more military campaign or a more economic one is the solution. Or maybe with complex gameplay any city could go either way - trade and alliances and being on good terms with the king could keep your city safe(r) from attack; a militant bearing and a 'come-at-me' attitude could put you in harm's way more often.

In my other post, my request was for better AI for any invaders, so I have clever, more adaptable foes to deal with instead of ones I can handle with the same tactics over and over. Also I was hoping for a variety of strengths and weaknesses in my own troops, instead of just aspiring to the heaviest soldiers all the time.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:13 pm

I personally like the current balance of citybuilding v. combat in the older games. While I am not against wargames, I have quite a few, it's not the reason I play games like citybuilders.

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:14 am

Yes very true but hard to imagine Caesar3 without any battles. I still think its the greatest of all CB games. The fighting in it was pretty well the best of all the CB games - in my opinion the war aspect got worse in following games and wasn't slightly enjoyable compared to C3. Medivial games would have to have something but certainly there would also be the opportunity to have completely peaceful missions and sandbox maps.

"vic_4" wrote:War is important, but for me is very secondary in a city buiding.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:16 am

In C3 the it was so easy to tell the soldier where to go. In later games it felt more and more difficult to get the soldiers to where I want. I still don't get how to move soldiers around properly in C4 which I have been playing recently.

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 am

Yeah i really hated the war aspect in Emperor and Zeus and even in Pharoah it was no were near as much fun as C3.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:25 am

Also with regards to online features. If it was something interesting I would not be opposed if it was voluntary. But don't just tack it on to have multiplayer.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:53 am

Having received a charter from the king, you must establish, build and govern your city, advancing education, culture, commerce, science and the arts, and providing for the health and prosperity of your citizens. As the city continues to grow, the challenge becomes greater - will your city become a beacon of hope and light to the known world, or will it fall back into darkness? Tilted Mill Entertainment proudly presents Medieval Mayor - real time city-building strategy in the Middle Ages!.

The dark ages are ending and a new day is dawning - it's the not so spectacular start of the glorious (if you do your job right!) Middle Ages. Your task is to bring the realm from the darkness of its feudal, warring past into the light of a new world of prosperity and culture. As mayor of a burgeoning medieval town you must build and grow the settlement into a thriving center of art, science, religion and government - all the while demonstrating to your beloved king and queen how great and prosperous the city is becoming, but lavishing gifts and tribute upon them, and fulfilling their needs and requests.

With its "easy to learn, difficult to master" gameplay and nearly infinite replayability, Medieval Mayor represents the best the city-building genre has to offer:

Features
•Real Time Strategy Gameplay
◦resource management
◦research
◦multiple paths to victory
◦endless replayability

•Classic City-Building
◦housing evolution
◦food & goods production
◦goals, requests, achievements
◦trade

•Rich Presentation
◦dozens of animated characters and buildings
◦crisp, colorful graphics
◦original musical score
◦simple user interface

It doesn't say a lot about warfare here.

PhilL

Postby PhilL » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:32 pm

As for an online part of the game something like nile online would be interesting. Trade/ barting/ attacks/persistant world would be fun. Using the game engine from the single player with 3d grafics and all the bells and whistles found there.

velociraptor2000

Postby velociraptor2000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 pm

While war wasnt really my favorite... maybe we will see something like C3/P armies ingame too. Still hope we can produce some weapons too, not that I want wars... but I love producing diferent goods.

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”