Market share access

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
FlaviusCarter

Market share access

Postby FlaviusCarter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Is the market strategy for this game solely using download via internet, or will everybody be able to buy it (like the original CoTN for example)? Accessibility in or via a game store is an important market share to consider in light of the many who have no internet access outside of borrowed or public access. Ten years ago or so I could walk into a game store and get any PC game on the market, and there were a few shelves for other types. It was the time when "PC's rule/ consoles s..."(don't). Today I see the stores thriving from console sales, but PC developers aren't benefiting from it. This is a market the PC developer has all but abandoned. Today, and probably a decade from now I'll still be playing Children of the Nile, and Civ 2 and 3, and Space Empires 4 deluxe, and Railroad Tycoon deluxe/II/III; and Space Colony, and CivCity Rome; not to mention Deus Ex, Conquest of the New World, Postal 2, and many others which can be reinstalled and patched whenever a hard drive bites the dust. These and more, past giants (ID, POPTOP, G.O.D. Ion Storm...etc) are well remembered and missed. More recent titles will last only as long as the company remains, and the reinstall can be connected to a living entity. Thoughts to consider.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:20 pm

They haven't said if it will be available in a boxed version. I'm reasonably certain that it will be available as a digital download from a place like STEAM, where TM has it's other games listed. Boxed games are much more expensive to make and distribute.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:20 pm

PC sales are booming right now in the digital space. Through Steam, gog, gamersgate etc...

Boxed products are dead to me and will probably be dead to everyone soon.

Spiritbw

Postby Spiritbw » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:16 pm

"Czech Centurian" wrote:PC sales are booming right now in the digital space. Through Steam, gog, gamersgate etc...

Boxed products are dead to me and will probably be dead to everyone soon.

I hope not. For those of us in areas with download caps it would start getting expensive should our systems crash and we have to get everything form the cloud.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:11 am

[quote="Press Release]"Medieval Mayor will be available for download next year for PC and tablet."[/quote]

Indeed, as Keith said no mention of a boxed version, however it does appear to be very much focussed on download if tablets are among the target audience as well.

MegaNooby

Postby MegaNooby » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:00 pm

I think old school gamers would like to get the actual CD or DVD as a collector thing.

For example, this video of a guy with the ultimate Mega Man games set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4R3SdIwfNY

Marius

Postby Marius » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 pm

The GOG.com model is good as you get to DOWNLOAD a DRM FREE version of the software and as successive OS's spawn, they say the software will be updated. Steam is a bit more tricky as you could play offline indefinitely for most titles if Steam went under or got closed down, OR your country/region got cut off due to USA DRM trolls. Some you would just be cut off from without recompense.

Disclosure: I now use both GOG and Steam. GOG is always my first choice even if the product was a couple bucks more. Steam is for stuff like Anno 2070 (which is snafu'd with double DRM ... works but ... damn intrusive).

I would hope for "collectors" that Box Art would be produced and "for the love of God" COLOUR .PDF files for the manual so someone could print their manual out decently. Did i say COLOUR??? Does anyone else hate cruddy grayscale .pdf's? COLOUR could fix that. Even COLOR for Amer-english.

I doubt there will be a released box version, but if TM held control on their title instead of releasing it through EA or some such, they could do a release in hardcopy so to speak. Doing the indie route through GOG(or Steam if you must) would also allow more expensive boxed limited edition boxed copies to be released direct from TM. Make them $50 per copy and have a nice booklet and a medieval coin or somesuch inside.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Agreed, GoG is great, GoG is good! it's like GoG is one of us.

I am a collector, I have somewhere around 1000 games with Boxes, Manuals, CD's, Disc's or Floppies. I will admit I have gotten rid of a few Cartridge and Cassette games, afterall the Vic 20 stopped working after it was introduced to a can of Pepsi by a friend.

And YES!!! I will pay more for a boxed version, complete with CD/DVD and DRM free or at least playable locally without internet connection.

I dislike the online stores like Steam although I do have 50+ steam titles many of them purchased with a box and CD but Unplayable if there is no internet connection (Damm DRM!) I have lost 5-10 games when the online store closed or stopped supporting them, they were so bad I don't remember the names anymore although I do know I have had to buy Railroad Tycoon 3 times and Terminal Velocity 3 times, CoTN 3 times, Caesar IV 2 times I'm sure there are more but some of the games I lost I have not bothered re-buying.

I do believe that any online store or service can and will go away eventually. Sometimes they will just close and your "$#!+ out of luck" and other times the items may be bought by someone else.

I would expect the Apple App Store to remain as long as Apple does, same for the Google Play Store and Google Inc., but eventually even they will go away...
:cool:

Flammehav

Postby Flammehav » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:02 pm

I REALLY, REALLY hope there will be a boxed version where I can get the manual in paper, and I gladly pay for it. I guess most of those who wants a boxed version is 25-30+, they got the money to pay extra for the physical copy, and most of them will gladly put out the extra money to get one.

The city building series cater to a group that is on average a bit older than most games do, and while games that have a target age of 15-20 years it would probably not be profitable to make a boxed copy, but for city building games it can be.

One thing also to remeber is that this group is a very loyal costumer group to the games we play. I bought every singele game and expansion in the city building series since my first game fo them , CasearIII, I bough every single game and all expansions in the nation building games from Paradox since EU2 and so on. When we find games/geners we like we stick to them, makeing them soley avaiable from steam could loose you a lot of costumers(There is ONE expansion I didn't buy and that is the fourth expansion for EU3, becouse it was only avaiable via download, I did buy the whole game again when the 5th expansion came in a boxed version(I now have bought the orginal game 3 times, and the 2 first expansions twice, and yes I pay more to be able to not rely on Steam).

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:46 pm

"Flammehav" wrote:I REALLY, REALLY hope there will be a boxed version where I can get the manual in paper, and I gladly pay for it. I guess most of those who wants a boxed version is 25-30+, they got the money to pay extra for the physical copy, and most of them will gladly put out the extra money to get one.

The city building series cater to a group that is on average a bit older than most games do, and while games that have a target age of 15-20 years it would probably not be profitable to make a boxed copy, but for city building games it can be.

One thing also to remeber is that this group is a very loyal costumer group to the games we play. I bought every singele game and expansion in the city building series since my first game fo them , CasearIII, I bough every single game and all expansions in the nation building games from Paradox since EU2 and so on. When we find games/geners we like we stick to them, makeing them soley avaiable from steam could loose you a lot of costumers(There is ONE expansion I didn't buy and that is the fourth expansion for EU3, becouse it was only avaiable via download, I did buy the whole game again when the 5th expansion came in a boxed version(I now have bought the orginal game 3 times, and the 2 first expansions twice, and yes I pay more to be able to not rely on Steam).

I agree!!!! PLEASE sell it on DVD

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”