Gradual introduction

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
JaAchan daVariso

Gradual introduction

Postby JaAchan daVariso » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:49 am

I'm currently playing through Caesar IV, after having played through Pharaoh and Emperor[1]. One thing I noticed is that the building options in Caesar IV seem to be ready from the get-go. While I can see that some players like it that way, to me it's not so clear. It, for me, prevents me from encountering new elements along the way. I'm at level four or so, and I already have seen all the buildings safe for the Barber Shop, Temple, Basilica and the two highest entertainment buildings. Yes, I can build all the things right away, which means I can focus on city building, but it feels more like yet another city, instead of the "hey, this is new". You also end up having to learn how to fit everything together in one go. In The Old Days™, you'd make a plan for the subset of buildings you had access to. In later levels, you'd learn how to fit in this new building. This made the first few levels with a new building a new experience.

The same goes for the housing - in Pharaoh you'd need to evolve a building from crude hut to palatial estate, while in Caesar IV it feels a lot more like "just put a fancy building."

All in all it feels a little oversimplified to me. I'm not sure why, the total amount of complexity in the end seems to be the same. I figured I'd start a threat to get people's insight on it.

[1] I've played Zeus and Caesar III too, but that's been too long. I've played CotN till level 3, never did get beyond that. This forum should allow sigs so we can put our "experience" in it :)

Atts

Postby Atts » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:29 am

In alot of ways the oversimplification is good i've found, the issues i always had with Pharoash and Caesar 3 where the constant evolve and devolve of buildings if a walker is a second late, at times this threw my economy into total chaos, perhaps i'm a bad mayor but in this day an age a player needs a certain level of simplicity to enjoy a game.

As for the introduction phase, i agree, something i really enjoyed about Pharoah was the constant adding of new buildings over a decent amount of time.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:36 am

Many of the buildings in Caesar IV evolve as your city grows. Sounds to me more like you want to go back to the old style where the actual footprint of the building itself would change as it evolved. This ruined many people's nice block designs because the buildings in them kept changing size as they improved to the next level or fell back to a lower level. In Caesar IV the buldings don't tend to do that they just change in appearance but not size.

I really dont miss that aspect at all.

JaAchan daVariso

Postby JaAchan daVariso » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:47 pm

"Atts" wrote:In alot of ways the oversimplification is good i've found, the issues i always had with Pharoash and Caesar 3 where the constant evolve and devolve of buildings if a walker is a second late, at times this threw my economy into total chaos.

I remember this too, it was very strict. But this mechanism is the same in Caesar IV, and it's not nearly as strict there. That's ok in my book, doesn't take anything of my post. In Caesar IV you can still have buildings devolve. That's a matter of tweaking it just right - not to easy, and not too strict.

"Keith" wrote:Sounds to me more like you want to go back to the old style where the actual footprint of the building itself would change as it evolved.
This ruined many people's nice block designs because the buildings in them kept changing size as they improved to the next level or fell back to a lower level.

No, the change of footprint isn't the thing I'm arguing for. Though I object against it ruining people's block designs - either you plan for palatial estates, or you don't. You can't expect a city to stay exactly where you put it. But that they took it out was my relief as well :) Worst case was when it devolved down a size and suddenly wasn't connected to the road anymore. Or re-evolved over your gardens... Still, you could do that better by letting the player decide how a building expands. In Anno 1404, you could say "Nobody evolves their building until I say they may!". That worked ok.

But it all to me seems much too straightforward. Do X, you're done. Do Y, you're done. It loses some of its charm to me.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 pm

All the buildings are not available when you start the Caesar IV campaign.

velociraptor2000

Postby velociraptor2000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:31 pm

If the housing evolution will be like in Caesar3 or Pharaoh... would be the best. Its just another feeling when you wait a building to be build or evolve and another feeling when you "plop" a building.

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”