Reforesters

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
Ashkir

Reforesters

Postby Ashkir » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:48 am

Sometimes we clear out too much grasslands and forests for a city plan, but, then we decide not to. I would like for an option of a reforester building/workplace to allow us to designate areas to allow nature to take back over, for the trees to regrow, grass to come back.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:27 pm

It would be interesting to have pastures that would need to be "rested" and flocks or herds moved to a fresh one.

In the past, you plunk down your farm and forget about it year after year. Caesar IV had pastures, but the produced ths same number of animals every year and never had to spend any time recovering.

The gathering of fodder and hay for winter feed might also be a good resource to include as part of the farmer's technology tree.

Atts

Postby Atts » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:22 am

"Ashkir" wrote:Sometimes we clear out too much grasslands and forests for a city plan, but, then we decide not to. I would like for an option of a reforester building/workplace to allow us to designate areas to allow nature to take back over, for the trees to regrow, grass to come back.

In regards to this perhaps have areas such as Gardens, Plazas, Gazebos and other wildgrowth type items to be tended by the reforesters as well. Maybe even improving the appeal of the surrounding areas with sufficient tending?

Something that always annoyed me about the previous games is the constant need to add statues instead of good old gardens to increase appeal.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Besides reforesting there should be a deforesting, which was an important activity at the time, in order to get plowable land.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm not sure there were such things as a "reforester". At that time conservation wasn't much of a concern and the number of trees available far outweighed the number or people and demand for wood. The emphasis was more on the "deforestation" and making usable farmland and pastures.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 pm

http://suite101.com/article/life-in-an-english-medieval-forest-a67739

You could have something like the forest law. Which if you did not protect the forest well enough you would lose favour with the king.

This is also another interesting site: http://dolly.jorgensenweb.net/medievalresources.html which does suggest that resources where managed in medieval times.
Last edited by Czech Centurian on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:50 am

Coppice was a vital part of living in those days.

velociraptor2000

Postby velociraptor2000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:37 pm

This reminds me of Pharaoh and it's Nile Floods that in some years were very rich while in others... it brings famine and death.

Flammehav

Postby Flammehav » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:22 am

The first planned version of sustainable use of resources(at least in any noticeable scale), was between 1600 and 1700 in Germany I think. Some guy divided up the forest in 60 equal parts, one to be used and planted each year. So that would be several hundred years prematurely to think of resource managing like that.

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”