Service buildings requiring goods

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
mad_genius

Service buildings requiring goods

Postby mad_genius » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Do you remember how in emperor rotmk there were some service buildings that required goods to function.
There was a building that required paper (i think it was the tax collector, right?) and there was an actor's school or something that required silk.

Why not having an herbalist building in medieval mayor that has to collect herbs from the wilderness (scattered in some places through the map like in forests or in grass plains near a lake or river) or depend on an herd gatherer building to collected them. those herbs could function as a raw material that you can import/export and store in the warehouse.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:32 pm

I guess that does make sense, except that unless done by monks, such people may have been considered witches or some other kind of heretic?

I would guess woodloggers, hunters and the like could function similarly.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Were there "herbalists"?

Herbs were most likely used, of course, but were there actually people dedicated to that sort of job. Many of the remedies back then were homebrewed and might have been collected by the individual or members of the family and friends.

I'd like them to stick to historical accuracy in regard to the walker types in the game versus something that was made up just because it might be a cool idea.

If herbalists did in fact exist at the end of the dark ages and start of medieval times then by all means include them if possible.

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:25 pm

more likley witches than herbalists. lol.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:08 am

I might be wrong, but isn't being a "witch" more of a christian era concept?

Since most of the population during this period was probably pagan it might be more accurate to say "shaman," or something similar.

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:05 am

Christian era started in 33AD.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:03 am

True. I should have specified a date.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Since most of my knowledge of the medieval times stems from novels, I did a quick read up on "herbalism" on Wikipedia:

Since the early Middle Ages herbalism was a craft performed by Benedictine Monastaries. In the Arab world, herbalism was actively studied but I guess the Arab world will not be incorporated in Medieval Mayor.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:15 pm

It would figure, since most learning and knowledge was held by the church in europe around those times. After all, besides noblemen, monks were the only ones who could read and write for the most part.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Maybe the only people, most, if not all, of nobles were illitterate.

tobing

Postby tobing » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:07 am

Some of the richer people could afford to get educated, or have their children be educated. Most merchands were able to read and write, there were contracts of all kinds, and of course they also had a good knowledge about numbers and basic maths. Schools didn't exist however, but private teacher and savants who were teaching kids at some castle or so. Then the monasteries offered education, for a price however, either lots of money, or new adepts. Many of these left the monastery however, because they went there for education, not because they wanted to become a priest or a monk.

The simple people had no chance for education, because that always needed money that they didn't have. But again, some people in a village had knowledge, and that knowledge was given to younger people by talking stories, or teaching crafts. Most common knowledge about herbalism was circulated from elder to younger people, and also by travelers. People were traveling a lot, mostly on foot...

The problem about herbalism was, that it was mostly women having that knowledge, as well as knowledge about childbirth, but men were generally suspicious about this, especially doctors and priest and the like. This eventually led to women being burned as witches...

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:47 am

I like service building requiring goods.

Maybe there could also be modes. Casual mode where the building does not need anything and then the way we want to play with service buildings requiring goods to operate.

I think it could open up the game to people who just want to plonk down buildings and play a bit and for people who want to be more intricate as well.

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”