Terrain Shaping.

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
Ashkir

Terrain Shaping.

Postby Ashkir » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:44 am

It gets a bit annoying when you're trying to build a city to have a small hill in your way or a tree that you cannot remove. I'd like to have ways that we could remove these.

It can cost resources and you can devote workers to them to flatten the hill or to uproot the tree.

I'd say the rockier, the steeper, and the deeper the terrain is the more resources it'd cost to flatten it out.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:15 pm

In some ways, having to build around an obstruction can be considered part of the game's challenge, even if it ruins your perfect block or city design.

Modifying the terrain was discussed back in the early days after Caesar IV was announced. An example of early engineering feats along this sort of line is Trajan's market in Rome. It was a five story shopping center that built to stablize part of the hill that had been removed to make room for the colosseium, IIRC.

It would add some "depth" to the game if such projects could be included. I agree that they should consume considerable resources and take quite some time to complete.

The closest thing we've had to terrain modification/shaping was building the Grand Canal in Emperor Rise of the middle kingdom. A wide trench was excataved, then the trench was lined with stone before the canal was ready. The canal itself was limited to a preselected area of the map so the player had no choice where to do build it. The other grand project was the construction of the two versions of the Great Wall. Again the location was predetermined. Both projects took considerable time to construct, labor, and resources. The earliest example was digging the foundation for pyramids in Pharoah.
Last edited by Keith on Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khopesh Sidearm

Postby Khopesh Sidearm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:44 am

"Keith" wrote:
It would add some "depth" to the game if such projects could be included. I agree that they should consume considerable resources and take quite some time to complete.

I agree. It would be great to change the terrain to suit your purposes but it shouldn't be easy. The landscape adds so much character to the game, and if we can all just make everything flat, featureless and arable with some money and three dudes with shovels I think we'll lose some of the flavor of the game.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:57 am

Also, besides the levelling option, which should be expensive and slow, there should be th possibility to build on uneven terrain, as it happened in middle age, maybe at a higher cost or at a lower efficiency.

JaAchan daVariso

Postby JaAchan daVariso » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:31 am

Maybe you'd need to set up a guild or such, you can't remove large trees anymore without a working woodcutters guild, and they'd have to work on it for a bit. Uneven terrain could be "flatten", either raised or lowered, by a different guild.

This way you could have a level that has very difficult terrain to build on, since you have to landscape a lot of the given map. It'd be a challenge on its own.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:47 am

I would rather have the possibility to build on rough/ uneven terrain at a cost. Like in Tropico 3 and 4 it extends the build time and I think the cost. Then the image would have to match that it was built on uneven terrain. That is something that would allow for some extra solutions but obviously not able to build on super steep terrain.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:51 am

"Czech Centurian" wrote:I would rather have the possibility to build on rough/ uneven terrain at a cost. Like in Tropico 3 and 4 it extends the build time and I think the cost. Then the image would have to match that it was built on uneven terrain. That is something that would allow for some extra solutions but obviously not able to build on super steep terrain.

In Middle age most of towns were built on uneven terrain to obtain defensive bonus.

velociraptor2000

Postby velociraptor2000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:24 pm

While I love having lots of flat terrain to build large cities as I like (and who doesn't) I hope to see some hills too as someone said earlier. How to implement that? Simple... just some concentric low-level hills, with few entraces here and there, and ofc some nice space between "levels" (actually those levels are nothing else but immaginary since the terrain will be flat but it may gives the impression of a hill). If the engine would be similar to C3-P-Z-E games. Else maybe we ll see some 3D hills.

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”